Good news

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, as you guys know, i have been looking for a kaju Sifu for awhile now. There is a guy in Athens, about 90 minutes away, but he isnt teaching anywhere yet.

I noticed on the Cafe that Sigung Burt Vickers was out of Houston now, and thats just 2-2 1/2 hours away, so I emailed him, and we talked on the phone for over an hour. Turns out, he started in TKD in Dallas in the 80's just like me, so we know alot of the same people.

I have seen video of him, so I know he moves well, and he is one of Richard Peralta's blackbelts, so I know he knows his stuff. He is Original Method, which is what i am interested in, and, and this is important to me, he and I agree on whats going on in Kajukenbo in Texas right now. Which is.........a very strange situation to say the least.

When I explained my history, my background in TKD and Kenpo, and my desire to learn Kaju, he was more than open to having me come down and train. He invited me down this weekend in fact, but I am testing one of my students, so I cant do it this weekend, but we have plans to get together soon.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is good news TF. Good luck and welcome to the Ohana

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
I will volunteer Danjo to be the first to "lei" you.LOL

I slay me!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good to hear that you have found an end to one of your searches, TF :tup:. I know how frustrating it is to want to learn something and not be able to find a teacher for it.

For me, it's sai that I'm after tuition in.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I may have finally found myself a kaju teacher. YES

OK. You got me. What's kaju? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Postscript: Never mind. Not only am I lazy, I didn't look at the top of this thread:

Kajukenbo Kajukenbo is a hybrid martial art that combines Karate, Judo, Jujutsu, Kenpo, and Chinese Boxing. It was invented in 1947 in Oahu, Hawaii, at the Palamas Settlements, to deal with local crime, as well as to help the people defend themselves from U.S. Navy sailors who would drink and fight with the locals. The inventors were Sijo Adriano Emperado, Peter Young Yil Choo, Joe Holck, Frank Ordonez, and Clarence Chang, who called themselves the Black Belt Society. The name works in two ways: "ka" ("long life"), "ju" ("happiness"), "ken" ("fist"), "bo" ("style") or "ka" ("karate"), "ju" ("judo"/"jujutsu"), "ken" ("kenpo"), "bo" (Chinese "boxing").

Looks pretty damn interesting, probably not something for mass consumption, I suspect.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's easy. Take a deep breath and let it out slowly and noisily while slowly shaking your head...er...hold on! That's how you "Sigh" never mind.

Oi! I'll do the pun attacks around here if you don't mind, thank you ever so much! :lol:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TF when do anticipate going maybe I would be able to join you down there.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Danjo,
I am really liking the grab arts. 1-2 not so much, but 3 and 4 are very cool.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats on finding a new art! Best of luck with your training! :)

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Danjo,
I am really liking the grab arts. 1-2 not so much, but 3 and 4 are very cool.

So you did get to train this weekend TF? Are you learning that 1-2-3 against two hand grabs? The thing with those is that you're actually not supposed to be grabbed.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
just2,
I didnt get to go down there this last weekend, but i plan to asap. but he sent me some stuff to work on.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
just2,
I didnt get to go down there this last weekend, but i plan to asap. but he sent me some stuff to work on.

Right on. Let me know how you like the training.

The thing I like about it is the fact that in everything we do, there is never any wasted motion.