Turkish ambassador calls for engaging Hamas

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Turkish ambassador calls for engaging Hamas
Posted By Josh Rogin Friday, June 4 The Cable/Foreign Policy
EXCERPT (LINK MINE):
As the crisis over a deadly Israeli commando raid on a vessel carrying Turkish activists continued to command the attention of top officials in Washington, Jerusalem, and Istanbul, Namik Tan, the Turkish ambassador to the United States, called Friday for engaging Hamas in resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
But in an unfortunate turn of phrase, Tan twice said Friday that the militant Palestinian group, which the United States and Europe have designated a terrorist organization, is a necessary and important part of the "final solution" to the conflict.
"For a final solution, you cannot ignore Hamas. That's what we are saying," said Ambassador Namik Tan. "This is not the first time that we are trying to bring this into the discussion. We have told this to the Israelis, to our American friends, to our international interlocutors, everyone. How could you imagine a final solution without Hamas?"
Tan's choice of words aside, he was calling for Hamas to be included in final-status negotiations -- a prospect many Israelis would find even more objectionable than his language. The U.S. position is that Hamas must recognize Israel's right to exist, respect international agreements, and reject violence before it can be considered a legitimate player.
The ambassador's comments highlighted the yawning gap between the positions of the Turkish government and that of the American and Israeli administrations, as tensions linger following this week's Gaza flotilla incident.
Only yesterday, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said, "I do not think that Hamas is a terrorist organization. I said the same thing to the United States. I am still of the same opinion. They are Palestinians in resistance, fighting for their own land."

End Excerpt
Die Endlösung

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would be happy to enguage Hamas. With 5.56, 7.62x51, 9x19, of bigger stuff.

You see, I'm all for enguaging Hamas.

Deaf

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Resistance? These guys lob mortars and fire rockets into Israel on a daily basis, Israel traces the origin, and fires back. How the Hell is Hamas resisting anything?

Give up violence as a way of getting what you want, and I’m sure Israel will talk.

Honestly, both sides need to stop the politics and the posturing and meet somewhere in the middle.

Latest Discussions