UFC 94 Machida vs Silva Video - Is this a good representation of karate?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info guys. One thing I'm particularly interested in is how they are using kata. How are they training basics? Is this more like karate based kickboxing or is there an actually connection between the kata and the basics?

Errant108

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info guys. One thing I'm particularly interested in is how they are using kata. How are they training basics? Is this more like karate based kickboxing or is there an actually connection between the kata and the basics?

If you're looking for bunkai based combat, I'd doubt it. Machida-do is a Shotokan offshoot, & Lyoto has competed in Ippon Kumite-style competitions. His grappling comes from Sumo & BJJ, not kata bunkai.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you're looking for bunkai based combat, I'd doubt it. Machida-do is a Shotokan offshoot, & Lyoto has competed in Ippon Kumite-style competitions. His grappling comes from Sumo & BJJ, not kata bunkai.

That's what I was wondering. I've met some of Oyata Sensei's (under Sensei Mike Cline) students in Minnesota who work on putting kata bunkai into the MMA arena and I wondered if Machida just took that to a higher level.

It looks like karate based kickboxing from the training video. Nothing wrong with that, but I was hoping for something different.

Latest Discussions