Uhh.. Lobster anyone? Maybe?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now this ... is weird...
BAR HARBOR, Maine http://www.wftv.com/slideshow/news/2691965/detail.html?qs=;s=28;w=480-- A rare two-toned lobster is seen in Bar Harbor, Maine. The lobster caught by Alan Robinson in Dyer's Bay is a typical mottled green on one side; the other side is a shade of orange that looks cooked. Robinson, of Steuben, donated the lobster to the Mount Desert Oceanarium. Staff members say the odds or finding a half-and-half lobster are 1 in 50 million to 100 million. (07/17/06 AP photo/Bangor Daily News)

Attachments

• $9528729.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 210

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeech! Even living in Maine, you couldn't get me to eat one of those nasty things. There is a reason the Native americans used them for fertilizer and not a food item.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MMmmmm. Lobster. :D

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep! My favorite seafood... to eat!

Ditto (it pains me to have to admit this, Scott—we are so often in perfect agreement... :wink1:)—but with one caveat: they have to be monochrome. It's against my belief system to eat two-toned shellfish...

I have a question about the original lobster that triggered this thread—was the lobster that was donated to the Oceanarium, as per the newstory, alive at the time it was so donated?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a question about the original lobster that triggered this thread—was the lobster that was donated to the Oceanarium, as per the newstory, alive at the time it was so donated?

I would have to say yes it was because it still has the bands on the claws. Don't need those if there is no danger of getting caught by the nasty thing.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

While not having exact knowledge ... I am certain it was donated alive. Lobster are incredibly tough critters. --- I have lobstermen in the family, although - they are too spooky for me to eat.

As I recall, every year at the Marshfield Fair (Mass), they used to have the biggest lobster on display for two weeks. I'm talking HUGE lobsters. Big, Big, Big.

http://www.lobsters.unh.edu/

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have to say yes it was because it still has the bands on the claws. Don't need those if there is no danger of getting caught by the nasty thing.

Good point! I'd noticed the bands but mindless assumed that someone might have done in the critter and neglected to take the bands off... but that wouldn't make much sense, and probably, if that had happened, they'd have said something about the shell of the lobster being donated...

... you know, as I read over this post I'm about to send, it somehow has a Monty Python quality to it... here we are, seriously discussing a two-toned lobster and its fate... I don't know why, but it seems slightly surreal... we need a new smiley for this sort of thing, I'm thinking!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While not having exact knowledge ... I am certain it was donated alive. Lobster are incredibly tough critters. --- I have lobstermen in the family, although - they are too spooky for me to eat.

I can see we are going to have a new, interesting partition of humanity here into two: those who have no problem whatever devouring lobsters (me, Carol and Ceicei so far) and those who do (Scott and MichaelE so far)....

As I recall, every year at the Marshfield Fair (Mass), they used to have the biggest lobster on display for two weeks. I'm talking HUGE lobsters. Big, Big, Big.

Yum, Yum, Yum! :) Did people get to bid on them?

I was at MIT for a few weeks during the summer of 2005 and went with various colleagues to Legal Seafood of an evening or two. At least, that's how it started, and I would invariably get lobster there. It really is my favorite thing out of the water, except maybe for Columbia River king salmon, and you pretty much can't get those anymore. So I would be getting the 1.5lb lobsters, and they were very good... so good that after a while (pretty soon it stopped being `of' an evening and became every evening, pretty much) I was getting the 2lb, then the 2.5lb, and finally the 3lb and up lobsters... they must have loved seeing me come in the door, because they knew they were going to be getting a gigantic tip... those 3 pounders-and-up cost way, way too much... for the first time in my life I really understood how much addicts really need their fixes. It's a good thing I was only in Cambridge for three weeks—I'd have had to take out a new mortgage...

http://www.lobsters.unh.edu/[/QUOTE]

My favorite quote from that site: `Lobsters are not strong osmoregulators. In fact a better term to describe them is hyperosmoconformers.' (emphasis added)

I've always thought that, but figured it was just a personal quirk—I really felt vindicated when I saw this at the UNH site, I can tell you! :D

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What? The Lobsters or the Lobstermen? (j/k) :D
It reminds me of a scene in a Stephen King novel (IT!) where one of the main characters was playing around the railway yard in their home town (in/always in Maine) and a guy tosses him a small crate telling him to "take it home to his muddah..." he does so, on his bike, and getting freaked out by the constant clicking sounds he hears inside (the crate openings are probably too small for him to see inside) ... his mother opens the crate and squeals loudly with delight and pulls out several large lobsters, which, to the kid (Eddie Kasprak) looks like some aliens from outer-space. He refused to eat them.

http://www.lobsters.unh.edu/
Well like how big? I mean as a mainlander I don't see lobsters (which I'll readily devour as quickly as Ceicei and Carol will) any bigger than the two or two and half pounders. Mebbe a foot or more in length from nose to tail.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
How big do they get? Well up to 20+ pounds. This is "Bubba" and the photo is from the National Geographic. Bubba is a 22 pounder. In front of him is a "normal" sized lobster.

Attachments

• $normal and large lobster.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 191

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well like how big? I mean as a mainlander I don't see lobsters (which I'll readily devour as quickly as Ceicei and Carol will) any bigger than the two or two and half pounders. Mebbe a foot or more in length from nose to tail.

From my childhood memory ... the Lobsters we used to see at the fair were in the 35 pound range ... and perhaps 4 feet long.

I did a quick google on 'Big Lobster' and found this:

http://www.ppo2.com/Tony.htm

If I recall correctly, Lobsters can live up to 100 years.

Also, you may have seen blue or yellow lobsters - much like the two colored lobster - they have shell pigment deficiencies.

EDIT -

Oh, and as for eating lobsters - I will occasionally have lobster meat in a salad or roll - but I just don't like prying my meal from out of a shell. King Crab legs is a different story, mind you.

Two things put me off eating lobsters. Back in college, I bought a live lobster for my then girlfriend. Putting a live animal into a pot of boiling water presented an interesting challenge for me. I think I have perhaps outgrown that ... but it is still a spooky thing.

For those of you who like Lobster - I may recommend Papadeaux Resturant. seems to me on Thursday nights (check your local listings) they have all you can eat lobster for $39.00 or so. Having watched colleages plow through 12, 13 or 14 lobsters in a single sitting was such a display of gluttony, I took away a new understanding as to why it earned a spot on the list of seven.

END EDIT

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeech! Even living in Maine, you couldn't get me to eat one of those nasty things. There is a reason the Native americans used them for fertilizer and not a food item.

Amen to that brother!

michaeledward said:
I have lobstermen in the family, although - they are too spooky for me to eat.

Yep..just...ewwwww.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hear ya Carol..We can split bydand's share..

Darn Skippy you two can split mine. Shoot I'll even bring the nasty critters and cook them, as long as I don't have to eat them. I'll stick to a nice thick porterhouse steak or a rack of BBQ ribs.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll stick to a nice thick porterhouse steak or a rack of BBQ ribs.

I LOVE Surf and Turf platters..Filet Mignon and Lobster Tail..Ummmm GOOD!! Gotta go...Later..

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Amen to that brother! ...

Yep..just...ewwwww.

Excellent!—all the more for me, Ceicei, Carol and Drac!

The only question I have at this point is, how long will it take for some entrepreneur to realize that a $40 all-you-can-eat lobster buffet would be a terrific business concept for central Ohio?