Training

You don't need some late night infomercial exercise gimmic , just do your push ups like a Spartan Warrior would .

Knuckle push ups on broken glass with a fat guy sitting on your back . lol

Well Why not do push ups like the praying mantis fighter. On your fingers on top of rock bed with a boulder on your back for extra weight!

You don't need some late night infomercial exercise gimmic , just do your push ups like a Spartan Warrior would .

Knuckle push ups on broken glass with a fat guy sitting on your back . lol

What is the most basic and affective way to utilize wing tzun with huge boxing gloves on if any? :p
I'll have the chance to spar a bit.. and want to make the best out of it.. any suggestions as to strategy.. or anything.. any insight at all!
thanks much and sorry for my lack of participation here! life has been hectic.

I find that its pretty hard to do because you can't use your hands and your arms to sense anything because they are covered by padding . Its also very hard to do fast and efficient centerline punches because the gloves get in the way .

Against any straight punches I wouldn't bother trying to deflect with Tan Sau , it won't work too well with gloves on , I think I just used to slap them out of the way with a Pak Sau and punch. Is it Wing Chun versus Wing Chun , or Wing Chun versus anything .

If its WC versus WC then it is going to be quite messy with 4 sets of fat gloves fighting for the centerline . If its other stuff then it might be easier because the centerline will be open , just don't expect to pull off any flashy techniques because 1. You have lost quite a bit of feeling in your arms because of the padding , remember out of contact we use the eyes , in contact we recieve information through our arms.

2. The size of the gloves make it awkward to do any of the sophisticated deflections . Try to punch on the centerline as best you can with the gloves on , be very aggressive and keep attacking his guard with Pak Sau and punch . Do not do a single punch , answer every move of his with a volley of about five punches , go through him like a laser beam. Don't look at his eyes look at the chest area on a line going from shoulder to shoulder but still be able to take in his whole body you will pick up movement a lot faster .

Keep the pressure on him with your chain punches and keep stepping into him , also watch out for any hooks to your head , but if you are aggressive with your centerline punching you will nullify any hooks , if one does manage to come around raise your arm with fingertips on the centerline with your elbow out , its called a Dai Sau its half way between a Tan Sau and a Bong Sau .

Make sure you reflect the position of his elbow , if his elbow is out in a very circular punch then your elbow must be out as well to be able to deflect it , if it less circular then you have your elbow in to match his elbow as you drive your Dai Sau up .

If he tries to punch you in the gut then just cut down on his arm with your same side arm. If he trys a spinning backfist move in with a Tan Sau to his striking arm and punch him in the side of the ribcage.

What ever you do be very aggressive and move in , everytime he punches you counter it with your own punch, even if he just flinches or tries to feint you treat it as a real strike and react with your own punch .
Oh and make sure you keep your guard up in front of your face , but you already knew that didn't you .

Last edited:
HE is using traditional boxing/kick boxing (without the kicks) but for the moment his hand is injured, so we can only fight with 1 hand a piece.. the huge gloves definitely make things difficult.. I appreciate all of your insightful advice, it definitely has given me ideas to play around with in my head, he is fairly shorter than me, by about 3-4 inches, so that kind of makes things even more difficult, he can uppercut my stomach with ease if I don't keep a low guard, I suppose i'd rather get hit in the stomach than the face tho ;)
once again, thanks much!

I would suggest using MMA gloves or Kenpo gloves...Walmart might sell MMA gloves in the sporting goods. But as for boxing gloves. I would suggest if you already have some get a WC or boxing friend to practice with you?

Practice the Drills with him. Get use to doing various free hand drills. Like
Tan Da
Pak Da
Jum Da
Huen Sau Drills
Lop Sau
Kwun Sau
Gan Sau

Practice blocking and deflecting.

One thing I think may help is doing your forms with the gloves on. free style Chi Sau may be very hard to do with gloves...I havent figure Chi Sau out yet. But I do have some ideas with out the gloves that may work.

Also invest in some Boading balls!

Practice Sil Lim Tau with these balls in each hand. So one ball per hand. You will have to modify your hand techniques. In other words you using a different part of your fist to deflect. An in some cases you you use the forearms. Some moves with open hand techniques will have to be changed to fist techniques etc...practice SLT ten times a day with balls. This will get you use to not having your hands free. Its actually easier to do chi sau with these balls in your hands instead of boxing gloves. But the principal is the same...I hope it helps...Also practice various drills?

116184051_a3a2921e1e.jpg

What is the most basic and affective way to utilize wing tzun with huge boxing gloves on if any? :p
I'll have the chance to spar a bit.. and want to make the best out of it.. any suggestions as to strategy.. or anything.. any insight at all!
thanks much and sorry for my lack of participation here! life has been hectic.

So! tonight during class I figured out that my abduction needs to be done with the thighs and not the knees, I was originally holding an apple between my knees to try and strengthen my stance.. now I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about all of that.. so yeah.. does anyone have any suggestions about possible ways in which to strengthen my stance? I now have a membership to a fitness club.. so I could use some kind of equipment if necessary, I was thinking of trying to hold like a 90 page notebook in between my thighs maybe.. I'm not to sure.. any suggestions at all for a low level WT student to be doing.. I want to work hard.. I know there have already been some great suggestions, and I fully intend on re-reading this and my previous thread, and making a Wing Tzun To do list, so to speak :D

Try holding an egg in between your knees. If you breat the whole dozen after while you will get tired of wasting money an will have the right pressure for holding your stance...

You might develop some new unheard of chi...

Let me know when electricity can shoot out your fingers?

So! tonight during class I figured out that my abduction needs to be done with the thighs and not the knees, I was originally holding an apple between my knees to try and strengthen my stance.. now I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about all of that.. so yeah.. does anyone have any suggestions about possible ways in which to strengthen my stance? I now have a membership to a fitness club.. so I could use some kind of equipment if necessary, I was thinking of trying to hold like a 90 page notebook in between my thighs maybe.. I'm not to sure.. any suggestions at all for a low level WT student to be doing.. I want to work hard.. I know there have already been some great suggestions, and I fully intend on re-reading this and my previous thread, and making a Wing Tzun To do list, so to speak :D

does anyone have any suggestions about possible ways in which to strengthen my stance?
Stand in it for longer. Do siu lim tau for longer periods. Also stand on one leg until it hurts then swap to the other leg. Keep swapping legs.

No, I don't think you'll be needing any fitness equipment for that :) I would agree with Paulus and say that one of the main reasons of SLT is to train what you ask. One of the reasons for doing it realy slow with good structure and adduction is to strengthen your stance. The forms when show crrectly, I feel, are a very valuable and dynamic training method for a WChunner. Sure they are not everything you need for your martial training but you probably get the point. So I would say that doing the form is the only thing you need to strengthen your stance and probably the best way to do it.

One thing I remembered from my EBMAS straining tho is that we used to do YGKYM and arrow stepping stance/advance stance/whatever stance with two guys who are pulling your legs(one guy your right leg to the right and the other your left leg to...). Try it out.

just some basic stuff, Try;
1)Huen Bo - circling step (a good 20-30 minutes burns)
2)have your partner drag you forward by one leg while your hands are chambered,dragging the rear leg as in the advancing step
3)when kicking jack the knee up,thrust forward with the heel straight out
4)advancing step,return to orig.position
5)cross step 6)zig zag 7)diagonal step 8)diagonal kick
9)single leg stance while performing Siu Nim Tau (difficult at first,easy with time)
anything else? add to?

Latest Discussions

Back