Does step sparring really teach proper distancing?

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello folks, I was just musing over 2 and 3 step sparring today and was thinking of its purpose as a teaching aid. First off I must let it be known that I do actually like step sparring as a teaching aid. It enables safe practice against people of different shapes and sizes. I think that it improves solo pattern practice and that it is very good for practicing targeting. I am a fan of 1 step sparring in particular.

Anyway....

In my TKD handbook it basically says that the purpose of step sparring is to teach proper distance, correct facing, forearm conditioning, correct blocks, correct stance, counter attacks and timing. I don't have much problem with this explanation other than the term "proper distancing."

I am starting to think that it doesn't teach proper distancing as to perform it formally you have to finish at a range in which your counter strike stops/ends directly on to the target.

For example in the first of our three step sparring exercises the counter attack is a reverse punch to the solar plexus. When performing this counter attack we are taught to ensure that our strike stops fully extended at the point of impact. This looks tidy and gets you through the grading! However, we all know that in reality when striking a target we need to be punching through the target. We shouldn't be planning on our strike stopping fully extended at the solar plexus we should aiming for the strike to stop at the spine! When hitting focus pads we don't aim to stop at the pad we aim for our punch to go right through the pad and out the other side.

I understand that this concept would look messy for the purposes of training three step sparring as the student would still have to end at the point of contact for safety, resulting in a bent elbow. However, if we were perfoming the reverse punch at "proper distance" wouldn't we actually need to be finishing closer to our opponent? Too close to have the counter strike fully extended?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are correct and this is why we practice with our hogus on. We actually hit with pretty much real power. You cannot practice missing as you will get real good at missing. However we do have our young kids practice with the stop your punch short but at full extension. Adults and all Black Belts however will do one steps with the hogus on. Punching to the face though is still pulled.

We also tossed out the 2 and 3 steps as they are not practical at all. One attack and you better be countering this or you are done.

OP
myusername

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks ATC. It's good to know that I''m not the only one thinking this way. It is often difficult to bring this type of thing up with your fellow students for fear that they may think you are criticising the instruction! Which is not the case.

I like the idea of wearing hogu's but that will only work for mid section counter attacks as you say. However, the problem of ending neatly but at the wrong distance to high section targets still remain. One of the useful things of step sparring for me is the targeting aspect. Most counter strikes are to vulnerable areas such as the arc hand to the wind pipe or the kick to the testicles. To show a completed technique to these targets would mean being at the wrong distance.

The more I think about this the more I believe we should be ending at the correct distance but with a pronounced flex of the elbow (or I'm guessing knee depending on the counter strike). Therefore, the counter strike is never completely finished but it teaches the correct range and shows the student where they need to be to make the counter strike reach its potential. It would look a little untidier but would be more useful for distancing.

Next time I am doing step sparring I might do a few rounds of trying to finish that way and see how it feels and feedback.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If a tool is not working well, the fault may be with the system it;s used in, or how the system uses it, the user or how it's used. I submit that the parameters described are faulty, but it seems that you are using the Kukki system so you may need more input from those familiar with the system.

In the Chang Hun system parameters for 3 step stipulate it is for beginners and to learn proper BLOCKING distance. As such, the counter attack is of little importanceother than to finish the formal exercise.

After 3 step comes 2 step. The paramater is to defend against a combined hand / foot or foot / hand attack. For this exercise the defender can and should adjust distnace freely for the counter attack, so this is where the proper distancing for the counter is first done in this pre arranged sparringformal exercise.

Next is one step sparring, where the Defender can once again adjust distance freely. The purpose is to show the ultimate goal of TKD which is one technique for victory.

Other sparrings include, Model, Semi Free, Pre arranged free (An oxymoron) and Free.

All sparring should be viewed as part of a whole, each being used to build component parts as well as having esthetic qualities.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My only critisism about one step sparring is the choombi sogi stance, why I shold stay in choombi sogi when the atack is towards me? I wuld rather prefer to do one steps form the figthing ready stance for both practiciones, the atacker and the defendent.

It's a crazy thing to wait in chombi sogi while the atacker retreats do the low block and launches the atack, this is useless.

My way of thinking is both partners facing each other in fighting stance to do the one steps.

It's sad but we don't practice two and three steps sparring anymore.

Manny

OP
myusername

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If a tool is not working well, the fault may be with the system it;s used in, or how the system uses it, the user or how it's used. I submit that the parameters described are faulty, but it seems that you are using the Kukki system so you may need more input from those familiar with the system.

In the Chang Hun system parameters for 3 step stipulate it is for beginners and to learn proper BLOCKING distance. As such, the counter attack is of little importanceother than to finish the formal exercise.

After 3 step comes 2 step. The paramater is to defend against a combined hand / foot or foot / hand attack. For this exercise the defender can and should adjust distnace freely for the counter attack, so this is where the proper distancing for the counter is first done in this pre arranged sparringformal exercise.

Next is one step sparring, where the Defender can once again adjust distance freely. The purpose is to show the ultimate goal of TKD which is one technique for victory.

Other sparrings include, Model, Semi Free, Pre arranged free (An oxymoron) and Free.

All sparring should be viewed as part of a whole, each being used to build component parts as well as having esthetic qualities.

Thank you Mr Weiss and can I add that I enjoy reading your articles in Totally TKD!

It is actually the Chang hun tuls that I practice. Musing about this some more I think that the problem is more with counter strike hand techniques, front and side kicks. For turning kicks the distance would be the same. It would only be where we point the knee in our chamber that would dictate where the foot ends up.

I don't know if it just my organisation but even in 2 step and 1 step sparring our counters have to end fully completed on our target. However, if it is about proper distancing for a counter strike then surely the technique wouldn't finish where it does. It would end 3/4 finished. However, if I were to perform it like this in the grading then the grading examiner will conclude that I haven't given myself enough distance. Therefore to pass my grading I have to move a bit further out of range so my technique finishes directly at the target.

I do acknowledge that all step sparring teaches correct distancing for blocking techniques.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My only critisism about one step sparring is the choombi sogi stance, why I shold stay in choombi sogi when the atack is towards me? I wuld rather prefer to do one steps form the figthing ready stance for both practiciones, the atacker and the defendent.

It's a crazy thing to wait in chombi sogi while the atacker retreats do the low block and launches the atack, this is useless.

My way of thinking is both partners facing each other in fighting stance to do the one steps.

It's sad but we don't practice two and three steps sparring anymore.

Manny

I agree to an extent. I think there is a benefit though too of being able to react from a fairly neutral stance. In most confrontational situations, I don't want to take a full on fighting stance with my fist raised any earlier than I have to as that action will just escalate the situation. So if I find myself in a tense situation I will first just set my right foot back a little, bend my knees just a little and relax my shoulders. I'm pretty much ready to fight at this point, but I've made no moves that could be construed as aggressive. My hands will still be down at my waist so if the attacker then throws a punch all of a sudden I am basically responding from a modified Chombi stance.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello folks, I was just musing over 2 and 3 step sparring today and was thinking of its purpose as a teaching aid. First off I must let it be known that I do actually like step sparring as a teaching aid. It enables safe practice against people of different shapes and sizes. I think that it improves solo pattern practice and that it is very good for practicing targeting. I am a fan of 1 step sparring in particular.

I am starting to think that it doesn't teach proper distancing as to perform it formally you have to finish at a range in which your counter strike stops/ends directly on to the target.

I am a big fan of one step sparring, but in our dojang we encourage lots of modification as members progress. i.e advanced members are expected to execute the one step techniques with less formality, greater power and speed; from different stances, postures and angles as they move up in rank.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

Great post.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if it just my organisation but even in 2 step and 1 step sparring our counters have to end fully completed on our target. However, if it is about proper distancing for a counter strike then surely the technique wouldn't finish where it does. It would end 3/4 finished. However, if I were to perform it like this in the grading then the grading examiner will conclude that I haven't given myself enough distance. Therefore to pass my grading I have to move a bit further out of range so my technique finishes directly at the target.

I do acknowledge that all step sparring teaches correct distancing for blocking techniques.

1. Seems like it may be an organisational issue.
2. The organisation may have a reason such s by stipulating this they can tell if the student is executing as instructed as opposed to not really knowing what they intend ior if their actions match their intentions.
3. Most orgs. have some anomolous standards and methodologies.
4. Often we do not have to be slaves to anomolous org. standards and methodoligies. Example. We have very specific Step Sparring criteria as part of theorganizational curriculum. However, I do not want people locked into the mindsetso i sometimes do a "Street One Step " exercise. Classic technique is irrelevant. Students are critiqued on Practicality, Efficiencee, and effectiveness. (No acronym please:)

And thanks for the comment on the articles. Always wi=ondered how many people read 'em.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes.

Here is how I see it (based on how I was taught, of course, mixed with information from various coaching classes I took in college):

The idea is to stop the punch precisely where it touches your partner's uniform.

Doing this teaches precision striking.

Full extension means you train that punch (or kick) to ALWAYS fully extend.

The idea is to, through training, to circumvent your body's inhibitions.

Ever notice how hard you smack your foot if you *accidently* bump it against a piece of furniture? That's because your subconscious inhibitions never slow your foot down.

If you set out to kick that same table leg (without training, of course) you are very, very unlikely to ever kick it as hard as you would by accident: even though you may think you intend to kick it hard, and start out fast, as you approach impact you will subconsciously slow down your foot to reduce the pain and injury to your foot.

The idea is (and I have found this WORKS as intended, by the way) that through repetition, you train your body to ALWAYS send that punch out to its full extension.

Breaking boards or bricks, then, becomes easy. You position your body (hips and feet) so that when the punch is fully extended, it goes one inch behind the target.

Likewise, for hitting a human target, you simply decide to adjust the distance in the very same manner.

Moving to a position one inch closer, IMO, is MUCH easier than throwing a variety of punches: 100 percent extended; 80 percent extended; 82 percent extended (etc.)

For not only step sparring but also free sparring, with dedicated training you can eventually go full power, full speed and have light to medium contact.

Control, focused techniques enable you to strike not only with controlled contact, but also with incredibly hard techniques simply by making a distance decision (vs. a nebulous "power" decision).

It's worked out wonderfully as designed for me, but took many years of dedicated training, so I am a diehard believer in this line of thinking.

YMMV -- but I would suspect this is dependent on training.

Latest Discussions