United Methodists Upset with BuSh, Cheney..

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of BuSh going to church, seen Here, in a leter from Methodist clergymen ...of course, BuSh and Cheney are a splinter sect of Ostensible Methodists...:lol:

George W. Bush, in his role as President of the United States of America and Commander in Chief, and Dick Cheney in his role as Vice-President, led the United States into an illegal war against the sovereign nation of Iraq. In article 23 of our Doctrinal Standards and General Rules (2000 Discipline, p.65) the U.S. government is described as "a sovereign and independent nation, and ought not to be subject to any foreign jurisdiction." We hold that Iraq is also a "sovereign and independent nation" and is granted the same rights as the United States, no matter what anyone's opinion is of its former head of state. Attacking a sovereign nation except in cases of legitimate self-defense is a violation of international law.
We, the undersigned, are also very much disturbed by President Bush's many references to the significance of Christian faith in the decisions that he has made as President of the United States. George W. Bush has called Jesus his "favorite philosopher", said that Jesus changed his life, and that his decisions are often guided by prayer. In fact, we feel that most of his actions as president have directly contradicted the philosophy of Jesus. Jesus said to feed, clothe, and shelter the "least of these", not to starve, strip, and bomb them.
We are also concerned that the respondents seem completely ignorant of their denomination's stances on many weighty moral issues and have consistently ignored the advice and pleadings of their own Council of Bishops. We, the undersigned, recognize that the Methodist tradition is founded on both support and accountability. Our leaders and our members have tried to support the respondents with prayers and petitions, but we fear it has been to no avail. At this point, we cannot be expected to "encourage and enjoin obedience to the powers that be" (2000 Discipline, p.66) when they are reckless and irresponsible with power given them by our democratic process.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Man, I hate Dubya and his administration as much as the next person, but this reads as nothing more than a PC press release from a clergyman. To put it bluntly, so what?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And I'm "ostensibly" Baptist... and I haven't been to church in 20 years or so. As RP700 said... so what?

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
And I'm "ostensibly" Baptist... and I haven't been to church in 20 years or so. As RP700 said... so what?

Well, didya red the letter? About how Mr. Bush's facorite philosopher is Jesus, and about how many of his actions as Chief Executive are interpreted as against Jesus's and the Methodist Church's teachings?

As for not attending church-I promised TwinFist and BigDon I'd post about BuSh attending church.......heck, I'm "ostensibly" Episcopalian-dad was an Episcopal priest, granddad was an Episcopal priest-but the last time I went to church was in January for my sister's funeral, and it was the first time in a while....I really don't care...hrck, if my dad were alive, he'd say I'm an "all the way" heathen, nothing "ostensible" about it...and he'd be right.:lol:

Nah, that's not true. In all seriousness, how I pray or how Mr. Bush prays is none of your or anyone else's business, in my opinion. It is interesting that he's pissed of some members of his church, though.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I must have missed the thread where you posted your medical degree. My what, exactly?

It's like that thing where a boy asks out a girl and she says no thanks. He replies well you must be a lesbian then.

Boy : Do you support BuSH?
Girl : No I don't
Boy : Well you must be mentally ill then.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's like that thing where a boy asks out a girl and she says no thanks. He replies well you must be a lesbian then.

Boy : Do you support BuSH?
Girl : No I don't
Boy : Well you must be mentally ill then.
Not at all, but, there is a tendency among the liberals in this country, to blame President Bush for any and everything that goes wrong.
No rain?
Bush's fault
Too much rain?
Bush's fault
New Orleans struck by hurricane, school busses left to sit in flooded parking area rather than evacuating people?
Bush's fault

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not at all, but, there is a tendency among the liberals in this country, to blame President Bush for any and everything that goes wrong.
No rain?
Bush's fault
Too much rain?
Bush's fault
New Orleans struck by hurricane, school busses left to sit in flooded parking area rather than evacuating people?
Bush's fault

Which, incidentally enough, isn't what I said earlier. In fact, despite how much I despise Bush & Co., you may notice that my post earlier in this thread was actually in their defense. All I said was that I hate the current administration, which I do. You proceeded to claim I had BDS. Tez' analogy stands.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No rain?
Bush's fault
Too much rain?
Bush's fault
Bush's fault

Of course it's his fault! He took on a position of privilege and power possibly the most powerful position in the world today, he lives in luxury and security. The downside to that is, as president he is responsible and will be blamed for everything that goes wrong. It's not unique to him, every President will be blamed. it's his job to be blamed! As another President aptly put it "The buck stops here".

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Much ado about nothing. Online petitions have virtually no effect, and in this case, is simply dismissed as one particularly disgruntled person in the United Methodist Church.

I'm sure that I can similarly find one person in one of B. Hussein Obama's churches, that doesn't like him, and have him start a similarly valid (or in the case of the original petitioner, invalid) rant.

Latest Discussions