Traditional TKD Belt Tying

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In most TKD dojangs we like to put nice rank stripes on our belts when we advance up the TKD ladder. So, the topic is does your dojang have rules on how you should tie your belt if you're a belt holder with rank stripes?

In my experience, your rank/dan stripes should always hang on the right side of your belt so that when you line up and you look to your left, the practitioner to your left should either be your same rank or a lower rank. The highest ranking belt should always be to the right when lining up.

It sounds just like the military for sure, but that's why it's a martial art.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know you are correct. The Dan and color belt rank stripes go on the right. Other stripes, forms, onesteps those type of non-rank stripes for color belts would go on the left. It probably matters of the rules set out by whatever org you fallow.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think its more of a tradition, but our rank stripes are on the right. When we line up its more of a short folks in the front/ tall folks in the back, kind of by rank method.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cali, I believe you are correct. Last Fearner added to a similar thread on the topic that reasoned why stripes are to be on the right.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't have stripes on our belts, but when I was a gueppie, we wore our stripes on the left.

For those groups who have stripes on their black belts, do your gueppies have stripes, and if so, are they on the same side as those on your black belts?

Miles

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our rank is on both ends of the belt - but some belts have names, and those go on the left, with the association name on the right.

Our gup stripes go on each end also, so there's no right or left issue.

Latest Discussions