Training at work? No more LOL

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My lab has a large room that houses the superconducting magnets. There's a large, wide-open space that has enough room for me to perform even the most space-hogging kata, such as Kushanku Dai, Jion, Chinto, etc.

My co-workers (all three of them) already know that I'm heavily into the martial arts aspect, and simply know that I'm passing some time while the magnets are pulsing (they don't pulse any faster when I stare at the computer screen). The co-workers are good folks, and don't interrupt me in the middle of kata unless it's an emergency.

I don't practice using kiai at work, though.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I used to practice in the lab as well. Once I got a bit carried away and unintentionally back kicked an office chair clear across the room where it landed and broke a wheel. Good thing I didn`t hit anything else like the nearby table full of glass jars with various chemicals. Now I just occationally do kata veeery slowly. And I open the heating cabinets at floor level using ashibarai (carefully) when my hands are full. Hmm could also work with a low side kick or nanamageri (sp?) I guess.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When i'm stuck watching a server reboot or download, I will sometimes practice my one steps or self defense tech. Most server closets are to small for forms.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone remember the episode of The Office where Dwight brought his blue belt to the office with him.
LOL

AoG

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One more thing you can do "anywhere". Look and observe everyone around you and far away. Learn what "awareness" is...be on the look out for every type of person and what you would do if the sudden attack you?

Look at the people in front of you, what would you do if they pull a knife out/gun out....practice your train of thoughts...what should I do? where do I strike, or do I run away? and so on!

"ALWAYS" TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS, if something doesn't feel right? ....be ON alert.

When you see people nearby...think about how you would defend yourself against them? Especially the BIG guys!

Avoiding any confrontation is best way to live longer and heather...awareness is just as important too! ....Try practicing the WHAT IF's in your mind.........Aloha

Latest Discussions