training alone

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hi guys
leading on from cwk thread-and training alone i am going to be spending a lot more time focused on my wing chun.
i am dropping my 3 mornings of gym and cardio for the next 8 weeks or so.
this means i will have 4 mornings per week where i get 45mins to practice.

how would you all set this out
do i concentrate on one aspect per 45min session ie
1. first form
2. second form
3. dummy work
4.kicking the 4x4 lump of wood
or shapes/structures for chi sau
etc
or do i mix up diff aspects within each session and do say 15mins of each.

any thoughts ideas etc so i can structure this, if i dont i think ill waste what is valuable sleep time :)
matsu

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hi guys
leading on from cwk thread-and training alone i am going to be spending a lot more time focused on my wing chun.
i am dropping my 3 mornings of gym and cardio for the next 8 weeks or so.
this means i will have 4 mornings per week where i get 45mins to practice.

how would you all set this out
do i concentrate on one aspect per 45min session ie
1. first form
2. second form
3. dummy work
4.kicking the 4x4 lump of wood
or shapes/structures for chi sau
etc
or do i mix up diff aspects within each session and do say 15mins of each.

any thoughts ideas etc so i can structure this, if i dont i think ill waste what is valuable sleep time :)
matsu

I would use the forms as a warm down. Work on striking without using too much movement (ie no big hip or shoulder movements). Then work on your footwork (shadow sparring, traditional arrow walk etc)

Have fun!!

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would use the forms as a warm down. Work on striking without using too much movement (ie no big hip or shoulder movements). Then work on your footwork (shadow sparring, traditional arrow walk etc)

Have fun!!

This is basically what I do most of the time but I add stance training, conditioning ( mainly for grip, hands and forearms) and drilling techniques and combos on the dummy. Don't think 45 minutes is enough for all that though Matsu.
Training with a partner is always going to be better than training alone but i think solo stuff has it's place. It gives you time to really analyze your footwork , hand techniques, etc.
I experiment a lot with different body movement for generating power in the various strikes of our system. Most of the time my findings are crap and I go back to the original way I was shown but every now and again i come across something that works better for me personally and it makes it all worth while.

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
ok i,m getting to the plan now
i figure its more beneficial to me to cover a few things more regularly in the 45min slot than work on just one thing for the duration only once per week.
and i have to write it down as a plan because the ocd side of me wants a disciplined schedule i can stick to so i get stuff done.

so i reckon it will look something a bit like this

first form- slow to warm up/hard and fast and then a random section to work on
second form - in sections-lots of turning

then a different area each day- from these
chain punches and shadow boxing
chi sau shapes -in front of the mirror
dummy form
kicking practice- 4x4 wood against the wall
combination work -done in shadow boxing mode.

i,m also trying to get my left bong/tan in chi sau stronger so i find i,m doing 5 mins here and there at work whenever i can -much to the teams amusement.
any further help advice or comments more than appreciated

matsu

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My suggestions would be similar to those here:

Shadowbox using basics to warm up.

drill combinations against attacks. Shadow boxing and shadow self defense.

Drill the same on a heavy bag.

Hit the wall bag.

Practice thy kicking.

Practice thy elusive footwork, and your trainwreck/kamikaze/blitzkrieg footwork... go through them like a frikin freight train.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of linear chain punching (they reflexively cover up... I've ended up hitting just arms...). I go for different targets (head, then body, then head again). But I do like to own the space and explode through them. They tend to fall down from the blow or the momentum.

30 minutes of that, and 15 minutes stretching and cooling down, maybe with some forms and you're done. That's sort of what I do.

When peoples are around, I use them for training drills. Best use of time is training drills with partners.

Hope that helps.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i,m also trying to get my left bong/tan in chi sau stronger

matsu

Stronger? Do you mean throuigh structure? You want your bong to be relaxed and 'uaseable' rather than stiff with hard energy. If someone grabs it and pulls it - let them have the arm and move in to close them down

If you want it strong throug structure, turn your arm out so that the palm of your hand faces your opponent. Doesnt matter how strong you are - this will improve the stability of your bong tenfold

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thaanks kamon.
i meant me be stronger in that side-as i tire or get pressured by my opponent it tends to drop too low and therefore compromises my defence. i tend to pull back on the taan.i am concentrating so much on the roll at the moment my defences ans even my attacks are pants- once i get my roll " stronger" then i can relax my emphasis on it and concentrate on the fun stuff.!!:whip1:

but thank you for th advice i will look at just that tomom wen i practice.

another thing i learnt last weds as my change on my left is clumsy. a good training partner told me to punch over the arm not huen sau. this forces me to have amuch more forward intention as i change and has helped a great deal- and thus i,m passing it on-if anyone else has that prob.

thank again KG- i,m still keeping that invite for the rpractice session. it will have to be in the new year!

matsu

hpclub1000

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One thing to bear in mind when trying to organise a training schedule is having it specific for your training needs. For example when working on your cardio is it necessary to do an hours training. How often do you see street fights for going on for an hour - probably never. Instead its probably more worthwhile doing 15 mins high intensity training. Although this is in relation to boxing its worth having a look at Ross Enamaits workouts which advocate shorter more intense sessions which are more reflective of the fitness required in combat. This way you can devote more time to your Wing Chun skill.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
thaanks kamon.
i meant me be stronger in that side-as i tire or get pressured by my opponent it tends to drop too low and therefore compromises my defence. i tend to pull back on the taan.i am concentrating so much on the roll at the moment my defences ans even my attacks are pants- once i get my roll " stronger" then i can relax my emphasis on it and concentrate on the fun stuff.!!:whip1:

but thank you for th advice i will look at just that tomom wen i practice.

another thing i learnt last weds as my change on my left is clumsy. a good training partner told me to punch over the arm not huen sau. this forces me to have amuch more forward intention as i change and has helped a great deal- and thus i,m passing it on-if anyone else has that prob.

thank again KG- i,m still keeping that invite for the rpractice session. it will have to be in the new year!

matsu

An excellent call by your partner, align with WC's economy of motion concept.