Unexpected Credentials?

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I recently recieved credentials as an instructor by people I have never had any dealings with. Is this common?
P.S. I am not an instructor in my school, nor have I been an instructor anywhere else.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been involved in structured martial arts through a legitimate established school for five years of continual study and advancement. A few years ago, a member of our federation,with great expertise in the field, began steps to establish and create an original curriculum for Krav Maga. I have been a part of the first class as the materials have been tuned and trimmed for two years. In january, everything was complete and the style was recognized by the KFCF, a small multi state entity. Since then WorldWide Krav Maga , which we never have been and don"t care to be aligned with has recognized us as a legitimate style and has given status as a Krav Maga WorldWide instructor to all of our instructors. and two students. I have never been an instructor in my school in any of four styles I study there but I have been credentialed as a Krav Maga WorldWide instructor? I have never met with them nor them with me, never trained at their events etcetera.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously, such "credentials" are meaningless. Either the organization is trying to inflate their numbers by issuing credentials to people they are not associated with or they are trying to sell you something. (Or both)

How did you find out about the "credentialing"? Did you find your name listed on their website (which would point to the first option) or did you receive a direct communication (which would point to the second)?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is one of the stranger things I have heard. I must admit.

I have sometimes wanted to get a dodgy instructorship. Just to win internet arguments.

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
Aye, I've heard of other organizations doing similar things. I wanted to train some "Wudang" taijiquan in Hawai'i and the fellow offered to send me an instructor's certification before even meeting me in person. Talk about an instant turn off.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
the head of our krav maga study received notification. From what I can gather, Krav Maga Worldwide got my name and that of my main training partner from an instructional video we participated in as ukies. I don't know who leaked the video, it was supposed to be exclusive to our group. There would be no other way for them to find my name in affiliation with our Krav Maga organization and i suppose if someone saw me on our first video curriculum, it might be assumed that I am an instructor in the style. Perhaps someone had a little too much hooch at work. I don't know. I do find it comical.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I have sometimes wanted to get a dodgy instructorship. Just to win internet arguments.

Sure, why not. At my wife's suggestion I purchased a dodgy certificate of ordination as a minister. That way I was able to legally preside at a friends wedding. Amazingly, it went quite well. Now I'm publicly available for weddings, pet funerals, etc. I should probably take up faith healing too. Gotta be some money in that. Praise Iluvatar.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure, why not. At my wife's suggestion I purchased a dodgy certificate of ordination as a minister. That way I was able to legally preside at a friends wedding. Amazingly, it went quite well. Now I'm publicly available for weddings, pet funerals, etc. I should probably take up faith healing too. Gotta be some money in that. Praise Iluvatar.

I have looked into that and it costs almost nothing.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been involved in structured martial arts through a legitimate established school for five years of continual study and advancement. A few years ago, a member of our federation,with great expertise in the field, began steps to establish and create an original curriculum for Krav Maga. I have been a part of the first class as the materials have been tuned and trimmed for two years. In january, everything was complete and the style was recognized by the KFCF, a small multi state entity. Since then WorldWide Krav Maga , which we never have been and don"t care to be aligned with has recognized us as a legitimate style and has given status as a Krav Maga WorldWide instructor to all of our instructors. and two students. I have never been an instructor in my school in any of four styles I study there but I have been credentialed as a Krav Maga WorldWide instructor? I have never met with them nor them with me, never trained at their events etcetera.
Weird. Normally, you have to pay money for fake, meaningless, credentials from some obscure organization.

Maybe they're trying to expand their influence and perceived respect?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Weird. Normally, you have to pay money for fake, meaningless, credentials from some obscure organization.

Maybe they're trying to expand their influence and perceived respect?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

It is a good way to go. Costs the organisation nothing. Gives them legitimacy. An if you are a hybrid who cares.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I have an acquaintance who claimed credentials greater than he'd actually earned for the purpose of "in the interest of getting a point across" (i.e.: winning an internet argument).

It totally screwed him. He is forever tainted.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have an acquaintance who claimed credentials greater than he'd actually earned for the purpose of "in the interest of getting a point across" (i.e.: winning an internet argument).

It totally screwed him. He is forever tainted.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Mma suffers the other way. You get people ring up and ask what belt and apparently a shiny title belt does not have the same prestige as a black belt.

So the argument the other way is legitimate belts are not a true representation of skill anyway so screw em.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mma suffers the other way. You get people ring up and ask what belt and apparently a shiny title belt does not have the same prestige as a black belt.

So the argument the other way is legitimate belts are not a true representation of skill anyway so screw em.
You got that right. We've all known "black belts" who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You got that right. We've all known "black belts" who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If you find yourself trying to fight your way out of a wet paper bag, then you messed up a long time ago. You should never have let yourself be put into the wet paper bag in the first place. That's why in BJJ we believe that if you see someone approaching you with a wet paper bag you should immediately take him down and choke him out before he has a chance to put you into it.

I know some FMA practitioners like to carry a concealed knife for cutting their way out of the bag, but there are too many things that can go wrong with that. If the bag is really wet, then you could end up all slippery, lose your footing, and fall on your own blade. Best to just pre-emptively avoid the whole problem.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I got one of those in the 70's! I forget the name of the ministry now, but It was out of Tarbox, Texas. When I found out there was no such place in Texas - I knew it was legit.

The Lord works in mysterious ways. (especially in Tarbox)

Latest Discussions