Ultimatum to US: ‘Criminalise blasphemy or lose consulate’

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[h=1]Ultimatum to US: ‘Criminalise blasphemy or lose consulate’[/h] By Rana Tanveer International Herald Tribune EXCERPT:

Published: September 17, 2012

LAHORE: Several Muslim parties and a Christian group held rallies on Sunday to protest against a movie released in America.

Around 10,000 people participated in the main rally organised on The Mall by the Tehreek Hurmat-i-Rasool (THR). The participants marched from Nila Gumbad to Masjid-i-Shuhada on The Mall. Despite a ban on rallies on The Mall, the road remained blocked for vehicular traffic from noon to 6pm.
The rally was addressed by Jamatud Dawa chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, THR head Ameer Hamza, JD leader Hafiz Abdul Rehman Makki, Pakistan Muslim League (Zia) head Ijazul Haq, Jamaat Ulema Islam-Sami (JUI-S) leader Asim Makhdoom and Jamaat Ahle Hadith ameer Hafiz Abdul Ghaffar Ropari.
One of the participants of the rally, Abdullah Ismail, passed away after he was taken to Mayo Hospital. Witnesses said he had complained of feeling unwell from the smoke from US flags burnt at the rally.
Hafiz Saeed alleged that the film, Innocence of Muslims, had been produced with the backing of US establishment. He said the director, the producer and all those involved in the production and release of the movie must be hanged publicly. “The US must make a law against blasphemy – or we will not let the US consulates in Pakistan function,” he said.
End excerpt

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:shakes head at the insanity that is being shown for all to see:

Why is it that otherwise intelligent people (so I assume) are acting with such evident lack of regard for how their actions (and the actions of those they whip up to a fervour) paint an abhorent picture of their faith before the rest of the world?

It is this sort of action that dances on the edge of the volcano of World War III when governments begin to be flavoured by their religious/ideological fanatics. Given Pakistan's awful track record on many other issues they would be better served to try to present a more rational front than acquiesce to this eye-popped-froth-lipped extremism.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did this really happen?
That's insignificant number considering the alleged "several" groups involved,why would the press even print this. The photo looks like a royalty free image used else where as well for other stories.

Not sure I've seen Muslims and Christian activism working together much before. Looks like propaganda to me.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this meant to be an article around the YouTube video?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Assistant Attorney General dodges question re:blasphemy

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:shakes head at the insanity that is being shown for all to see:

Why is it that otherwise intelligent people (so I assume) are acting with such evident lack of regard for how their actions (and the actions of those they whip up to a fervour) paint an abhorent picture of their faith before the rest of the world?
During the early 80's, when the IRA was really rough and tumble in Ireland, we would regularly see other Christians decrying their actions as UNCHRISTIAN. When Muslim terrorists commit acts of terrorism, the people loudly claiming that those actions aren't inline with Islam, are mostly politicians...
Why does the silent majority of Muslims remain silent? Is it fear of reprisal? Or, tacit approval?
IMO, their fear of reprisal keeps them silent, which looks to all the world, including those Muslims who are terrorists, as tacit approval of terrorism.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ultimatum? Criminalize blasphemy? Thinking religious zealots outside our country will have any effect on the way we run things. Don't these people realize that even the president (who technically runs things) doesn't run things at all, it's still us, the people.

The muslim community outside the US needs to speak up in terms of what they think of the actions of their zealots. Politicians lie, I would rather hear from their people themselves. Or do they not see that the entire world sees them as bat-crap insane.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By pure coincicence, I think it's coincidence at least, today I have been listening to a podcast about Salman Rushdie. Part of it, of course, touched on the notions of censorship and the perhaps more insidious self censorship that fear of repurcussions. It is a most thought provoking fourty minutes or so and reminded me, who had forgotten, just how similar the extremes of emotion and proclaimation were back then for Salman Rushdie's book as they are in the case of that deliberately offensive film:

Start the Week with Andrew Marr
Salman Rushdie 17th September 2012
Mon, 17 Sep 12

Duration:42 mins
In a special edition of Start the Week Andrew Marr talks to Salman Rushdie.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/stw/stw_20120917-0950a.mp3

I don't know if that link will work for those outside the UK, so I've included the details of the podcast to allow people to search for it themselves.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andrew Marr is a good one to interview someone about censorship as he took a 'super' injunction out to stop the press even mentioning his name in conjunction with words such as extra martial affair and cheating etc. He was knocking off some woman and he stops anyone even talking about it, nice.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Err, okay ... I don't see why that could be thought to be relevant?

For clarity's sake, I'll just reiterate that it's Salman Rushdie talking about his experiences with the fatwah rather than Andrew Marr talking about his legal right to curtail salacious gossip.

The nature and nurturing of the freedom of thought as well as speech is rather a different kettle of fish to scandal mongering. Just ask a certain French photographer and magazine :D.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ultimatum? Criminalize blasphemy? Thinking religious zealots outside our country will have any effect on the way we run things. Don't these people realize that even the president (who technically runs things) doesn't run things at all, it's still us, the people.

The muslim community outside the US needs to speak up in terms of what they think of the actions of their zealots. Politicians lie, I would rather hear from their people themselves. Or do they not see that the entire world sees them as bat-crap insane.

We don't hear about the others very often. Covering crowds in the street apologizing to America draws neither the eyeballs of the people who just want to get by, nor the haters, therefore, isn't profitable; and since they're corporations, the only point to the news media is the profit of the shareholders, right, kids?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We don't hear about the others very often. Covering crowds in the street apologizing to America draws neither the eyeballs of the people who just want to get by, nor the haters, therefore, isn't profitable; and since they're corporations, the only point to the news media is the profit of the shareholders, right, kids?

yeah, screw unbias news
(man, we are so F.......)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score

So where are the muslims who want to go out and make a positive image for themselves and their people. How about an Imam record one of their sermons one day teaching peace and upload that, I bet it'll be a hit. What happened to the rational ones who would make a video, write an article, do something of the sort? In the age of the internet we don't need news outlets to make a statement. If the news is not giving them an outlet how come they can't post a few videos on youtube? How many times has a video started trending then become a world wide phenomenon, like the last lecture. Where's their positive statement? Where's their outreach to help make the world as a whole a better place.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So where are the muslims who want to go out and make a positive image for themselves and their people. How about an Imam record one of their sermons one day teaching peace and upload that, I bet it'll be a hit. What happened to the rational ones who would make a video, write an article, do something of the sort? In the age of the internet we don't need news outlets to make a statement. If the news is not giving them an outlet how come they can't post a few videos on youtube? How many times has a video started trending then become a world wide phenomenon, like the last lecture. Where's their positive statement? Where's their outreach to help make the world as a whole a better place.

It would be.

But with all reasonable people in this world, there is one problem:
They are busy making a decent living. They don't have the time to stand on street corners (btw, protests are cheap to by in the US, I can't imagine what 20 dollars buys you in term of a mob in Pakistan...)
And since they are reasonable, they don't tend to be making a lot of noise.

Maybe we should demand better from our media...to not film the loud mouths, but show the whole picture.

There were a small group of Iranians protesting the 9/11 events, pro US. I don't think many people have heard about that.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Let's just post some of those.

libya_protester_apology2.jpg

libya_protester_apology1.jpg

libya_protester_apology3.jpg

slide_250468_1518267_free1.jpg

422892_279019715536009_1443228378_n.jpg

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are Muslims who are trying to make thier lives better. Many of the people involved with the "Arab Spring" would fit that bill. Remember many of those countries have not seen democracy not in decades, but thousands of years. It is niave to think that such revolution in the Middle East is not going to have some problems. There are also an extremist minority that are taking advantage of the vaccumn of power to promote thier own agenda. Normal men and women struggling with such upheaval are doing thier best just trying to survive. So while they do not support the violence, they do not have the resources to make a big deal of it. Add that our own media highlighting the violence because it is great for the news cycle, yet do not show those Muslims who do show support for the US. An example of this is ignoring that the government of Lybia had nothing to do with the attacks and there were even protest against the violence there showing support for both the US and Chris Stephens. Yet many condemned Lybia for the attacked. Violent images sells and the ignorant abound.

Latest Discussions