Dillema...Contract or no contract?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The jury is still out. I need a little more clarification of the contract. If I am reading it correctly, it may only need a 30 day notice and you are free of the contract. It may very well be that they just do not want to handle the billing and financial aspect of things and are simply jobbing it out.

If that is the case I would feel a lot better about it and would be willing to sign on as I do not really want to leave in the first place. Its just that I have been burned before with a health club and have friends who were burned by MA clubs. I am just being cautious.

-Marc-

It definately pays to be informed and cautious! It really comes down to doing business with someone honest and reputable. I have heard of people also getting burned by clubs that don't use contracts.
I think it is important to have several options. Although we use contracts we also have other membership options for students that don't want to make a long term committment. I don't believe in trying to force someone to train or to be there that doesn't want to be. The students that do want to make the committment can make an agreement and get a less expensive rate but thats totally their choice. We explain the options, the pro's and con's, and let them choose.
I try and always look at things from the students viewpoint when i design our programs and memberships, etc...

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Simple. We charge by the class. If you show up, you pay for the class. If you don't pay, you don't train. Pay for 10 at a time and save a few bucks.

pete

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so far so good. most students come once/twice per week. we offer 3 different disciplines (Tai Chi, Kenpo, Yoga) and a few take cross over classes.

Kids classes were slow over summer, but most are back on track. we did seem to lose one, who knows maybe he'll be back. Our classes are still small, but after about 18 months now, the adult students are loyal... not because they have to be but because they want to be. some students are enrolled in other arts at other studios and supplement with us, others seem to be always around. others come just for our workshops...

basically, we are get more in than we lose, we're adding classes to maintain proper individual attention, and people seem to like the flexibility.

oh yeah, we don't have any membership fees, belt testing fees, or clubs to further separate our students from their hard earned dollars. just pay for the classes you take, when you take 'em. its pretty laid back atmosphere, great for getting stuff done and easy to admin.

we have a website with more info www.silkwindstudio.com ... check it out. all the pricing is out there. pictures too!

pete

OP
Shotochem

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
we have a website with more info www.silkwindstudio.com ... check it out. all the pricing is out there. pictures too!
pete

Pete, that sounds cool to me. Do you accept anyone for your workshops or do you have to be a regular member. I may be interested in a workshop or 2 time permitting. I love to do workshops and seminars a la carte. It keeps it fresh and enjoyable.

If you were a little closer to my home regular classes would be a possibility. I like the fact you have them on Sundays and Fri nights.

-Marc-

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure, Marc... ALL are welcome to workshops OR to drop-in for classes. We don't have 'memberships'... just student who come more regularly than others.

Most workshops are taught at the 'general' level, but occasionally there may be a pre-requisite to keep a certain pace and cover the material as advertised. Usually though, beginners learn the basics while those more experienced explore deeper elements at the same time.

If you are interested in coming, give me a call or email me via the address on the website. If you'd like, I can put you on our email list for studio news. (btw, let me know where you are in NY...)

pete

OP
Shotochem

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Great Pete, I sent you a PM.

It turns out my fears were a little premature. The is an out on the contract all they need is a 30 day notice and I can terminate the contract for any reason. It seems they just do not want to handle the financial aspect of the bussiness and the entire organization is jobbing it out to save administrative costs.

-Marc-

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From a student's point of view, I don't like contracts as a rule, mostly at the point where I am considering training somewhere. Still, I have signed them before, even up to as long as a year for training at a school I know and and feel confident that I will be able and want to train for the duration of the contract.