Train how to deal with left/right hook punches

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have always believed that the left/right hook punches is very powerful. If you train MA, you should train how to deal with it. What kind of training do you do to deal with this kind of atack?

Reactions: JP3

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
My first suggestion would be don't fight someone that much faster, more powerful, more ferocious, tougher, and more skilled than you are...,

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My suggestion is don't get caught in the middle of the storm. The guy stood right between the two arms. In my opinion he shoulda ducked under one hook and moved to the outside.

You could tell right away he wasn't confident.

He could have also tried to stay away by circling, but instead he backed up and ran out of ring.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have always believed that the left/right hook punches is very powerful. If you train MA, you should train how to deal with it. What kind of training do you do to deal with this kind of atack?

I keep my arms straight in front front of. I make sure that I create maximum room to deal with hooks. This way I can block the hooks with either by ribs and organs or my head. I get a successful block Everytime.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My suggestion is don't get caught in the middle of the storm. The guy stood right between the two arms. In my opinion he shoulda ducked under one hook and moved to the outside.

You could tell right away he wasn't confident.

He could have also tried to stay away by circling, but instead he backed up and ran out of ring.
You can stand in the middle of the storm as long as your root is strong and the strikes ar falling on your guard and not your face or body.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You can stand in the middle of the storm as long as your root is strong and the strikes ar falling on your guard and not your face or body.
You're right this is what I meant by him not being confident, his hands were down etc etc.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You're right this is what I meant by him not being confident, his hands were down etc etc.
The OP's video was abuse. I really don't like videos like that because it's clear that one of the guys was more than out skilled. I wondered how the loser put himself in that situation.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Left and right hooks?

It was left hooks and straight rights....I think even a jab or two in there. lol. Basically everything hit him.

So what could he have done better.....not stand right in front of the guy and beat the guy's fists up with his head.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One solution for double hooks can be "separate hands".

You extend your

- left arm between your opponent's head and his right arm.
- right arm between your opponent's head and his left arm.

You separate both of his arms away from his head and body. IMO, to establish a "clinch" is a good solution. If you don't want your opponent's fists to punch to, you should disable his arms.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Having his hands up or his eyes open might of helped.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Same thing you do against any other strike. You get out of the way, or you take the shot where it hurts a bit less. However against hooks you specifically do NOT put up a frame in front of your face/try to long guard. That punch just loops right over and staggers you a good half second.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The OP's video was abuse. I really don't like videos like that because it's clear that one of the guys was more than out skilled. I wondered how the loser put himself in that situation.
I agree with this, they are two very unmatched opponents', as such is shows nothing much
except the best will win and one isn't very good ay all.

hook punches are usually powerful as they have travelled a long way and picked up a lot of speed. The upside is they have travelled a long way and you should be able to see them comming and either move in, which robs them of power and hit them with an elbow or move out of range . Or as its boxing put you glove on the way

standing there with your gloves down and your eyes closed whilst they hit you is probably the least effective strategy

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manage your distancing. With hook punches such as those in the linked video, inside or outside are both fine, depending on what other tools the opponent has. In the range of the fists is not wise.

As others mentioned, duck out, get your distance right. Or charge in, take the inside line, destroy the center. Big guys like me will try to go inside against anyone except another big guy. Smaller guys would be wise to range out, take an angle, attack from the outside.

That guy looked kind of fast. One tactic that can work against hook punches more directly is not to block or deflect, but to attack the opponent's arms. Hook comes in, uppercut his tricep hard, make him pay for it and render the arm useless. He throws the other hook, bring your elbow down from the sky onto his bicep. Follow up any such attacks with busting up the ribs, stomp the feet, knee the groin, etc. To take out hooks though, you have to have good timing and some speed, especially if the hooks are tight and fast and not looping overhands or haymakers.

nocturnal_

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There were opportunities for the other guy to kick the torso, groin or knee, but he didn't do it.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Footwork and head movement. Relying on hand techniques to stop hooks will get you knocked out eventually.

Latest Discussions