Train how to deal with left/right hook punches

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can stand in the middle of the storm as long as your root is strong and the strikes ar falling on your guard and not your face or body.
You could, but why would you want to? I mean, I could walk down the middle of the Interstate Highway because I don't want to get mud and grass on my new shoes, too... but it doesn't make it a good idea.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One solution for double hooks can be "separate hands".

You extend your

- left arm between your opponent's head and his right arm.
- right arm between your opponent's head and his left arm.

You separate both of his arms away from his head and body. IMO, to establish a "clinch" is a good solution. If you don't want your opponent's fists to punch to, you should disable his arms.

Interesting, and perhaps effective if you can get it sunk in. Personally, I prefer to take a leg out, which I've found very effective at stopping hooks from coming in, since it generally requires both legs to throw a good hook.s

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You could, but why would you want to? I mean, I could walk down the middle of the Interstate Highway because I don't want to get mud and grass on my new shoes, too... but it doesn't make it a good idea.
There are many benefits to doing so.
1. It allows defender to safely recover from an onslaught of punches. Many times people try to punch through a storm of punches and that's when they get knocked out.
2. It allows the defender to conserve energy while his opponent is quickly draining his through numerous punches.
3. The person throwing the storm of punches or attacks is only thinking about attacking. They aren't thinking about defense against counters. This gives the defender the best opportunity to counter.
4. The defender can analyze the punchers attack and pick up patterns and openings during the storm. A storm of punches or attacks will usually fall into a pattern or target one area. The defender should be able to pick this up.

To use your example of standing in the middle of traffic. Take a note of the video.
The people crossing are standing in the storm waiting for openings to go forward. Notice how they stop and advance through openings. Notice that they are doing many of the things I listed, especially analyzing the movement of the "storm" that they are in. This is same concept of standing in a storm of punches.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many benefits to doing so.
1. It allows defender to safely recover from an onslaught of punches. Many times people try to punch through a storm of punches and that's when they get knocked out.
2. It allows the defender to conserve energy while his opponent is quickly draining his through numerous punches.
3. The person throwing the storm of punches or attacks is only thinking about attacking. They aren't thinking about defense against counters. This gives the defender the best opportunity to counter.
4. The defender can analyze the punchers attack and pick up patterns and openings during the storm. A storm of punches or attacks will usually fall into a pattern or target one area. The defender should be able to pick this up.

To use your example of standing in the middle of traffic. Take a note of the video.
The people crossing are standing in the storm waiting for openings to go forward. Notice how they stop and advance through openings. Notice that they are doing many of the things I listed, especially analyzing the movement of the "storm" that they are in. This is same concept of standing in a storm of punches.
I am with you in that you "can" do it. Still a long way from it being "best."

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am with you in that you "can" do it. Still a long way from it being "best."
Oh it's not the "best" option. The best option would be not to get into a situation where punches and kicks are being thrown at the person. Punches and kicks take a toll, and if the attacker realizes what the defender is doing, then the attacker will start picking targets on the body instead of just doing a bunch of attacks. Sort of like when you boxers pound on an opponent then then all of a sudden they will pause and wait for the defender to take a peek.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm good then. I had thought you were deliberately putting people in the line of fire on purpose so as to develop openings. Rather, you're teaching them how to react if they find themselves in there. Unfortunate place to be, but there's a way out. Or through, sometimes.