Medics training for Afghanistan

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While we did similar types of events when I was in the Army, never at that detail or for that long (one day here and there, and not in a facility that mimicked were we would be) it would have been great to participate in this level of training! I hope they keep it up, and I hope the US military brings such a thing home and starts doing it here as well!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definitely cool that it is actually a mock up of Bastien. We have a lot of trainings sort of like this where we attempt to recreate the pressures of overseas, but I've never seen one where the work environment is actually a model of what it is there. Very cool that the medics are doing this too. We have so many simulations for combat troops, but not that many for medics!

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The medics have really come into their own in Afghan showing amazing feats of bravery and dedication to their calling. The stories never fail to amaze and inspire. All the medics are amazing but the female medics out on the ground with the troops have proved their worth a hundred times and more. Female medics were always regarded here as being good for hospital work, first aid stations etc but the army were thought daft to put them into infantry units, they were thought not to be be able to carry enough equipment, wouldn't be able to keep up etc but they are doing more than that, they are saving lives, protecting the injuried (the female medics are particularly ferocious in protecting their injuried!) and thankfully being recognised as doing an brilliant job. The troops morale goes up when they know they have the best medics going, from those on the ground with them through the helicopter evac teams to the field hospital and then from there to the C130 RAF teams that take them home in a flying ICU to hospital here.
Some of the injuries are horrendous, one lad from where I'm based has had the entire bottom half of his body blown off, from his stomach, he's in a medically induced coma while they try to see if they can save him. Personally I would want to be left to die, perhaps his family will also make that decision but in the meantime the medics battle on to save everyone they can.

The Rifles, made up of three battalions, has an entire company's worth of amputees.

Latest Discussions