"Ultra" competitors

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to MT but as most everyone here, I love to discuss anything TKD. My question to everyone is, how many people here are still competing past the "adult" age limit, into the "ultra" age group(35+). If so, do you feel that there is enough emphasis by TKD organizations promoting the variuos benefits of staying involved in the competition end of the art/sport? I for one feel it is very important to develop our young people for the future of this fine art, but in doing so, don't forget that all the youngsters will someday be oldsters. What and who will be watching out for them then? I hope that someday TKD organizations will more heavily promote the art/sport for adults and not just the young. After all...TKD has kept me young of mind, heart, and spirit. Shouldn't that be promoted as well? Btw, I'm 50 yrs. young and still compete at the national level.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to MT but as most everyone here, I love to discuss anything TKD. My question to everyone is, how many people here are still competing past the "adult" age limit, into the "ultra" age group(35+). If so, do you feel that there is enough emphasis by TKD organizations promoting the variuos benefits of staying involved in the competition end of the art/sport? I for one feel it is very important to develop our young people for the future of this fine art, but in doing so, don't forget that all the youngsters will someday be oldsters. What and who will be watching out for them then? I hope that someday TKD organizations will more heavily promote the art/sport for adults and not just the young. After all...TKD has kept me young of mind, heart, and spirit. Shouldn't that be promoted as well? Btw, I'm 50 yrs. young and still compete at the national level.

Do organization emphasis older competitors inmy endevours not like they should, we are what the sport needs to exsist without us keeping sharpe how do theyexpect the Art/sport to grow. TKDmel you are right it does keep us young and our minds in check but without proper managing by organization the Ultra competitor division get smaller every year, Last year my wife only had three in the woman division at the US open in dallas so it was not a true test of skill for a medal she would have loved to have 10-12 to compete against but until orgs. see dollars signs they will keep going after the younger players.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

I competed til I was 39. Now I enjoy refereeing and coaching.

Miles

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our competition rules (Ch'ang H'on TKD - we used to be ITF) have an over-35 division in which, generally, the brackets are as full as the under-35 ranges. We allow, and encourage, competition through 4th dan (which, for us, is Expert - Master doesn't come in until 7th dan). Like Miles, however, I have stopped competing at most events in favor of refereeing and coaching my students.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm 39 but I still compete "with the kids" in the under-35 divisions.

I still have the ability to remain competitive with the young bucks and it really wouldn't be fair to those in the 35-and-above divisions for me to compete with them, as they are considerably older than 35.

The last tournament I competed in last month I got 1st in breaking and took 2nd in sparring (losing by a single technique just as time ran out) to an extremely talented young 3rd dan who usually blows away his competition, so I was/am kinda proud of myself :)

After all, for me it's not about taking home trophies, it is about challenging myself to see how I perform under pressure situations.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Mel. I'm 39, & while I haven't fought in a tournament in a really long time, I think my student's will encourage me to do it soon. And yes, I'd fight in the "old man's division.":ultracool

Karita

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm a 47-year-old woman and just sparred an 18-year-old woman in a competitive setting . . . it wasn't pretty.

Had I not been encouraged by my instructor to participate, I would not have. I tried to be a good sport and do as asked (plus put up the $$$ fee to participate) and ended up with major bruises. The young woman didn't have enough experience to realize she didn't have to injure me to win.

I didn't have the option of a senior division. My choice now would be to wait for a senior competition or sit out.

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm a 47-year-old woman and just sparred an 18-year-old woman in a competitive setting . . . it wasn't pretty.

Had I not been encouraged by my instructor to participate, I would not have. I tried to be a good sport and do as asked (plus put up the $$$ fee to participate) and ended up with major bruises. The young woman didn't have enough experience to realize she didn't have to injure me to win.

I didn't have the option of a senior division. My choice now would be to wait for a senior competition or sit out.

Karita, I don't know the kind of competition you were in, ie: point, full contact, etc, but in USAT sanctioned tournaments there is usually an Ultra division, 35+ and further broken down by age grouping. I think if you ever have the chance to compete in one of those, you would have a great experience. Try not to be too down about this experience. The "Ultras" need more like you to actively participate in order to change how all organizations promote and encourage adults, whatever age, to stay active, to compete and to challenge ourselves at every phase of our physical, mental and spiritual lives.
From one Ultra to another, " way to go" Karita for giving it your best!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know me and my wife will be competing in California next year at senior national and she will also compete in Florida at t he USA Open. Ultra divivsion in the past do not yield like the younger ones but some of us old timers love to compete.

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know me and my wife will be competing in California next year at senior national and she will also compete in Florida at t he USA Open. Ultra divivsion in the past do not yield like the younger ones but some of us old timers love to compete.

I'll be there as well. Got my sights on some guy named Jeffery Bowers in my division. When the time gets closer we should arrange to meet and say hello in person. Maybe be each others cheering section as well. I don't ever foresee a time when competition will be over for me. Its still a challenge, and I can't turn a challenge down.

Latest Discussions