Not fighting outside the dojo

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Now I've got a friend who used to do karate and when he knew I did karate he said oh well you're not allowed to use it. I asked him what he meant and he said his instructor said that you're not allowed to use what you learn outside the club even if it's for self defence. Now If that's true then that instructor should be ashamed of themselves telling students they're not allowed to defend themselves if they're attacked. I understand telling them not to start fights but to not fight back if attacked is stupid.

Has anyone else heard of schools that do thus and has trained in one like that?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Either he's misremembering, or his instructor was a buffoon.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yea I totally understand that.. like take me as example: my MA is sooooo fully secret I cannot ever use it out side else the whole entire world will know.. I prefer to be like.. you know.. Selina Kyle.. ssshhhh

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The only reason I can imagine the instruction telling him that (if that is what he said) is that he knows he is teaching crap that won''t work.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds like a simple misunderstanding to me. For example, telling students not to take their knowledge and use it on people (outside of self-defense) while not specifying that self-defense is obviously a different matter.

I cannot imagine a person who was well-trained in any form of martial arts refusing to use it to defend themselves. That simply does not make sense.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I've heard of this, though it is rare. In the cases I know of, the instructor is a Pacifist and often fancies himself within the Zen Buddhist pacifistic path. Not being either a zennie or a buddhist myself, I can't speak to deep understandings of how pacifism fits and what, if any, violence may be allowed, but in the case of the Martial Artists I know who claim to hold such beliefs, they see no inherent contradiction between pacifism and practicing martial arts.

My personal religious and moral code do not include mandatory pacifism.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Bill that this was probably a misunderstanding.

I have seen it several times as part of the plot in martial arts movies. Our hero is a master of martial arts but ignores challenges, insults, and even direct assaults on his person. Only when the bad guys kill his master or kidnap his girlfriend or some such does he break his vow of pacifism and unleash whoop-*** upon the villains.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like a simple misunderstanding to me. For example, telling students not to take their knowledge and use it on people (outside of self-defense) while not specifying that self-defense is obviously a different matter.

I cannot imagine a person who was well-trained in any form of martial arts refusing to use it to defend themselves. That simply does not make sense.
It's not a misunderstanding I know a few people who've trained there and they say the same thing and even my instructors are aware of him doing that

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have seen it several times as part of the plot in martial arts movies. Our hero is a master of martial arts but ignores challenges, insults, and even direct assaults on his person. Only when the bad guys kill his master or kidnap his girlfriend or some such does he break his vow of pacifism and unleash whoop-*** upon the villains.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now I've got a friend who used to do karate and when he knew I did karate he said oh well you're not allowed to use it. I asked him what he meant and he said his instructor said that you're not allowed to use what you learn outside the club even if it's for self defence. Now If that's true then that instructor should be ashamed of themselves telling students they're not allowed to defend themselves if they're attacked. I understand telling them not to start fights but to not fight back if attacked is stupid.

Wow that advice is still around. I have heard this before more than 30 years ago but not by someone who I've trained under. This is a romanticized idea about martial arts that was popular back then. The concept is that the more dangerous and art is the less you'll be able to use it. People used this statement to hype up their martial arts as being unbelievable deadly.

If you have an instructor that is like this then find somewhere else to train.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have heard teacher told their students the following:

"If you

- don't have a good reason to fight but you fight, or
- have a good reason to fight but you don't fight,

I'll beat you up when I have found out."

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not a misunderstanding I know a few people who've trained there and they say the same thing and even my instructors are aware of him doing that

Well, that seems very odd to me. Why would anyone learn a skill that they could never use?

MartialMasters

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Way back (last millenia, in the nineties!) when I took Tae Kwon Do, the head instructor had fairly rough English. That certainly helped contribute to the occasional miscommunication or misunderstanding. Still, to that point specifically...I remember getting "the talk" about not using what you learn outside (which for most kids was about as awkward as getting "the talk" from their parents about...well, other things!), but I do remember mostly parsing that we were told not to go out and pick fights.

Beyond that, I know some instructors may likely be a bit too afraid of getting in trouble ("What if my school gets accused of being a place to teach goons how to beat people up?").

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I know a lot of stuff, I hope to never use, and I'll bet the instructor meant "stupid ego" fights.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

start around 30 min It talks about the founder of Shorin Ryu saying you should never fight back unless your almost dead. If your not almost dead just keep letting the attacker beat you until they stop

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow that advice is still around. I have heard this before more than 30 years ago but not by someone who I've trained under. This is a romanticized idea about martial arts that was popular back then. The concept is that the more dangerous and art is the less you'll be able to use it. People used this statement to hype up their martial arts as being unbelievable deadly.

If you have an instructor that is like this then find somewhere else to train.
I don't train there some people I know do. If anyone said that to me I'd be out the door by the time the lessons over

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Never heard of such a thing.

The closest we come is telling the students in the kids class never to initiate a fight. We talk with them about how to try avoiding the fight, and only if that fails, do they do what is necessary.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
People say a lot of things. Another variation that I have heard is that you must give three warning before you use martial arts to defend yourself.

Latest Discussions