Turning the tables on domestic homicide?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Certain high-risk domestic abusers are issued GPS trackers in Massachusetts.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...le_solution_to_prevent_domestic_homicide.html

Kelly Dunne started the Domestic Violence High Risk Team in 2005, and since then, not a single case she's taken on has ended in murder, and the men who have been sentenced to GPS tracking have not committed any future acts of violence. In addition, the team has done wonders to help victims return to normal life

The system works in no small part because it turns the logic of an abusive relationship on its head. The abuser works by making the victim feel like she will never be free of him, his violence, and his surveillance. If she tries to leave, he escalates. If she gets a new boyfriend, he escalates. The idea is to make her feel like her choices are to submit or to live in terror. The high-risk teams shift the burden of being surveilled from the victim to the abuser. Now, if he makes a threat, Massachusetts has the power to escalate.

Interesting philosophy.

Thoughts?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting.
it makes sense, since it is about power and control.

I just wonder: how do they administer the tracking devices so they can't be slipped off....Implants?

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a good idea and it is nice that technology has helped deal with this problem...after all, a restraining order is means nothing if the offender decides to ignore it...

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Absolutely. An ignored restraining order has the benefit of providing the PC needed for an arrest. They are issued many times when the parties involved, including LE, know full well that the protective order is going to set the offender off. Unfortunately that's cold comfort as it often means more hell for the targeted person as well.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know if the technology works like this or if it could be created, but they should develop a system where as the perp. is approaching the victim, the victim gets a warning ping on a device of some sort, allowing them to prepare, and or, call the police. An early warning system like that would be helpful.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only prob I see with this is giving the Victim a false feeling of safety. This GPS im sure isnt monitored 24/7. Its great for evidence after a crime to prove he was there but An ankle monitor isn't much better then a restraining order if the guy wants to do her harm its not going to stop him just makes it easier to convict him later. I remember last year a Juvenile was on an ankle monitor and house arrest and went out and killed someone. People were upset that he wasnt stopped but with 1000's of people on monitors and only a few people to monitor them people fall thru the cracks.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only prob I see with this is giving the Victim a false feeling of safety. This GPS im sure isnt monitored 24/7. Its great for evidence after a crime to prove he was there but An ankle monitor isn't much better then a restraining order if the guy wants to do her harm its not going to stop him just makes it easier to convict him later. I remember last year a Juvenile was on an ankle monitor and house arrest and went out and killed someone. People were upset that he wasnt stopped but with 1000's of people on monitors and only a few people to monitor them people fall thru the cracks.

I am sure they can make an app for this now....

Although it still does not prevent outsourcing....

Latest Discussions