Warriors: On Living with Courage, Discipline, and Honor

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
pe_warr.jpg

I got my copy today and had to share this. My essay, "Warrior Lessons Learned and Unlearned," appears on page 88 of Warriors: On Living with Courage, Discipline, and Honor, now available from Paladin Press:

Link at Paladin

From the website:

The word “warrior” is not new. The soldiers, cops, emergency rescue personnel and other men and women who face hardship and danger in service to others have always used it. But outside this warrior community, it was just a word with no great significance attached to it – that is, until September 11, 2001. After that, “warrior” became a buzzword. Most often it’s used properly, though sometimes its use has been a stretch of the definition. In compiling this collection of essays, Loren W. Christensen sought the true meaning, the essence, of warriorhood by going to the source, to those who live it. The writers who contributed to this work are a diverse mix, from soldiers, cops and SWAT officers to martial art masters to experts in the fields of workplace violence, theology and school safety. They are some of the finest warrior authors, warrior trainers and warrior scholars today. Many have faced death, survived and now teach others to do the same. Here they speak candidly on what it’s like to sacrifice, to train, to protect . . . Even to kill . . . To accomplish what needs to be done. Because that’s what a warrior does. 5 1/2 x 8 1/2, softcover, 376 pp. ISBN 1-58160-454-8

The book is really quite beautifully printed and has exceeded even my expectations in terms of its content and appearance. Seeing my name in the company of everyone from Loren Christensen to Jerry VanCook to Mike Janich to Stephen K. Hayes is kind of mind-blowing.

Mekugi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Right on!

Good to see Loren is still writing, I think I have everything he has written so far, I might as well pick this one up the next time I am at Powell's in good old Portland. Woohoo!

BTW...What did you contribute to this?

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score

My essay, "Warrior Lessons Learned and Unlearned," appears on page 88 of Warriors: On Living with Courage, Discipline, and Honor, now available from Paladin Press:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive caught some flak on other forums (some here too) for putting LEO and Warrior into the same sentence. The argument is that Warriors see others as enemies and opponents to be overcome...LEO's are to protect and serve everybody in the community. I dont see why the terms are "mutually exclusive" but just dont feel like putting the brain power or frustration into trying to explain.....if somebody else does have at it.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Ive caught some flak on other forums (some here too) for putting LEO and Warrior into the same sentence. The argument is that Warriors see others as enemies and opponents to be overcome...LEO's are to protect and serve everybody in the community. I dont see why the terms are "mutually exclusive" but just dont feel like putting the brain power or frustration into trying to explain.....if somebody else does have at it.

The traditional warrior is one who protects his culture be it village, city state, country, or planet from what society has determined to be counter productive.

A LEO does the same as they protect the general population from from what society has determined to be counter productive.

Yes, a Warrior can also be offensive and be responsible for raiding other village's, tribes, city states, countries or planets and obtain items to bring back to their culture or society. Including food and or women to enhance the genetic pool even if this was not known consciously. So, this definition of a warrior is to bring about the first one listed above. For you need one to protect against the other.

Now one culture may call the other cultures warriors, thieves, barbarians, murderers, or rapists, or they maybe called that by their own culture. Where as they also maybe called heros and providers once again by either culture or society.

Not the answer, just some thoughts on part of an answer.

:asian: