Training Outside of Class?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can agree with this ;)

If you have any notion whatsoever of practicing for self defence reasons, you absolutely need to kick weighted.

Why?

Shoes.

If you can't kick with weights, you can't kick with shoes.

If you are called upon to defend yourself, you aren't likely to have time to get your shoes off.

My work boots weigh nigh on a kilo each, and I regularly practice in the garden wearing them.
Glad it's not just me

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heavy is a relative term. It's not an absolute term.

The fast speed and heavy weight don't go together. IMO, this weight training can help your roundhouse kick.

leg_exercise_machine.jpg
To heAvy for your knees is a Fairly exact term, thing are or are not,

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No it will just have more power doesn't mean the technique will be any better

This is why I said both are important for a strong kick. You need the technique to efficiently deliver that power...but you also need that power to deliver.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your purpose for stretching is to kick higher, then there's no point stretching it any other direction than the one you want to kick in,

It's is both a) dynamic and b) a stretch is there Fore a dynamic stretch

A front kick is NOT a stretch. Just because you're reaching your limit for how high you can kick doesn't make it a stretch, any more than punching as hard as you can is not a muscle-building exercise.

A straight axe kick increases flexibility in the direction of a front kick.
A stretch kick to the side increases flexibility you will need for a side kick.
The same for a kick to the back.

The difference is that the extension being there from the start with the stretching motion gives you stretch that gradually increases as you swing, and then is gradually released when you return. Whereas for a front kick, there's only a split second where you're at maximum stretch and there's no time for your muscles to expand.

To use a rubber band as an example:
  • Static stretching is pulling the rubber band and holding it under tension
  • Dynamic stretching is pulling the rubber band and letting tension bring it back
  • Kicking is snapping the rubber band
It's a completely different result on your muscles.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A front kick is NOT a stretch. Just because you're reaching your limit for how high you can kick doesn't make it a stretch, any more than punching as hard as you can is not a muscle-building exercise.

A straight axe kick increases flexibility in the direction of a front kick.
A stretch kick to the side increases flexibility you will need for a side kick.
The same for a kick to the back.

The difference is that the extension being there from the start with the stretching motion gives you stretch that gradually increases as you swing, and then is gradually released when you return. Whereas for a front kick, there's only a split second where you're at maximum stretch and there's no time for your muscles to expand.

To use a rubber band as an example:
  • Static stretching is pulling the rubber band and holding it under tension
  • Dynamic stretching is pulling the rubber band and letting tension bring it back
  • Kicking is snapping the rubber band
It's a completely different result on your muscles.
I only got as far as the first bit, so God knows what else is wrong, if you are STRETCHING when you kick it's a stretch, what else could it be and punching very hard is a good muscle builder, if it overloads the muscle what else could IT be

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You need the technique to efficiently deliver that power...but you also need that power to deliver.
The technique is the 50%. The ability is the other 50%. You can develop your technique in class. You can only develop your ability at home.

You can develop your foot sweep ability at home by using this special training equipment.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your purpose for stretching is to kick higher, then there's no point stretching it any other direction than the one you want to kick in,

It's is both a) dynamic and b) a stretch is there Fore a dynamic stretch
It's difficult to stretch the most important muscles for front-kick height during a front kick. They are stressed too late in the kick. The swinging kick puts stress on them earlier, allowing more stretch to them. For most folks, that's going to provide much faster returns on kick height, relaxation, and speed, than attempting to stretch within the offending kick.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi all, I just became a forum member after a few months of reading from the sidelines. Glad I joined.

I started practicing shaolin kung fu last year and recently hit that first, frustrating improvement plateau. Since I started, I attend class three days per week, and the other three days I practice what I've learned in class plus cardio--so about 2 hours training 6 days per week, including stretching. I feel like I haven't seen improvement lately and need to switch it up (ie, weights/different exercises). Just trying to break the plateau and continue getting better.

How do you train outside of class?

If your Dojo uses them what belt color are you? I used to speak often about the green belt paradox. It is around that time the average student starts to realize they know a little bit and at the same time not very much. You have gotten to where you are able to compare your skills against others, usually higher belts instead of just trying to get through class. Don’t beat yourself up. As others have said, if the normal class structure isn’t providing the goals you need, talk to your instructor and senior belts. It is a big part of the fellowship.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can agree with this ;)

If you have any notion whatsoever of practicing for self defence reasons, you absolutely need to kick weighted.

Why?

Shoes.

If you can't kick with weights, you can't kick with shoes.

If you are called upon to defend yourself, you aren't likely to have time to get your shoes off.

My work boots weigh nigh on a kilo each, and I regularly practice in the garden wearing them.
I only wear shoes two sizes too big, so I can step out of them at any danger. Plays hell with my running, though.

Reactions: pdg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your Dojo uses them what belt color are you? I used to speak often about the green belt paradox. It is around that time the average student starts to realize they know a little bit and at the same time not very much. You have gotten to where you are able to compare your skills against others, usually higher belts instead of just trying to get through class. Don’t beat yourself up. As others have said, if the normal class structure isn’t providing the goals you need, talk to your instructor and senior belts. It is a big part of the fellowship.
Where does green belt fall in your ranking?

OP
spidersam

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score

sounds like you nailed it ;)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The technique is the 50%. The ability is the other 50%. You can develop your technique in class. You can only develop your ability at home.

You can develop your foot sweep ability at home by using this special training equipment.

I definitely wouldn't use something like that. My entire perspective on sweeps is that it's not a brute strength technique. Sweeps take advantage of the opponent's weak root and imbalance. Better time would be spent to learning how to recognize when this exists and developing the timing.

If you want to develop ability then you have to do so with a training partner. If you just want to be able to do the movement then you can train that on your own through drills, but it won't be enough to know how to apply it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I have trained with a few muscle boys who kick like horses.

Figuratively and literally.
If their kicks suck, they might be easy to see and avoid. But if you don't (and they actually can kick at all) it's a bad day. If they have any soccer experience, you can count on them being able to put together some sort of useful kick, even if the technique isn't very good from a fighting standpoint.

Latest Discussions