Training in the Philippines

B

baronv

Has anyone here actually learned or trained Kali/Escrima/Arnis in the Philippines? When I was there late last year I couldn't find any training areas where it was taught. I ended up practicing at a Tae Kwon Do school instead.

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
The majority of FMA training in Metro Manila or outskirts is very informal. I believe the backyard sessions in the the provinces are still big for Pekiti-Tirsia and Balintawak while some train at Luneta Park. I believe you can catch GM Mena of Doblete Ropillon, Master Telebangco and a host of Ilustrisimo players such as Roberto Morales and Pedro Reyes and some Tapado players too. There is a small percentage that teach in a club/school setting from Bakbakan to GM Tony Diego in Chinatown, the Yaw-Yan Temples, Modern Arnis, Arnis Lanada & Lightining Scientific. As you probably already know, a trip to Cebu is a must for any Doce Pares enthusiast.

The last time I was in the Philippines was in 1995. IMO..."basics" is the focus there for any style because "advanced" techniques are nothing but basics perfected!

John J
BAKBAKAN International
www.bakbakan.com

Black Grass

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
John is absolutely right about the 'basics'. When I went to the Phil. back in 97 I had already had a few years of experience. However, a lot of my training concentratd on cleaning up my basics.

At the time I was a bit of a prodigyat drills, fancy techniques and disarms. However, I did realize how bad my stroke was until I got there. When I came back I realize how bad so many people in NA were.

Vince

OP
M

Mormegil

There seems to be a number of teachers in Negros Occidental. Before I went home to the Philippines to visit a few years ago, I asked if anybody knew any teachers on the Inayan Eskrima Digest listserv. It's a pretty good resource (I haven't been reading it for a few years though): http://www.martialartsresource.com/filipino/filipino.htm

I got a few numbers. I ended up training briefly (2.5 days) with Grandmaster Nene Tortal. He happened to be in Manila at the time. An amazing experience. I probably would have gotten a lot more out of it if I had prior experience in Pekita/Dekita Tirsia, and more FMA experience in general. He seemed pleasantly surprised that I didn't have any TKD or Karate training.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mormegil
There seems to be a number of teachers in Negros Occidental. Before I went home to the Philippines to visit a few years ago, I asked if anybody knew any teachers on the Inayan Eskrima Digest listserv. It's a pretty good resource (I haven't been reading it for a few years though): http://www.martialartsresource.com/filipino/filipino.htm

I got a few numbers. I ended up training briefly (2.5 days) with Grandmaster Nene Tortal. He happened to be in Manila at the time. An amazing experience. I probably would have gotten a lot more out of it if I had prior experience in Pekita/Dekita Tirsia, and more FMA experience in general. He seemed pleasantly surprised that I didn't have any TKD or Karate training.

I've met and trained with GM Nene once. He's a great guy and an excellent MAist. I've never been to the PI, but my instructor went down to train with GM Nene a few years ago.

Another place that I'm aware on PI, is GM Cacoy Canete's gym in Cebu City.

Mike

OP
B

baronv

Thanks for the response. When I was in the Phi. in August last year I was in the Baliwag/San Rafael area and also in the Legaspi, Bicol region. I asked my relatives there if they knew of any Escrima instructors but they did not know of any while I was there. I did pick up some nice kali sticks and would have pick up some more nice ones (saw great ones in Baguio), but I had no more room left in my luggage for them. One thing I know it must be very tiring practicing there since just the humidity kills me, after 2 hrs. in a TKD studio I tried out at, I felt like I lost 10 lbs., and that was at night and it was raining outside too!

OP
M

Mormegil

In the Manila area, at Vira (sp?) mall, there was a martial arts supply store with tons of great stuff. I got some nice padded rattan sticks, kamagong sticks, a couple of good balisongs (made in Taiwan, not Batangas - Jeff Imada appears to have some of these on the video covers). I also got cheap Thai pads and focus mits. Vinyl unfortunately, but a great deal. I can't remeber the name of the store, but it's worth a look.

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe the MA store you are referring to is the Squadron Shop owned by Master Alex Co of Ngo Cho Kun Kung Fu. If so, that is a very good place to start any search for martial arts when visiting the Philippines. He knows pretty much everyone in & out of the Metro Manila area.

John J

OP
B

baronv

Do they sell karate uniforms ther also? I was looking for a MA store when I was in Manila, but I coudln't find one in the areas I was in. Was looking to get new uniforms si I think I could have gotten a really good quality gi for cheap there at the time.

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
hi

ive just returned from training in quezon city, 3weeks ago with GM abrian, i also visited the sqaudron shop in virra mall i picked up 5 videos the 3 tape kalis illustrisimo ft tatang illustrisimo and also the 2 tape lapunti video by ondo caburnay..so cheap as well

the sunday training in rizal park seems dead they told me that they train arnis there on weekdays there is also a modern arnis school at the end of the park where arroyo made her speach a few days before the edsa aniversary.. Tondo is where you can find GM mena i hope to visit him next year as well as continuing my training with my teacher GM Abrian...

virra mall is a good place to shop for cheap shoes also.....

hope this helps

terry

OP
T

Tom Caulfield

Trained at Lapu Lapu Vinas Arnis Affecinados club with GM Wilson Vinas.
65 Lacson St., Bacolod City, RP

Latest Discussions