UFC proves that MMA only works 27.4% of the time

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Using statistics we find here you can see that around 54.8% of fights are stopped for KO, TKO, or Submission. The remaining fights either go to decision, or they stop because of a DQ.

That means that in 45.2% of fights, both fighters failed to KO, TKO, or submit their opponent. MMA was not successful in these fights.

In the remaining 54.8% of fights, one person succeeded and one person failed. The person who got the KO, TKO, or submission won, but the person who was KO'd, TKO'd, or submitted lost. This means even in fights that were won by stoppage, MMA has a 50% success rate.

Take half of 54.8% and that leaves you with 27.4%. MMA is only successful 27.4% of the time. It fails 72.6% of the time. That's almost 3x the failure rate as the success rate.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm confused, isn't everyone in the UFC an MMA fighter?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Exactly. Which is how I know MMA fails 72.6% of the time.

Fails to do what? Defeat another MMA fighter of roughly equal weight and experience within a set amount of time? Well we already knew that it failed 50% of the time, since other than a tie, every match has a winner and a loser. So, other than making a joke, do you have a serious point?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fails to do what? Defeat another MMA fighter of roughly equal weight and experience within a set amount of time? Well we already knew that it failed 50% of the time, since other than a tie, every match has a winner and a loser. So, other than making a joke, do you have a serious point?

Not 50%. 72.6%. If it was 50%, there wouldn't be a need for points or judges.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A very informative site. But like others have said you are arguing apples vs. apples so I don't really see the relevance.
I think the root argument is sport (MMA) vs. all other arts (TMA). The irony is in the reality that All MMA originated from TMA or historical styles like wrestling or boxing.
Bear is never going to 'conform' to a different way of thinking, no matter what data is presented to him. Not necessarily a bad thing, just frustrating and illogical at times.
All forms of MA goes through cycles of popularity, some lasting longer that others.
I think the greatest and best argument is the ability for longevity of practice. MMA is temporal for most people. A young person's game. Yes there will always be outliers no matter what the venue. I assume Bear falls into this category. Another good thing.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the guys I trained with, had something pretty cool he used to tell people. (this was even an mma guy) He said, paraphrasing as best as I remember: "it does not matter what art you train in... the more you train martial arts, the less likely you are to need martial arts." He explained it as a statistics thing. To start off with, most people won't ever need it. No matter how scary the headlines make things seem, we live in a pretty civilized society. I have personally made it 46 years with out ever being accosted on the street by some thug. That said, it does happen. But those guys are looking for easy prey. The fact that you train regularly, whether it meets anyone else's definition of effective or not, makes you more confident and should make you a little more aware of your surroundings. This makes you less likely to be seen as easy prey. People who train a lot, are also less likely to goaded into some type of combat when there is an easy out. At the end of the day, even Bear talks about athletic prowess as being a big deal in a fight. Actively training in your art, makes your more athletic than you would be if you were not training. Yes, some types will get you in better shape or better shape faster.... but they all keep us in much better shape than sitting on the couch. Again, this helps with making you less of a target. At the end of the day, the most effective art for you, is the art you will train the most. While X might be the most effective, most proven, most deadly martial art... if you are not going to practice it regularly, it will not help you at all.(X will not make you more confident, more athletic or more aware.... if you are not practicing it.) If you are going into some field where you need to interact with violent people... they have training made for that specific function... and you get that training along with all the other training. Watch the video of the MMA fighters going to the Marine Corps Martial Arts center. While the MMA guys would easily win in an MMA match, they got trounced by the Marines... not even their goals were the same. If you are going to fight MMA, train MMA. If you are going to be a cop or Marine, take their hand to hand training. If you are a normal citizen, doing martial arts as a hobby... train whatever art will keep you on the training floor the most.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Huh? Take boxing for example, so you have a more limited skill set. How many boxing matches go to the judges? Does that mean that boxing wasn't effective x% of the time? No, it only means that in the same weight class and approximately the same skill level (professional) they couldn't disable their opponent in the time allotted under the current safety rules (standing 8 counts, going to a neutral corner during a knockdown, not punching a downed opponent, etc).

That is an improper inference of the data. What would the data be if you took a pro-level MMA fighter and put him against a pure striker or pure grappler that are also at a professional level. What is the rule set? As much as I dislike him, Connor McGregor would have mopped the floor with Mayweather in an MMA match.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Using statistics we find here you can see that around 54.8% of fights are stopped for KO, TKO, or Submission. The remaining fights either go to decision, or they stop because of a DQ.

That means that in 45.2% of fights, both fighters failed to KO, TKO, or submit their opponent. MMA was not successful in these fights.

In the remaining 54.8% of fights, one person succeeded and one person failed. The person who got the KO, TKO, or submission won, but the person who was KO'd, TKO'd, or submitted lost. This means even in fights that were won by stoppage, MMA has a 50% success rate.

Take half of 54.8% and that leaves you with 27.4%. MMA is only successful 27.4% of the time. It fails 72.6% of the time. That's almost 3x the failure rate as the success rate.
It all depends on what you define as "works." To say whether or not MMA "works" in the street, a street confrontation is going to be totally different than any kind of sport fighting. To say that MMA "works" in the ring, and by that you're talking about the fight ending in a KO, TKO, or Submission then according to the statistics you posted it "works" 54.8% of the time, a slight majority of the time.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It all depends on what you define as "works." To say whether or not MMA "works" in the street, a street confrontation is going to be totally different than any kind of sport fighting. To say that MMA "works" in the ring, and by that you're talking about the fight ending in a KO, TKO, or Submission then according to the statistics you posted it "works" 54.8% of the time, a slight majority of the time.

There are no statistics for the street. Therefore we have to use the statistics we have available.

Of those 54.8% of matches that ended in KO, TKO, or submission, half of the fighters failed because they were KO'd, TKO'd, or submitted. I wouldn't say that's a successful use of martial arts!

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Math was not your strongest class in school, am I right?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are no statistics for the street. Therefore we have to use the statistics we have available.

Of those 54.8% of matches that ended in KO, TKO, or submission, half of the fighters failed because they were KO'd, TKO'd, or submitted. I wouldn't say that's a successful use of martial arts!
Not successful for the fighters that were KO'ed TKO'ed or submitted but successful for the fighters that beat them.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not successful for the fighters that were KO'ed TKO'ed or submitted but successful for the fighters that beat them.

Right. Which means only half of those succeeded. In 5000 fights, there's 10000 fighters. In 5000 victories, there's 5000 defeats.

Math was not your strongest class in school, am I right?

My conclusions may be in jest, but the math is solid.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They get paid and as we say you win or you learn so yes it was successful win or lose.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think that if somebody is able beat highly trained martial artist who is in excellent shape and ready to fight 54,8% times that's really good result.
I think that if somebody is able to repel attacks of highly trained martial artist who is in excellent shape and ready to fight 45,2 % times that's really good result too.
54,8 % + 45,2% = 100 %.
MMA works 100% times.
Quod erat demonstrandum ;)