Training Contracts

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Throughout some of these forums the "training contract" has come up from time to time, as in "I don't know if I really like the art I'm training in, but now I'm in contract."

Does this mean that you now have no recourse? Can't get your money back for the training you haven't got to yet? This seems rather peculiar to me. I've not yet run across this idea of being roped into a contract.

Is this common out there in the MA world?

S

Shinzu

some instructors love contracts...why??? security. this guarantees that you will have income flowing as well as a steady student count.

some instructors will bend with you if you describe your situation. i have done this in the past due to a work conflict. he was very understanding. i would not come right out and say "you stink" or something to that matter.

by law if you sign a contract the teacher/ associaton can hold you liable to pay such dues. before you sign anything you should ask your questions and get things in writing. if you don't feel comfortable then don't sign. it's that simple.

i for one would never use contracts. if a student wants to leave then so be it. i will not force someone to do something they have no desire to do. nor would i feel right about taking their money on top of that.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
we don't use contracts but we do use electronic fund transfer for tuition collection for a set amount of months. it is professional, gives us more time to teach instead of making phone calls and trying to collect dues. If someone has a legit reason they need to leave the agreement we don't hassle them. (medical issue, moving, etc...)
Students can also just pay us direct month to month and avoid the EFT although it will cost them a bit more.

S

ShaolinWolf

We have contracts in ATA TKD, but if you don't have the money or have to quit for some reason, your account gets put on hold or "frozen". I have a set amount to pay each month. But even then, if I have some financial bind, and I had to quit, I'd just put it on hold and not have to worry about it.

:asian:

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
stickarts said:
we don't use contracts but we do use electronic fund transfer for tuition collection for a set amount of months. it is professional, gives us more time to teach instead of making phone calls and trying to collect dues. If someone has a legit reason they need to leave the agreement we don't hassle them. (medical issue, moving, etc...)
Students can also just pay us direct month to month and avoid the EFT although it will cost them a bit more.

One thing everyone should be aware of is that most automatic withdrawal services register on your credit report as the full extent of the debt. So if you're buying a car or a mortgage, it can hurt your buying power.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't like or use contracts either. A student should practice at your school because he feels comfortable there, likes your teaching style, and enjoys learning what you have to offer. He should not be legally obligated to practice because he signed a piece of paper. In my opinion, if you have to use contracts, to me this means you aren't that good since students aren't with you by free choice.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can undertand te use of contracts since MA schools need to project business costs and income like any other business, but it's up to the teacher to provide ample cause for release as well as some personal responsibility on the part of the student to make sure their interests are met.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As one of our Senior Instructors said once, "For money I have a job; for Life i have Tae Kwon Do."
I suppose if you teach TKD for a living, contracts are a necessity to keep students there. If you don't teach for a living, or only by choice, I don't see them as necessary.

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But, has anyone ever heard of someone being forced to continue to pay if they are preferring to leave and carry on training elsewhere?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes there are schools that will inforce that rule but as a consumer you have ways to get out of them

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I started out on a month to month pay plan for a while. After thinking about it and knowing I would be around in town for a long time, I decided to ask about their yearly contract. The director didn't push for the contract. He discussed it only when I brought up the topic and I asked about what is involved with a year contract. Ater I read through it entirely and asked a whole bunch of questions and were satisfied with his answers, I signed up under my own free will. It is a lot cheaper (when compared to 12 month worth of monthly payments) and I don't have to worry each month how to come up with the money (since it is already paid for in advance). It has a lot of perks and does have a very generous release/reimbursement clause. I am now on my second year of my contract (renewed yearly). I keep my sons on the month to month payment though, because they are young and I am aware that there might be a time when they may want to do something different. I am satisfied and very comfortable with this arrangment for my family.

- Ceicei

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry about that, I didn't mean to start up a done topic. I should have searched before I spoke.
icon11.gif

S

Shinzu

not a problem flatlander. sometimes when we re-visit the old, we find there are new things to learn. i for one am enjoying this thread. :asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting out in TKD, I signed a one year contract. Already had one each for my daughter and son going. Family rate made it also cheaper for each one that signed. It was no big deal. It made it more of a commitment for me. I figured if I didn't give it a year, I really did do it justice. Not that I wasn't a little leary. I really thought I would just do it for exercise, be a professional white belt, and to keep my kids going. My daughter really got me in, just kept on me to join.

But after I got BB and my teens too, I didn't see the contract again. I had taught for him free for years, kickboxing and given him alot of my time in other ways. Lately, I found out he doesn't make any regulars sign any more. He didn't enforce the contracts anyway, to my knowledge. I think its good, its a mental thing to make the commitment and sign a contract. The instructor/master of the school has a better idea then that he can make the rent, utilities and his own living expenses and he doesn't have to resort to other ways to raise money. Although our master does make additional monies through equipment and tournaments. It enables him to buy bigger equipment for the dojang. As long as there are not exhorbitant contracts and allowances are made for some circumstances, it really is a positive thing.

Latest Discussions