Trying to find new school is frustrating

OP
Tarot

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks tkdgirl! :) This is why I'm getting discouraged because I've been searching my area for a school since last Nov. and I'm not coming up with anything that seems to fit all my needs/wants. I don't want to settle but it seems so far that this might be what I have to do. :( *sigh*

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are there other schools a little further out that you would be willing to go to? How far are you willing/ able to travel? I'm not a big fan on settling, myself.

OP
Tarot

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think I am going to have to try and find a school a little further out. I took a class tonight at the school where I'm in the trial program and I don't think I'll be going back. I'm so bummed and frustrated.

For example, tonight the class was 1.5 hours long. Supposed to be 1 hour of TKD and .5 hour of HKD. For the first .5 of class we did warm up stretches and forms. Then for the remaining time (which was an hour) we did one steps. I only knew 3 and had to ask to learn the remaining two. One steps (the one step self-defense moves) for an hour seems like busy work, IMO. We did no kicking. None, not even air kicks tonight. I didn't even break a sweat. During this time the Master just walked around and chit chatted with people. Then for about the last 15 minutes of class he got out some flashy weapon and started twirling it around. My partner was so enthralled with this that he stopped working on the one steps with me. I left class feeling annoyed and cheated.

Also, when I was first speaking the to Master about his school, he told me that he teaches all the classes. I have shown up for a scheduled class twice and he wasn't there, a BB taught me. And I was the only person in class. He wasn't there for the previous class either, it was a BB teaching. So how can he tell me he teaches every class when I have seen that he doesn't? I also over heard him speaking with someone about classes today and he said it takes about 2 years to reach BB. That seemed short to me.

I want a school that is going to kick my ***. I want to break a sweat when I take class. I want to learn and do constructive workouts every class. I'm very serious about getting into training and yet I can't seem to find anything to fit my needs.

arnisador, thanks for the link! Sadly, that school is a little over half an hour away from me, which is a bit too far to travel.

I guess it's back to the drawing board, and keep searching!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tarot said:
I think I am going to have to try and find a school a little further out. I took a class tonight at the school where I'm in the trial program and I don't think I'll be going back. I'm so bummed and frustrated.

For example, tonight the class was 1.5 hours long. Supposed to be 1 hour of TKD and .5 hour of HKD. For the first .5 of class we did warm up stretches and forms. Then for the remaining time (which was an hour) we did one steps. I only knew 3 and had to ask to learn the remaining two. One steps (the one step self-defense moves) for an hour seems like busy work, IMO. We did no kicking. None, not even air kicks tonight. I didn't even break a sweat. During this time the Master just walked around and chit chatted with people. Then for about the last 15 minutes of class he got out some flashy weapon and started twirling it around. My partner was so enthralled with this that he stopped working on the one steps with me. I left class feeling annoyed and cheated.

Also, when I was first speaking the to Master about his school, he told me that he teaches all the classes. I have shown up for a scheduled class twice and he wasn't there, a BB taught me. And I was the only person in class. He wasn't there for the previous class either, it was a BB teaching. So how can he tell me he teaches every class when I have seen that he doesn't? I also over heard him speaking with someone about classes today and he said it takes about 2 years to reach BB. That seemed short to me.

I want a school that is going to kick my ***. I want to break a sweat when I take class. I want to learn and do constructive workouts every class. I'm very serious about getting into training and yet I can't seem to find anything to fit my needs.

arnisador, thanks for the link! Sadly, that school is a little over half an hour away from me, which is a bit too far to travel.

I guess it's back to the drawing board, and keep searching!

Sounds like this is not the school for you. Keep looking.

As far as a 30 minute drive to get to a school, for about a half a year I travelled 90 miles each way to train where I wanted to train, twice a week. If you want it bad enough, you will find a way to be there. You need to decide how badly you want it.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
On average, I travel anwhere from 20 to 40 minutes (depending on where I sart out from- sometimes less). It helps too if you can find someone to carpool with (like a friend nearby).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes I type some ideas down and I realize that I just cannot be brief at all.

Tarot, when I chose a school, I made a decision based on factors that I never even though of, until I tried to do a school search. My team was given orders to take a mandatory 1 hour lunch break every day, and an hour with nothing to do at that place was torturous. So, I decided to train instead.

The most important thing to me at the time was distance from my job (I had to make it there and back within 1 hour) and lunchtime classes. I did some googling and found four schools within a suitable distance. I called them up in order of proximity.

The first school was different, it seemed to be a sort of MMA facility, according to it's web site. I visited it in the afternoon...it was basically a modern boxing gym. If I were up for a killer workout...I actually would have been tempted to join, but I was really looking for something more with more Asian influences. I scratched them off my list.

The second school had gone out of business. I scratched them off my list.

The third school was a Kenpo school. They had a huge website with lots of information about the school and the art. The school didn't seem overly commercialized, and there was a very family-oriented feel to the information. I had read a little bit about Kenpo, and it sounded very intriguing to me.

The fourth school was also a Kenpo school. Their website was less detailed, and their location was the furthest away from me, so I put them on the back burner.

I tried several times to call the third school. I always got an answering machine. I started picking through more of their website and found a page where they posted the school's rules. At that point, I almost shelved the idea of training.

There were rules about sparring, contact, weapons and a notable ban on horseplay. That started getting me a little worried. I was not in very good shape, and athletics has always been an area where I have performed poorly.

I was also surprised that I had to wrestle my training against the beliefs of my faith. This is something highly personal to me. I also thing other people's beliefs are also personal and deserving of respect. For that reason, I do not wish to discuss my faith or what I believe in or why I believe it. I'll just say...there were two rules at the dojo that were not unreasonable rules. One was a prohibition of all types of jewelry, the other was the mandate of an extremely specific type of bowing.

Another person of my faith suggested that I talk to the sensei about my faith. I was very reluctant to, because I did not want to seem disrespectful to my classmates. Nor did I want my personal beliefs exposed in such a fashion. He kept urging me to call, so I did, two more times. Answering machine, answering machine. I scratched the school of my list.

By the time I called the forth school, I felt like I didn't want to train at all. I didn't want to feel seperated from my faith. I didn't want to get hurt and banged up. I kept having these flashbacks of times I was in any kind of athletic class...the perpetually picked-last-in-gym class kid became the woman that simply could not follow or keep up with a group fitness class. It's not that I'm a stupid person...engineers typically aren't...but I just really have a tough time with athletics.

I called the forth school up, a woman answered the phone. I mentioned I was interested in studying martial arts, and we started talking. And...she listened. A lot. She listened to my concerns about being out of shape. About not having any innate abilities. About my fear of getting hurt. She talked about other people in the class that have started with very diverse levels, and yet they have succeeded.

I realized when talking to her that she had this incredibly gentle, warm, supportive aura about her that I have seen in other accomplished martial artists. She had such good energy, and something about her was making me believe that she was a very trustworthy person.

Then I realized, she never talked about herself. She never talked about what the instructors did, or how great they were. She only mentioned what the students accomplished. How the students did.

I felt very comfortable with her. She never said anything that felt like a sales pitch. She didn't ask anything of me. She didn't talk about money. We continued our conversation, and it actually made me very emotional. I just couldn't seem to keep up with group classes, even though I tried. She said in a very honest tone that being a white belt was difficult, that it may be the hardest belt of all because everything is new. She gave me new examples of students that had succeeded. She said that the most important thing was to be in class. It was then that I realized that...instead of telling me that the instructors were experienced and patient...she was showing me how their experience and patience resulted in successful students.

We were on the phone for almost an hour.

I joined for a summer program, and really liked it. It worked well with my work schedule. By the time the summer was over, I loved the school so much that I signed a two year contract.

And then, things at work got worse, and I got laid off.

There was a legal (and ethical) way that I could have broken my contract under the circumstances. I didn't wnt to break it. And when the folks at my school immediately offered support upon hearing the news, I realize that I just couldn't leave. It was too much a part of me.

So now....I drive 45 minutes to work. At the end of the day, I drive 60 minutes to my dojo. After class, I drive 40 minutes to get home. And sometimes go on Saturday. Several people ask me why the heck don't I just study Karate right here in Salem...but I would be absolutely heartbroken if I had to leave my school behind to train someplace else.

I hope you find a school that you like very soon!

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just walked in, spoke with several instructors, or well back then my dad did (I was 11), and eventually found a school where I had to look no further and stuck with it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is there a local martial arts supply store, or a free weekly newspaper? Often they have flyers/ads for schools that don't advertise in the Yellow Pages. Stop in at a martial arts supply store and ask the owner about nearby schools.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I think I got pretty lucky with the Aikido class that's about a block down from my house. The mat fees are $30 for 3 months and the instructor seems to love what he does.

I just happened to hear about the class from a friend and showed up at the gym where they meet. There's no advertising, and the class is small but everybody seems genuinely interested. I had a lot of fun with them last night, and I'll be back.

Good luck with your search. You'll be surprised what you find if you turn over the right rock.

OP
Tarot

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a brand new list of MA schools to check out in my area. I have been researching and searching for a while and have complied a list that's 5 pages long. If I don't find a school with that something's wrong. :p

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stephen I own and operate my school we are one of the best TKD schools in the State of Texas, I run a business and as I stated earlier the person coming into my school is the customer as so we are here to accomadate them to what they are looking for. We have sweveral different levels for all types of people some want tournaments others SD and others just a good hard workout. If you believe people today are in the Arts to go broke then you my friend need to be examine by a DR.. We have choosen to open our doors and try to teach what we where tought, but if we make no money than the doors will close for everybody. Society dictates the average cost of a product and my school charges way below the natioal average we sponsor about 25 family who cannot afford training and believe me if the Local business owners where not behind me we could not even do this for them, it cast to run a school, Lease, Electric, gas, phone, insurance, do you think we as MA'es do not have to pay to keep the doors open.

Every single person needs to find the right school for them and as you walk throught those doors when the head instructor tells you it free walk away, nothing is free in this world.

Terry

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad you got a list together- hopefully (it should) help you by making it easier. When I started, I wrote my likes and dislikes for an art/ school.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Every single person needs to find the right school for them and as you walk throught those doors when the head instructor tells you it free walk away, nothing is free in this world.

Sorry. I have to take exception to this statement. Many of the best instructors in my art are indeed free.

Ed Martin is one of the best in the country and most widely known and well-liked, and has always offered training for free at his school.

The head of the Bujinkan Dojo has always recommended that instructors have a life and work outside of training because of the importance of balance in one's life.

My training group leader in the Bujinkan charges only enough to pay for his training space. My Aikido instructor does the same. Neither make any money off of training.
jdinca said:
Different strokes for different folks. There is no one method to provide instruction. What should matter is the quality of that instruction, not whether the school is also a successful money making business.

We have wandered far off topic. Anybody else feel this should be split into a new thread?

OP
Tarot

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We have wandered far off topic. Anybody else feel this should be split into a new thread?

Me
:eek:

I didn't mean for the thread to take the turn it did. I just wanted to vent a bit at trying to find a school.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
stephen said:
You said it, not me....

I agree totally, and I stand behind my last comments. Draw whatever conclusions you may.

not here to pick a fight, but i run a full-time dojo. i undertand your concerns, stephen, and i'll be the first to admit that there are a lot of idjits out there running schools who are afraid to make the right decision because it might mean they lose a couple hundred dollars a month.

well, i'm not really the first to admit that, but i'll do it quickly if asked.

but there are many full-time dojos that provide excellent instruction and are run by people of great integrity. the dojo i came up in was one. i hope that mine is another.

the trick is to make sure that all your decisions are made for the right reasons. it isn't as though the burgers at your local pub are bad because the owner wants to make money. on the other hand, the burgers at mcdonald's are bad because the owner cares more about money than quality.

employee training at my school starts with our mission statement. "we do not run this school to make money. we make money so we can keep running this karate school."

it's a balancing act, to be sure. but i haven't lost yet making a decision with my integrity and art first and business concerns second. it makes the school a better place and if i lose one student because of it, i'll gain three from referrals because my students know they're getting value.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
employee training at my school starts with our mission statement. "we do not run this school to make money. we make money so we can keep running this karate school."

I like that! i guess maybe it is hard from a student standpoint to understand all that goes into the business. We just know that we pay $xx per month, some of us think it all goes directly to our instructors pockets when this is obviously not the case.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tarot,

How has the search gone? I have been dodging the issue of relocating to another city with my husband for the simple fact I would miss my TKD school SOOOO much!!! While I don't envy your predicament, I wish you the best in your search.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
keep patiently checking out schools. While location, cost etc.. are factors, you will get the right "feel" for the school when you find the right one for you.
You should have an option to try it for an introductory period before making a long term committment. avoid a school that tries to force you into a long term committment without trying it first.
I own a school and can understand both sides!
In some cases we have to be firm but in most cases we try and be flexible to make training as beneficial as possible for the student.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
stickarts said:
You should have an option to try it for an introductory period before making a long term committment. avoid a school that tries to force you into a long term committment without trying it first.

Excellent point!!!!

OP
Tarot

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Stickarts, I definitly looked for schools that had a trial period. And I was looking for something longer than one class, because IMO I do not think one can get an accurate feel for a school after only one class.

TKD_Jen thank you so much for asking about me! :D I am pleased to say that I have found a school. :partyon: I am now trying my hand at Arnis. :duel: My first class was excellent! I learned lots of moves and even got to do some knife work. It was so fun and all the people are wonderfully nice. The school is small so I definitly feel like I am getting great instruction and individual attention. YaY! It was such a long search that I'm so glad to have found a home. Maybe I should post about my experience of searching for a school and the people I came in contact with, I wonder if that will be helpful to others? :idea:

Latest Discussions