Travelling Kicks

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Surely TKD has those... I just don't know the equivalent term. Can someone help me out?

It's basically a means of adding a couple of feet in range to a back leg RH or sidekick by opening up one's hips and popping into the kick while the supporting leg slides forward. The application in sport competition is obvious, but I thought it was a useful exercise if only to help teach stiff students how to be more limber in the waist and hips.

Is there a Korean word for this kick?

FWIW we use these terms(all for lead leg kicks.)

Hopping ---where the rear foot actualy loses contact with the ground and is done simaltaneously with extension of the kicking leg. This would be what you demo as a sliding kick Just in our parlance a slide does not lose contact with the ground. Conceptualy think as though there is a rope attached to your kicking foot and the rope passes thru the target. Someone yanks on the rope and the first thing to move is the kicking foot. As it extends the support foot hops toward the opponent. The hop does not occur before the kick so there is no "telegraph" of the technique.

Skipping. --- Rear foot skips forward and basicaly ends up where the support foot was or even slightly past it, closer to the target. Skipping foot remains in contact with the floor (more or less). It moves slightly before the kicking foot. It will provide longer range than the hop.

Step behind or in front. This is simialr to what you call "traveling Kick" Can provide even greater range than the Skip but is slower.

Jumping lead leg kick. Rear leg comes up in the air and lead leg kick is fully extended (hopefuly before rear leg touches down.) Range depends on athleticsim.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
The traveling kick in my lexicon is executed with the rear leg. Just picture a rear leg kick but your supporting leg (which is the initial front leg) is the one that slides.

So what are the key points to note when executing this technique? and during which point of the kick does the supporting leg actually slide? and do you actually push your supporting leg to slide, or do u use the force of throwing ur kicking knee up to sort of "pull" your supporting leg to slide? I've been trying to get this down but can't seem to do this smoothly, or successfully most of the time. would be great if i could get some pointers.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
So what are the key points to note when executing this technique? and during which point of the kick does the supporting leg actually slide? and do you actually push your supporting leg to slide, or do u use the force of throwing ur kicking knee up to sort of "pull" your supporting leg to slide? I've been trying to get this down but can't seem to do this smoothly, or successfully most of the time. would be great if i could get some pointers.

Read the article I gave the link for. The answer to your question is "both" you push off the support leg but not until after the kicking foot has startes the motion and the momentum of the extension assists with the hop or slide. Do multiple kick/slide rechamber - Kick Slide rechamber without putting the kicking foot down.
Practice by standing on one leg with the other chambered and hop with the extension. Then, do the same, but start with your fighting stance.

Latest Discussions