Training out doors

Drobison491

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What are peoples preferences, training out doors/more informal or training in an actual dojo.

I'm now roughly 3 months into my Uechi Ryu journey, and thanks to the Rona and our governor having some of the strictest restrictions in the US, I've only trained out side. That being said its actually been pretty great. the only focus has been on training, no ranks/belts Gis. Just a couple of us getting together to work out.

However, it will be nice to eventually get into the dojo and have a more traditional atmosphere.

Side note, things are finally starting to click for me. While I still have a long way to go, I don't always feel like i have 2 left feet.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are peoples preferences, training out doors/more informal or training in an actual dojo.

I'm now roughly 3 months into my Uechi Ryu journey, and thanks to the Rona and our governor having some of the strictest restrictions in the US, I've only trained out side. That being said its actually been pretty great. the only focus has been on training, no ranks/belts Gis. Just a couple of us getting together to work out.

However, it will be nice to eventually get into the dojo and have a more traditional atmosphere.

Side note, things are finally starting to click for me. While I still have a long way to go, I don't always feel like i have 2 left feet.
winter, indoors

summer out doors
formality is over rated

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Training outside rocks. I much prefer it to training inside. However, i live in a climate that is conducive year-round, even in the winter it is not too cold for outdoor training.

OP
Drobison491

Drobison491

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Its been pretty nice here in New Mexico. Especially since I've been relegated to an office position, its nice to have the hours outside

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Both are good. I keep the majority of my inside classes informal anyway as I’d rather spend more time working out rather than making grown men bow to me. My club is super informal they call me by my first name I’m on the floor doing all the exercises i give them to do. I’ve never believed in all the osu sensei or yes sir no sir or bowing to a photo. They’re paying to do martial arts and train so that’s what I spend more time doing

OP
Drobison491

Drobison491

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Both are good. I keep the majority of my inside classes informal anyway as I’d rather spend more time working out rather than making grown men bow to me. My club is super informal they call me by my first name I’m on the floor doing all the exercises i give them to do. I’ve never believed in all the osu sensei or yes sir no sir or bowing to a photo. They’re paying to do martial arts and train so that’s what I spend more time doing

From what my instructor has told me they do a kneeling bow in the beginning/end of class. and we do a standing bow before formal exercises (kumite/bunkai). but that's about it. I call him Sir or Mr. "Last Name": depending on the situation but that's just how I was raised.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
From what my instructor has told me they do a kneeling bow in the beginning/end of class. and we do a standing bow before formal exercises (kumite/bunkai). but that's about it. I call him Sir or Mr. "Last Name": depending on the situation but that's just how I was raised.
No right or wrong way but I just don’t feel right making grown men call me sir as for all the kneeling stuff. I know what it means and all that but I just think it’s a waste of time, I’d rather just come in and get to it

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I've actually have found training outdoors to be better than indoors when the weather is nice. I prefer outdoor training, unfortunately seasonal allergies, weather, and limited day light makes indoor training more practical especially when it comes to equipment.

If I had the money, I would have a building built with a retractable roof in the center of the building so I could have an outdoor area located inside the building where students could train. That way on nicer days I student could train in that area. I would also like to have a dedicated indoor area as well.

OP
Drobison491

Drobison491

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No right or wrong way but I just don’t feel right making grown men call me sir as for all the kneeling stuff. I know what it means and all that but I just think it’s a waste of time, I’d rather just come in and get to it

eh my instructor is twice my age, and I've been doing this military thing for to long so sir comes natural. he'd be fine if I used his first name, its just weird to me

OP
Drobison491

Drobison491

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've actually have found training outdoors to be better than indoors when the weather is nice. I prefer outdoor training, unfortunately seasonal allergies, weather, and limited day light makes indoor training more practical especially when it comes to equipment.

If I had the money, I would have a building built with a retractable roof in the center of the building so I could have an outdoor area located inside the building where students could train. That way on nicer days I student could train in that area. I would also like to have a dedicated indoor area as well.

If I was on the east coast training outside would be hard for me, but my allergies are considerably less here in the the desert.

That's a pretty awesome idea actually.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I was on the east coast training outside would be hard for me, but my allergies are considerably less here in the the desert.

From what people tell me, Allergies in Georgia are the worst. It's common to hear people from other states say that they never had problems with allergies until they came to Georgia. I think we have 2 major seasons for Allergies. Spring and Autumn. In spring things turn yellow with Pollen. If you went camping and slept under the moon. You would wake up with yellow powder all over you from the pollen. During the autumn we get a different pollen that doesn't leave such a big mess. During the Summer we get Pollution issues so there you have it. Winter is the only good breathing season lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

they are not using Wimbledon this year,

OP
Drobison491

Drobison491

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
From what people tell me, Allergies in Georgia are the worst. It's common to hear people from other states say that they never had problems with allergies until they came to Georgia. I think we have 2 major seasons for Allergies. Spring and Autumn. In spring things turn yellow with Pollen. If you went camping and slept under the moon. You would wake up with yellow powder all over you from the pollen. During the autumn we get a different pollen that doesn't leave such a big mess. During the Summer we get Pollution issues so there you have it. Winter is the only good breathing season lol

That's how it was in VA, NC, and SC. spent 20 years between those states so I'm pretty happy to be back in a desert.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh about the building design. I'm trying to figure out how to actually get something like that built. I don't know where I'm going to get the money from or who I need to team up with in order to make it happen. But I think I can pull it off

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh about the building design. I'm trying to figure out how to actually get something like that built. I don't know where I'm going to get the money from or who I need to team up with in order to make it happen. But I think I can pull it off
posssibly easier to buy a convertable car and wave your spear about in that

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
posssibly easier to buy a convertable car and wave your spear about in that
I don't think it's impossible. I just have to find the right mix and talk to the right people. This isn't something I can do by myself. The one thing that I hope I still have going for me, is that when people said there's no way that something could happen, I was the one who helped make it happen or I was the one who showed that it could be done. Most of the time it was me working with others who believed in my passion and saw that I was determine to make it so.

I've done this in the past multiple times with other projects smaller but had a big impact based on the size of what was being done. I got the biggest county in Georgia to market my old kung fu school, I got the City of Hyattsville to trust me with building a city youth group that partnered with Subway, schools within the city limit, and the city police department. We were so successful that we no longer needed money from the City to substain ourselves. I've written successful grants when no one else thought it was possible, I needed only one person to help me with that, we both worked our ideas into the plan, mapped it out, and I think we wrote the grant and developed the program for the grant within 2 days.

I'm successful enough with things like that , that I'm building a website to meet a variety of community needs. As long as my passion holds and my mental state is good. I think it's possible to build a up a team of investors in order to make something like that come true. You'll be surprised at how easy somethings are when you get the right people involved. Get the wrong people involved and you'll end up with a nightmare.

The hardest thing about stuff like this is finding people you can trust once things get going well. In my case there was always that one person at the very end who wanted kick me out and take things over. Greed is a horrible thing, in the the process of satisfying their greed, they destroyed a good thing.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, both for sure! Love any training outdoors (beach training ESPECIALLY), but honestly probably prefer the majority of training in a proper dojo, nothin' like it!

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i have done both and prefer outside if i am doing stand up fighting but living in new england makes kata difficult in 3 ft of snow. one dojo i used to attend was a converted barn, only a small propane heater,, the rule was if the room was below 50 Degrees you could wear socks. the change room had no heat, i would shake my gi to get some heat into the fibers before putting it on, but that was when i was younger and liked to push myself. not sure i could train like that now. if im training in grappling then i prefer mats so indoors.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like training outdoors, but it's nice to have the option of working inside when it's cold, raining, or snowing. Plus mats in the dojo don't leave grass stains on your clothes, which is a plus.