Martial arts existing with other athletic hobbies

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Had a friend who was a competitive bodybuilder and based on what he said, winning is less about functional strength than sculpting an ideal shape. Low body fat, the smallest stomach, overdeveloping some muscles and underdeveloping others. There's a reason that the world's strongest men look more like giant Pugs than Greyhounds.

Who by the way are doing a boxing match soon.

I wonder how well a guy like that would fight if you encourage him not to bother hitting with power? Because he should have enough mass to do damage without expending the additional effort the rest of us do to power punches. Basically making his damaging punches quicker and requiring less effort.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
coz the plural of *** is also ***

Lets see how that works. There is a herd of 50 deer. OK. I spotted several elk on the meadow early this morning. Um hmmm. Old farmer Jones had several ***. Boy, that just doesn't cut it in American English. I'll try again. The rancher had two asses in the corral. That works!

Now let's try the other meaning. The whole group was morbidly obese. You never saw so many big bellies and fat ***. Nope. Doesn't work in my dialect. It's fat asses.

Language evolves. It is what people actually say, not what somebody put down in a book. And even those books generally list asses as the accepted plural ...at least on this side of the pond!

Thesaurus results for ASSES
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/***

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think training karate was a big part of Jacob's success at other sports (baseball and basketball).

From 4 years old to 10 years old all he did was karate. At 8 years olds he was training karate 5 nights a week and 3 hours a night.

When he started playing other sports he was able to pick them up quick because he understood the importance of technique and mechanics. Also training karate he already had good balance, body control, and explosiveness.

I've always found the same thing with students, especially, but not limited, to kids.

I had a lot of young hockey players. They disappeared from the dojo during hockey season, but flocked back afterwards. A lot of them told me later the reason they trained in the dojo was to improve their hockey play.
They also shared that they became no longer intimidated by hockey "enforcers:

Same was true with adults in various sports, softball, mens basketball leagues, handball, racketball, etc.

And as you said, body control, mechanics, balance, technique and the all important explosiveness.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lets see how that works. There is a herd of 50 deer. OK. I spotted several elk on the meadow early this morning. Um hmmm. Old farmer Jones had several ***. Boy, that just doesn't cut it in American English. I'll try again. The rancher had two asses in the corral. That works!

Now let's try the other meaning. The whole group was morbidly obese. You never saw so many big bellies and fat ***. Nope. Doesn't work in my dialect. It's fat asses.

Language evolves. It is what people actually say, not what somebody put down in a book. And even those books generally list asses as the accepted plural ...at least on this side of the pond!

Thesaurus results for ASSES
-cene definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
the whole confusion come from the fact there are two word *** and **** with very different meaning, though you could put your **** on an ***, that in no way makes them interchangeable

through a process of mispronunciation and then trying to spell the word they cant pronounce have ended up with ***

the plural of the (donkey) *** is ***, like the plural of sheep is sheep, not sheeps or sheepes, though lots of backwards people pronounce it that way, its doesn't make it right

ive no idea what the plural of buttocks *** is, its not a real word as such it can be what ever you want

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the whole confusion come from the fact there are two word *** and **** with very different meaning, though you could put your **** on an ***, that in no way makes them interchangeable
through a process of mispronunciation and then trying to spell the word they cant pronounce have ended up with ***
the plural of the (donkey) *** is ***, like the plural of sheep is sheep, not sheeps or sheepes, though lots of backwards people pronounce it that way, its doesn't make it right
ive no idea what the plural of buttocks *** is, its not a real word as such it can be what ever you want

Thank you for responding, as it gives me a chance to re-state my point, and hopefully with greater clarity.

In contemporary American English (which is also correctly, if less commonly referred to as the American Language) the four-letter word a-r-s e referring to one's buttocks is so old-fashioned as to be considered archaic and is seldom heard in common speech. The three letter version (minus the r) is universally used instead, and although vulgar, is not considered an error. You can check this in any American dictionary. However, knowing you to be a stickler, I invite you to verify this by checking the OED in the link below:

https://www.oed.com/oed2/00013185

Secondly, I again invite you to check readily available online sources regarding the plural of a-s-s (for either meaning the animal or your posterior) and you will find that it is "asses"...at least in North America.

Here's another example taken from the definition of a-s-s in North American usage from the OED/Lexico (see link below):

"An animal of the horse family, which is typically smaller than a horse and has longer ears and a braying call.
Genus Equus, family Equidae: E. africanus of Africa, which is the ancestor of the domestic *** or donkey, and E. hemionus of Asia"

‘This family, made up of the horses, asses and zebras, contains one genus with nine species.’

The bolded letters are mine. Source:
https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/***

Now you can persist in your position and I won't mind. Facts are facts, but then again over here in the States we've gotten used to prominent figures loudly denying the obvious. :p

Last edited:

Latest Discussions