Training question...

Bigmikey

White Belt
Reaction score
If this is in the wrong place I apologize.

I've recently gotten back into the martial arts (TKD and Hapkido) after a 20+ year departure. During that time I became an avid bodybuilder. Now that I'm back into the martial arts I'm finding it difficult to find a balance between my martial arts training and weight training. I cant seem to NOT train like a bodybuilder, lol, and thats taking away from my performance in class.

I'm open to any advice or input as to effective approaches to weight training for M.A. I dont want to NOT lift, and I know there has to be some way I can incorporate an effective lifting split into my current martial arts schedule.. I just cant seem to see it right now.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If this is in the wrong place I apologize.

I've recently gotten back into the martial arts (TKD and Hapkido) after a 20+ year departure. During that time I became an avid bodybuilder. Now that I'm back into the martial arts I'm finding it difficult to find a balance between my martial arts training and weight training. I cant seem to NOT train like a bodybuilder, lol, and thats taking away from my performance in class.

I'm open to any advice or input as to effective approaches to weight training for M.A. I dont want to NOT lift, and I know there has to be some way I can incorporate an effective lifting split into my current martial arts schedule.. I just cant seem to see it right now.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?
Just my 2 cents worth. Bodybuilding is 'artificial'. By that I mean you are building muscle you don't use in day to day activities and training. This is just extra weight you carry around. As a gymnast many years ago, we were not allowed near weights for that reason. Every ounce of muscle had to be useful.
If you want to continue with the weights, fine. But get a qualified trainer to work out a schedule suited to you new MA activities. :asian:

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the thing is find a balance that keeps you happy...Not what you wanted to hear... I schedule my training as follows: weight training M/W/F & my MA on alternate days....Though on wed I do both.. due to a scheduling conflict with the guys that work out with me....
Good luck!
j,

OP
B

Bigmikey

White Belt
Reaction score
I think the thing is find a balance that keeps you happy...Not what you wanted to hear... I schedule my training as follows: weight training M/W/F & my MA on alternate days....Though on wed I do both.. due to a scheduling conflict with the guys that work out with me....
Good luck!
j,

Actually I agree completely. Balance is what I'm after the snag is that I keep falling back into the lifting habits that have become so engrained over time. I think what I need to see is how others use weights to further their martial arts efforts.

I'm not trying to be a bodybuilder any longer, its not my focus, I just dont know how to train for my new goals. Can you show me an example of what your lifting sessions are like? Seeing what you do might spark a thought process that enables me to get to where I need to be....

Thanks in advance!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might check out The New Rules of Lifting for Men. The workouts there will let you maintain your weight training, maybe shifting the emphasis a bit -- and probably save you time in the gym, too. If you're training like a competitive bodybuilder, you're probably spending lots of time moving iron around... and a lot of that time is on muscles being used in ways that just don't do much good for you in real life activity.

OP
B

Bigmikey

White Belt
Reaction score
Here is what I think might try. It hits all my muscle groups so that I can at least maintain some version of my physique.

TUESDAYS:
Heavy Bag work - 10 minutes
Pull ups: 3 sets to failure

Bench press: 6 sets (training for reps now vs weight.)
~OR~
Incline db + cables: 4 sets each
Dips OR narrow grip: 4 sets to failure
Pushdowns: 4 sets
Seated Lateral raises: 5 sets
Seated db shrugs: 4 sets

FRIDAYS:
Heavy Bag work - 10 minutes

Pull ups: 3 sets to failure
High pulley, narrow grip lat pulldowns: 4 sets
Seated mid-grip rows: 5 sets
Seated simultaneous db curls: 4 sets
Standing hammer curls: 4 sets

Leg extensions: 4 sets
Calf raises: 5 sets

Every other chest workout I replace bench press with Pushups or simply add them regardless.

I cant do much for legs since I'm still recovering from an achilles tendon ruputre and placing weight on my heel as with a squat or pressure against the tendon itself as with a leg curl can be simply excrutiating.

I do abs both workouts as well as stretch.

Any thoughts? This is a departure from what I would normally do in several ways. Firstly I'm spending less time per body part, secondly I'm lifting for endurance rather than strength/size. I plan on starting this on the 21st of this month. I'll keep y'all posted on my progress.

Latest Discussions