United States Taekwondo Committee - What it is about

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Got this info sent to me today:

UNITED STATES TAEKWONDO COMMITTEE
INFORMATION SHEET

The following information is provided primarily to Dojang Owners who are seeking information about the United States Taekwondo Committee in an effort to help them to decide whether to join our organization or not.

The United States Taekwondo Committee (USTC) was formed on August 11, 2007 with the purpose of spreading the development and growth of the Martial Arts aspects of Taekwondo. We seek to promote the non-Olympic sport aspect of Taekwondo. To that end, the USTC hosted an International Hanmadang Referee Certification Course in February 2008 that was attended by 230 Masters and Grand Masters. The USTC then hosted the 2008 World Hanmadang in July 2008 in Los Angeles, CA, marking just the first time that the World Hanmadang was held outside of Korea. USTC is hosting a Kukkiwon International Poomsae Seminar in Dallas, TX on December 6-7, 2008, followed by another International Hanmadang Referee Certification and Refresher Course that will be held in April 2009 in Chicago, IL. Also, the USTC will be hosting the first United States National Hanmadang in June 2009 in Chicago, IL. All of this from such a young, fledgling organization, and with more to come!

An organization that exists primarily to stress the Martial Arts aspects of Taekwondo should appeal to all Dojang owners because, as you well know, only two (2) percent of your students are motivated to become Olympic Taekwondo athlete. The other 98% of your students practice Taekwondo for reasons other than making the Olympic team. Those reasons may include the following: Discipline, Self-Defense, Health Improvement, Self-Control, etc. All Taekwondo dojangs approach the study of Taekwondo by teaching a variety of kicks and punches, self-defense techniques, Poomsae (forms), and perhaps sparring techniques. Students young and old practice these activities daily in Taekwondo dojangs around the world. That is why we currently number over 70 million Taekwondo practitioners worldwide. So, ask yourselves- What is the chance of one of my students making an Olympic Taekwondo Team? The Olympics currently consists of only 128 athletes in total, male and female.
What chance does my student have of making it to a Taekwondo World Championship? The Taekwondo World Championship consists of national teams that can consist of no more than 8 male and 8 female athletes from each participating country. What about the other millions of Taekwondo practitioners around the world? What is there for them, as far as International or World competitions?

The fact is that the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) is the international Governing Body for the Olympic Sport of Taekwondo. Presently, only Olympic Sparring is an Olympic event. Poomsae is not an Olympic Sport event. Additionally, USA Taekwondo is the National Governing Body for the Olympic sport of Taekwondo in America. Their charter is to select a team representing the USA that will compete at WTF events such a World Cup, World Championships, Pan Am Games, and the Olympic Games. So, the pecking order is as follows: The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is the world governing body for all Olympic sports. They recognize one international sports body for each sport. That internationally recognized body for Taekwondo is the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF). The WTF, in turn, recognizes one national governing body (NGB) in each of its member countries. In the USA that NGB is USA Taekwondo.

Kukkiwon is the World Taekwondo Headquarters and is located in Seoul, Korea, as is the World Taekwondo Federation. Kukkiwon is charged with developing and promoting the Martial Art of Taekwondo globally. The martial art aspect of Taekwondo includes all areas that are not under the auspices of the Olympic Sport of Taekwondo- Poomsae, Breaking, Self-Defense, etc. These are the same aspects that the other 98% of Dojang students practice and in which they excel. Kukkiwon is also the International Body responsible for Dan Promotions and the licensing of Taekwondo Instructors. As you may see, Kukkiwon has a totally different responsibility and mission to promote Taekwondo globally. Sometimes, the WTF and Kukkiwon act cooperatively. For example, participants at WTF events must have Dan Certification from Kukkiwon.

The United States Taekwondo Committee is set up as a corollary organization to USA Taekwondo, only it is under the auspices of Kukkiwon. We follow closely the Kukkiwon mission of promoting the Martial Arts aspects of Taekwondo in the United States of America. We are not in competition with USA Taekwondo. We make no attempts to field a team of athletes to compete in Olympic competition. Rather, we promote participation of Taekwondo students young and old in the Taekwondo Hanmadangs.

A Hanmadang is simply a Taekwondo Festival. Hanmadangs include performances in High Kicks, Speed Kicks with breaking, Power Breaks, Poomsae performed solo, in pairs, and in teams. We also have Creative Poomsae divisions that include extreme weapons. There are also divisions for family members to perform as a team. Self-Defense divisions include individual and team performances as well. So, all of this represents directly what every Dojang owner already teaches in his/her school. All of this celebrates the martial arts aspects of Taekwondo and is attractive to the whole family.

Here is a diagram that shows the relationship between WTF and USAT, and between Kukkiwon and USTC:

WTF KUKKIWON
' '
USA Taekwondo United States Taekwondo Committee

From this diagram, you should be able to tell that we are separate organizations with distinct different paths to follow.

We suggest that all Dojang owners consider participating with the United States Taekwondo Committee for the large percentage of your students who may not be interested in trying to make an Olympic team.

OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A quick search shows that it is the new name for the United States Tae Kwon Do Federation (USTF)...
http://www.ustaekwondofederation.com
Just to explain a bit further. When they first began this group, they called themselves the United States Taekwondo Federation prior to knowing that there was already an organization with that name. So after the Hanmadang they made the changes to United States Taekwondo Committee. They are in no way shape or form related to the USTF that I believe is ran by GM Chuck Sherref.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to explain a bit further. When they first began this group, they called themselves the United States Taekwondo Federation prior to knowing that there was already an organization with that name. So after the Hanmadang they made the changes to United States Taekwondo Committee. They are in no way shape or form related to the USTF that I believe is ran by GM Chuck Sherref.

Correct - and how they could miss that I'm not sure; it was founded in 1973. GM Sereff's USTF site can be found here.

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
An old post to be sure, nevertheless I am interested to find out what it's current status is. They don't seem to update their website very often. Is it worth being a member of?

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Along with a WHOLE lot of $$$ that was never accounted for.

Operated by Sang Lee, former head of the USTU which was the NGB before USAT was established and Sang and many others were unceremoniously told to not let the door hit them in the a$$ on the way out.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont think thats a big secret with anyone.

I think what is no big secret is that people like to speak about things that they have no personal knowledge about. I have all the documents from that era sitting in banker's boxes in my garage. How about you?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea but this being America people have a right to say and talk about anything they like, including the old USTU, USAT,AAU or the USTC, USTF or any other org. Come on puunui I know you back alot of the USTU but they was far from perfect, but at the sametime no one is or will ever be. Not saying anything negative just saying people have a right to talk about subjects that others may ne like.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How do you get your car in your garage or get in your house for that matter? If you are to be believed you are an "expert" in everything dealing with past Korean TKD and have literature and books on all of it. Wow. And you you are also the only one with any knowledge of any of it. Sometimes you have some great things to say and I like to read it, then other times you come off as a completely arrogant sob... Its obvious you are a devoted "follower" and thats fine for you. But maybe, just maybe you need to peek out of your safe box and see the real world once in a while.

I think what is no big secret is that people like to speak about things that they have no personal knowledge about. I have all the documents from that era sitting in banker's boxes in my garage. How about you?

tinker1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bit of a thread jack..

I've met with GM Sang Lee a few times at his Dojang in Monument CO.

Seriously... I have NEVER seen a Dojang like this... it's amazing.. it's a frigging palace! Huge entry hall.. with a receptionist and MARBLE FLOORS!.. holy cow.. It's a stand alone building near Walmart (excellent business location).. with maybe 8000+ square feet of space. Huge training floor. GM Lee has inner and outer offices.. as I said, it's a palace!

The only other Dojang I've seen that even remotely compares is GM Kim's place in Valejo CA.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only other Dojang I've seen that even remotely compares is GM Kim's place in Valejo CA.

Have you been to the new dojang on Springs Road? I believe it is 14,000 square feet. He is my direct senior. We went to the same high school.

But you would be amazed that the dojang now. Many have their own stand alone buildings. It's not like these examples are exceptions to the rule.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you get your car in your garage or get in your house for that matter? If you are to be believed you are an "expert" in everything dealing with past Korean TKD and have literature and books on all of it. Wow. And you you are also the only one with any knowledge of any of it. Sometimes you have some great things to say and I like to read it, then other times you come off as a completely arrogant sob... Its obvious you are a devoted "follower" and thats fine for you. But maybe, just maybe you need to peek out of your safe box and see the real world once in a while.

I'll take that to mean that you have no documents. And I never said that I am the only one. There are lots of people out there who also have the documents.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yea but this being America people have a right to say and talk about anything they like, including the old USTU, USAT,AAU or the USTC, USTF or any other org.

Actually you don't have the right to say and talk about anything you like. You cannot lie under oath for example, or you will be charged with perjury. There are also laws about fraud and misrepresentation, not to mention libel and slander.

Come on puunui I know you back alot of the USTU but they was far from perfect, but at the sametime no one is or will ever be. Not saying anything negative just saying people have a right to talk about subjects that others may ne like.

Never said it was perfect. But just because it was not perfect does mean that we can or should perpetuate "rumor, speculation, innuendo" and falsehoods. Like I said, I have all the documents, all the financials, and every single written complaint sent to the USTU/USOC. All of this was subject to a lawsuit. It was because of those kinds of falsehoods and unsubstantiated complaints that we now have USAT, which everyone will tell you is ten times, a hundred times, a thousand times worse than what we had before. I would think that people would have learned from that experience. If you wish to continue with the negativity and falsehood, then by all means go ahead, just as long as you or anyone else is willing to accept the consequences of such actions, for yourself and for the future generations of Taekwondoin. Because that is what is at stake.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've met with GM Sang Lee a few times at his Dojang in Monument CO. Seriously... I have NEVER seen a Dojang like this... it's amazing.. it's a frigging palace! Huge entry hall.. with a receptionist and MARBLE FLOORS!.. holy cow.. It's a stand alone building near Walmart (excellent business location).. with maybe 8000+ square feet of space. Huge training floor. GM Lee has inner and outer offices.. as I said, it's a palace!

Some people out there will take your story and say "See, that is evidence that money was stolen!". But the fact of the matter is that President Lee was the subject of an IRS audit and after that was completed, the IRS gave President Lee a $1500 refund because he overpaid on his taxes. These are the kinds of facts that I am talking about, specific direct facts, vs. passing on hearsay conclusions about this or that without a factual basis.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions