Traing Methods

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What types of routine training methods do you do everyday, that you beleive is best suited for actual Self Defense? What are the reasons behind these type of training and why do you feel it is the best for you?

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Besides formal technique practice, wich is the base we do a few things regularly and a coulpe others periodically.

1. Partner training that starts co operatively, but then resistence is added in stages, because yes, some techniques are to dangerous to use in full on sparring.

2. Immediate action drills- Whatever attack Uke wants to use, you have to react to it and score a kill, maim or control, again you use a sliding scale of force and resistence, but you can go pretty close to all out when you have competent higher ranks.

3. Scenario training- You have to act a little here. You play act muggings and other assults, between Sensei having been a cop and fimiliar with how attacks tend to go down and a few of us having the fortune or missfortune of being in or being present around some rough places, people and situations, we take this pretty close to real.
This way the emotional element is explored.

4- FIST SUIT TRAINNG- These things are great because you can hit full power to most of the body. You would be amazed how many times an elbow at full force, to a commited attacker acts like a throw/takedown.

A few of us take it a little farther, but I keep that group small for safety reasons, it's not part of Dojo membership.

Myself I also train FMA/IMA and do fullcontact stick and mock knife fighting, ala Dogg Brothers. (My teacher, Dave Wink was Eric Knauses training partner)

Some points I would like to make.
When training, uke needs to make the attacks realistic. Too many times I see people setting up like Jet Li before doing a knife attack, doing the thrust and standing there with their arm held out.
You need to keep it real, that does not mean you dead punch each other in the face all the timer, but if its a punch to the head, aim fdor the head like you were going to hit it.

I allways suggest to our students who have not seen much vilolence to research vilolence, via reading and watching prison docs (A good glimps into how people fight in prison, for keeps, these guys do get out and are the main enemy of civillized people) and youtube clips of fights, not just watching MMA.

Static training is good for learning a technique, but once you know the move, you need to do it moving, street assul;ts tend to happen at ramming speed, collisions are very common, so train accordingly.
That's my 2 cents.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
These days I do alot of physical conditioning and basic stance work, along with relaxation and footwork drills. I am trying to get back into shape following my surgery while improving my basic internal "flow."

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
kata training.. kata is where its at for basics and things.. supplemented by other things such as drills and some sparring at times...also some weight training, knuckle push ups and other calisthenics just to round things off.

Latest Discussions