MA or MS

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you view fighting as martial arts or martial sciences?

I like to think it is an art, sciences don't have style. I'll leave the rest of my comments til some of you give me some input.

OP
H

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey, how do you make a poll? I wanted to make it a poll, But I dunno how to. Could a moderator just add a poll? I think it's pretty self explanatory on what would be on it.:idunno:

W

WLMantisKid

Uhm... it's called the Martial Arts, so I really dont know what you're asking... :idunno:

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Valid question. In Korea, TKD is considered a martial sport because it has been reduced to a fighting activity designed to make points and produce tournament winners. In America, groups like the USTU exist to train gifted students for tournaments like the World Championships and the Olympics. Everything about Tae Kwon Do has been scientifically analyzed and changed to produce maximum speed, efficiency, and point potential. So you may ask yourself "Where is the art?" There is plenty of science in modern Tae Kwon Do, but it is at a serious risk of losing its soul in the pursuit of making points and tournament champions. Also, what happens when you are 30 years old and too old to compete? How about when you're 50, 60, or 70? Will you give up Tae Kwon Do because you are too old to compete effectively?
The beauty of traditional Tae Kwon Do is that you are never too old. You can still practice traditional TKD or MA at 50, 60, 70, and even 80.
It is traditional Tae Kwon Do that can be considered a martial ART, in the sense that it allows more room for self improvement and expression: beauty, gracefulness, morality, philosophy, and individuality. Therefore, I think if you practice traditional TKD you can be considered a martial artist. If you merely practice tournament competition, you are a martial athlete.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:

I like to think it is an art, sciences don't have style. I'll leave the rest of my comments til some of you give me some input.
Personaly I find it to be a science. The art just manifests itself through the study of that science. Supporting members can start poles. Just click on 'supporting members' at the top of your screen for more details. :asian:
Sean

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also thought Michigan TKD had a good post on this. As a 54 yr. old martial artist, I use science and analyze problems to get to whatever goal in TKD. Though, if this was just a sport based on optimum physicial ability, I would have to hang it up. I can't compete with twenty somethings. And although I still go to tournaments, I compete with BB men as there are not very many women 45+ in TKD or Karate (Opens) to compete WITH. Our tournaments are more for fun and experience than competition anyway. As a martial ART, I would hope to continue as long as I can without further damage to joints. But I need a kindler-gentler version soon.

T

TKDman

Well "Shidoshi" from the movie Bloodsport refers to it as "Martial Science" so it must be Martial Sciences! SHIDOSHI CAN NOT BE WRONG!

I mean, who would argue with him?

S

Shinzu

i would consider it both.

it is a science in that it can be looked at, broken down, examined, learned upon etc....

is is an art in that it is graceful, wonderful, self constructive, molded, and creative.

there are sides for both opinions. it all depends on how you look at it.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shinzu said:
i would consider it both.

it is a science in that it can be looked at, broken down, examined, learned upon etc....

is is an art in that it is graceful, wonderful, self constructive, molded, and creative.

there are sides for both opinions. it all depends on how you look at it.
Both complementary aspects of a unified whole. Is that where you're going with this? Beautiful, Shinzu. I love symmetry.

S

Shinzu

thanks!! indeed flatlander. both aspects equal a whole. the MA's are very complex. that is why it is a life long journey. simply taking short cuts will get you know where but on your butt.

OP
H

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A lot of good posts. Thank you all. I have to admit that I have been slightly swayed in my oppinion on this. I used to believe that it should be looked at as an art and only an art, but I see that scientific analysis can be helpful. What promted this post is how America seems to want to standardize the arts. I don't like complete stardization of the arts just because it limits progress toward personal expression of the arts. Again, thank you all for your posts.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What promted this post is how America seems to want to standardize the arts. I don't like complete stardization of the arts just because it limits progress toward personal expression of the arts. - Han-Mi

well put.

there are those who feel that their style or system is a science, but, according to what i learned in school, a science would yield predictable results based on historic precedents. that is rarely the case in what most of us practice as martial arts.

worse, many times science, or more aptly "pseudo-science" is used to explain simple concepts with elaborate terms, which some would confuse for "principles"... (yeah, another topic)

i think we would all agree that music and painting are arts. However, both are bound by scientific constructs that define what is possible and what isn't. for example, the tighter the string the higher the pitch and mixing yellow and blue will make green.

so, i'm not saying martial arts do not have a basis in physical science, anatomy, etc. without them there would be no foundation for the advantages being leveraged by a martial style. however, the execution is purely art in that the individual's strengths, weaknesses, preferences, likes, and dislikes all come in to play. How each individual interprets and executes the physical representation is no longer science... but art.

pete

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pete, I'm there. Can't add to that.
icon14.gif

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:

The "study" of martial arts is science based on principles and logic.
The "practice" of martial arts is art...it is the science expressed.
Overall (all together), it's a "way". Not a good english translation for "way"; but that's how I view it nonetheless.

Your Brother
John

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
so, i'm not saying martial arts do not have a basis in physical science, anatomy, etc. without them there would be no foundation for the advantages being leveraged by a martial style. however, the execution is purely art in that the individual's strengths, weaknesses, preferences, likes, and dislikes all come in to play. How each individual interprets and executes the physical representation is no longer science... but art.

Great analysis of this topic, pete. Takes performance art to a new level!!!

Donna :asian:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pete, as always - insightful.

Art is subjective. It provokes a response and is subject to interpretation by the individual. A.

Latest Discussions