Uhh.. Lobster anyone? Maybe?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
. There is a reason the Native americans used them for fertilizer and not a food item.

Because they were so plentiful-they did use them for a food item....dueing colonial times, lobster was considered a poverty food, and some workers actually had a "lobster clause" (snicker!) put into their contract, stating that their employer/indenture holder couldn't serve them lobster more than 3 times a week...
...lobster...mmmmmmm!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because they were so plentiful-they did use them for a food item....dueing colonial times, lobster was considered a poverty food, and some workers actually had a "lobster clause" (snicker!) put into their contract, stating that their employer/indenture holder couldn't serve them lobster more than 3 times a week...
...lobster...mmmmmmm!

That's interesting... I didn't know that about lobsters. Tbe same thin is true about oysters in 18th c. England...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
...lobster...mmmmmmm!

Thanks for the update! All the Native Americans I have talked to up here always told me they just used them for fertilizer, being how we are quite a distance from the coast it would probably make a difference. Glad for the new information. :asian:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! All the Native Americans I have talked to up here always told me they just used them for fertilizer, being how we are quite a distance from the coast it would probably make a difference. Glad for the new information. :asian:

Well, yeah-by the time they got home with them, fertilizer is all they'd be good for, but you can be certain they ate some (and used some for bait) when they were on the coast. I'm brother to a Penobscot fellow, and his people are and have been quite fond of lobster....

Latest Discussions