U.S. Flag Recalled After Causing 143 Million Deaths

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-flag-recalled-after-causing-143-million-deaths,17248/

WASHINGTON—Citing a series of fatal malfunctions dating back to 1777, flag manufacturer Annin & Company announced Monday that it would be recalling all makes and models of its popular American flag from both foreign and domestic markets.

Representatives from the nation's leading flag producer claimed that as many as 143 million deaths in the past two centuries can be attributed directly to the faulty U.S. models, which have been utilized extensively since the 18th century in sectors as diverse as government, the military, and public education.

"It has come to our attention that, due to the inherent risks and hazards it poses, the American flag is simply unfit for general use," said Annin & Company president Ronald Burman, who confirmed that the number of flag-related deaths had noticeably spiked since 2003. "I would like to strongly urge all U.S. citizens: If you have an American flag hanging in your home or place of business, please discontinue using it immediately."

Added Burman, "The last thing we would want is for more innocent men and women around the world to die because of our product."

Millions of U.S. flag–related injuries and fatalities have been reported over a 230-year period in locations as far flung as Europe, Cuba, Korea, Gettysburg, PA, the Philippines, and Iraq. In addition, the company found that U.S. flag exports to Vietnam during the late 1960s and early 1970s resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths, a clear sign that there was something seriously wrong with its product.

Here is a bit a satire that will have people howling for sure. It shaves a little too closely to the truth. Perhaps The Onion should watch out lest Holder dust off the Alien and Sedition Act.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
US-flag-recalled-timeline-R_jpg_600x1000_q85.jpg

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny that the people who enjoy the greatest standard of living the world has ever known, in a world made more free and less oppressive because of the presence of that flag in the world...lack the perspective to understand that and appreciate it...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A 2010 article?

Who's really trying to make their point here?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now I'm worried. I have several of them laying around. I tried calling the Bomb Disposal team....buy they laughed and threatened to blow me up if I bothered them again with this. Don't they realize how much danger I'm in? There's a Marine Corp flag right across the street from me...if it goes off I could lose my porch!!!!!

;)

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is a little perspective...on both the men and women who fight under that flag, and what they have meant to the world...watch the video and see why the onion is so wrong headed in their humour...

http://www.prageruniversity.com/Political-Science/Why-Americas-Military-Must-Be-Strong.html

If you yearn for world peace, then history and experience suggest that you should vigorously advocate for a strong American military. A weakened American military invites chaos. Renowned British historian, Andrew Roberts, explains.

On historian Andrew Roberts, author of the above video...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Roberts_(historian)

Last edited:
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A 2010 article?

Who's really trying to make their point here?

IMO, the point is that a lot of people have actually died under the flag. The Onion article suggests in a satirical way that this might not necessarily have been a good thing.

The point about patriotism and nationalism is worth pondering.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO, the point is that a lot of people have actually died under the flag. The Onion article suggests in a satirical way that this might not necessarily have been a good thing.

The point about patriotism and nationalism is worth pondering.

seems to me that not everyone is familiar with satire, nor The Onion...

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...you could ask the survivors of World War 2 in Europe, Asia, Africa, Russia, the former Satellite countries of the Soviet Union...and all the other people made safe when that flag is flying around the world...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
seems to me that not everyone is familiar with satire, nor The Onion...

True and sometimes satire brings up topics that can't be talked about in humorous ways.

At least we live in a country where the writers can't be locked up for their speech!

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At least we live in a country where the writers can't be locked up for their speech!

At least when the ideals symbolized by that flag, the U.S. Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and Bill of Rights, are respected by the President...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...you could ask the survivors of World War 2 in Europe, Asia, Africa, Russia, the former Satellite countries of the Soviet Union...and all the other people made safe when that flag is flying around the world...

World War II was caused by American intervention in WWI. How did the flag keep people safe again?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At least when the ideals symbolized by that flag, the U.S. Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and Bill of Rights, are respected by the President...

See, Bill, you do understand satire. Lol!

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
World War II was caused by American intervention in WWI.

How do you figure that??? We won WWI like we "won" WWII? The Nazi domination of Europe was something we shouldn't have intervened in??

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
where did you learn your history?

Ron Paul University I imagine. :)

Im not saying our nation is faultless..not by a LONG shot, but the idea that we are any different/worse in the scope of history when compared to any other nation is hogwash. We are fairly "clean" when compared to the historic record of most of the nations who like to criticize us.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you figure that??? We won WWI like we "won" WWII? The Nazi domination of Europe was something we shouldn't have intervened in??

American Intervention tipped the scales toward the British and allowed the Allies to impose the Treaty of Versailles on Germany, crushing their economy, and creating the conditions for dictatorship. Americans also financially supported Bolshevism as a counterbalance against the powers of central europe, unleashing that dog on the world.

Here is a great book on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilsons-War-Woodrow-Blunder-Hitler/dp/1400082366

President Woodrow Wilson famously rallied the United States to enter World War I by saying the nation had a duty to make “the world safe for democracy.” But as historian Jim Powell demonstrates in this shocking reappraisal, Wilson actually made a horrible blunder by committing the United States to fight. Far from making the world safe for democracy, America’s entry into the war opened the door to murderous tyrants and Communist rulers. No other president has had a hand—however unintentional—in so much destruction. That’s why, Powell declares, “Wilson surely ranks as the worst president in American history.”

Wilson’s War reveals the horrifying consequences of our twenty-eighth president’s fateful decision to enter the fray in Europe. It led to millions of additional casualties in a war that had ground to a stalemate. And even more disturbing were the long-term consequences—consequences that played out well after Wilson’s death. Powell convincingly demonstrates that America’s armed forces enabled the Allies to win a decisive victory they would not otherwise have won—thus enabling them to impose the draconian surrender terms on Germany that paved the way for Adolf Hitler’s rise to power.

Powell also shows how Wilson’s naiveté and poor strategy allowed the Bolsheviks to seize power in Russia. Given a boost by Woodrow Wilson, Lenin embarked on a reign of terror that continued under Joseph Stalin. The result of Wilson’s blunder was seventy years of Soviet Communism, during which time the Communist government murdered some sixty million people.

Just as Powell’s FDR’s Folly exploded the myths about Franklin Roosevelt and the New Deal, Wilson’s War destroys the conventional image of Woodrow Wilson as a great “progressive” who showed how the United States can do good by intervening in the affairs of other nations. Jim Powell delivers a stunning reminder that we should focus less on a president’s high-minded ideals and good intentions than on the consequences of his actions.

Where did you all learn your history? Government school?

At any rate, here's more satire that Bill might appreciate. World War Two is the Democrats fault!

Latest Discussions