Training out doors

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think it's impossible. I just have to find the right mix and talk to the right people. This isn't something I can do by myself. The one thing that I hope I still have going for me, is that when people said there's no way that something could happen, I was the one who helped make it happen or I was the one who showed that it could be done. Most of the time it was me working with others who believed in my passion and saw that I was determine to make it so.

I've done this in the past multiple times with other projects smaller but had a big impact based on the size of what was being done. I got the biggest county in Georgia to market my old kung fu school, I got the City of Hyattsville to trust me with building a city youth group that partnered with Subway, schools within the city limit, and the city police department. We were so successful that we no longer needed money from the City to substain ourselves. I've written successful grants when no one else thought it was possible, I needed only one person to help me with that, we both worked our ideas into the plan, mapped it out, and I think we wrote the grant and developed the program for the grant within 2 days.

I'm successful enough with things like that , that I'm building a website to meet a variety of community needs. As long as my passion holds and my mental state is good. I think it's possible to build a up a team of investors in order to make something like that come true. You'll be surprised at how easy somethings are when you get the right people involved. Get the wrong people involved and you'll end up with a nightmare.

The hardest thing about stuff like this is finding people you can trust once things get going well. In my case there was always that one person at the very end who wanted kick me out and take things over. Greed is a horrible thing, in the the process of satisfying their greed, they destroyed a good thing.
you maybe good at raising money, but not engineering or judging people it seems

things with retractable roofs are mind blowingly exspensive, just cantilevering the roof never mind the retracting mechnasim,

in your part of the world it would be infinetly cheaper to have an inside area for inclement weather and an out side area for outside training, not countibg the fact that you have hurrucanes that would steal yoyr roof
i mean really you only need a few square meters of grass how much does that cost ?

if your dermind to have a convertable building then the only cost effective way of doibg would be to steal the design from convertable cars and have a canvas roof that you move by a manual mechnism or add many many thousands if you want an auto mechanism

and the hurracanes will still steal your roof

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you maybe good at raising money, but not engineering or judging people it seems
I would get someone else to build the building. I'm a good judge of people. In all of my experiences I was never in a legal position to write up contract which would have been able to address such issues. In all of my experiences except for 1, I worked for a city or county government. When it happened with the kung fu school, I wasn't the owner of the school so I had no legal right to make any claim.

If I were truly a bad judgement of people, then I would be talking about how crappy my friends are, but I've yet to have that story to tell beyond one person in my life 2 people in my life. So out of the 38+ years of having friends, I've only had 2 friends that turned out to be Grade A works of Crap. Other than that I have a lot of supportive people around me. Which is why I've been successful with a lot of things like this. Remember, I didn't do any of this stuff alone. I may have started and plan the initial steps but I had to have multiple people to help me make it successful.

• In terms of the martial art school, the students did a good job in spreading the word. None of them stabbed me in my back.
  • In terms of the grant that I wrote. The person that help me didn't stab me in the back, It was management.
  • In terms of city wide computer learning project that I ran, The people that helped me didn't stab me in the back, it was management.
  • In terms of a city wide youth growth, it was my co-worker. He got jealous because what I did was benefiting the city and made the city officials look good. He literally went to our boss and told our boss that "It was either Him or Me." So the boss kept me and got rid of him. He and the boss were friends for many years. But there were other parties such as the police department, the kids themselves play a huge role, I can't do it without them.
  • In terms of getting Gwinnett County Marketing the school. No one turned on me, The Sifu gave up, didn't have "stick to it and see things through". The way he gave up screwed the school in terms of having a relation with Gwinnett County. What martial arts school wouldn't want to be able to advertise in every county school for free? Especially when it's not allowed. Only the county can push through advertisements through the school.
So as you see I'm not just working with one other person. So there are a lot of people who didn't stab me in the back. But in each situation, I didn't have any legal solution to prevent negative behavior by writing a contract of ownership or partnership.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
things with retractable roofs are mind blowingly exspensive, just cantilevering the roof never mind the retracting mechnasim,
I can't go into all of the details. Oh how I would make it happen. I'm a little superstitious about discussing full plans. There's an old saying that you keep plans to yourself, so the devil won't hear them and work against you. In other words get it done first then talk about how you did it. Talking about plans and dreams to freely just sets you up for the Crappy people to start interfering with what you want to create. Nothing personal, but sound business advice for anyone.

The only thing I want people here to know is that things like this are possible when you have the right people involved. Things are usually not as far out as reach as we think they are.

People like to help people who help people. This has been proven millions of times.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't go into all of the details. Oh how I would make it happen. I'm a little superstitious about discussing full plans. There's an old saying that you keep plans to yourself, so the devil won't hear them and work against you. In other words get it done first then talk about how you did it. Talking about plans and dreams to freely just sets you up for the Crappy people to start interfering with what you want to create. Nothing personal, but sound business advice for anyone.

The only thing I want people here to know is that things like this are possible when you have the right people involved. Things are usually not as far out as reach as we think they are.

People like to help people who help people. This has been proven millions of times.

Seems to me that if you don't talk about your plans in advance, your builder is going to have a really difficult time of it...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seems to me that if you don't talk about your plans in advance, your builder is going to have a really difficult time of it...
Sorry. let me clarify. You don't talk about your plans with those who aren't involved. So if you had a plans to start your own business. You can ask other's questions, but you don't talk about how you actually plan to make something happen with those not directly involved.

So those who build the building will only need to know the specs of what they are building and the requirements. They wouldn't need to know any information about how one plans to be successful with the actual business. You definitely wouldn't discuss this with family and friends. Sometimes that's the worst thing you could do. You can discuss with maybe a wife so long as she understood the "don't talk to anyone about this" requirement. It just depends on how supportive your wife is. If she's a negative person by default then don't bring it up. So long as you aren't using family financials, just keep it to yourself until it's done.

So in short you'll only share information with those who need to know. Everyone else will just get the smallest amount as possible. It's ok to let people know what you want to do or accomplish. That's how you get help, but don't share the details unless they are directly involved in making it happen, and even then. You have those contracts and non-disclosure agreements ready for them to sign. Hopefully that clarifies things.

Papageno

White Belt
Reaction score
We started outdoor training this summer due to obvious reasons, but it was a bit awkward using sneakers with your gi. Besides, some exercises just doesn't play well on asphalt. Now, we're in the dojo again. The evenings are darker and it's getting colder here in Sweden. To quote a famous TV series: "Winter is coming..."

As for addressing my sensei, I call him sensei in the dojo. But I use his first name in the locker room. No official distinction, it just feels more natural. We don't use mr/mrs/sir in our language anymore. It was more or less abolished in the early 1960's. Before my time.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I tend to enjoy the outdoor training. Behind my house is a good size wooded foothill and sometimes, on a weekend, me and two of my students will hike to a flat spot and do some training...kata, 9stick, and some sparring. It makes for a nice Saturday training class.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

eer what im telling you, is what ever your building costs are for a normal building you can times that by 10 to have a retractable roof, thats with out hurricanes.

or to simpkyfy it for you, who ever your extracting the money from could build nine other comnunity assets as well if they showed you the door, at the very best your being extremly selfish

you of course will blame the devil rather than your lack of a feasability study

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
at the very best your being extremly selfish
You don't know enough about the plan to even determine this.

you of course will blame the devil rather than your lack of a feasability study
Again you don't know enough about the plan to determine this. Me not sharing what my plans are has nothing to do feasibility studies. To put it simply. I don't want to share the plan beyond what I've already stated. If you were one of the people who needs to know then you would know, but you aren't so you don't. It's that simple. not everyone needs to know every detail of what you are trying to get accomplished.

No difference in how you and others don't share every little detail about plans for stuff. Nothing selfish, nothing person. Just a whole lot of none of your business and you don't need to know the rest.