Black belt ceremonies

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm always interested in things done at different dojangs. In the 3 schools where I've received BB rank, the belt has been tied on & they I shook hands & bowed to my instructor. But lately, I've been to some dojangs where they do some interesting things to comemorate the occasion.

1) A sister school of mine has the the master tie most of the belt on the new BB & then the other BB's get on either side of the belt, grab an end & PULL really tight. This is to welcome them to the rank & to illustrate that it doesn't (metaphorically) come off. My GM does this for master rank BB's.

2) I went to a TSD school that is heavily influenced by Japanese styles as well. The new BB is given a name is Japanese that represents their character (personality) & a ink stamp with that name written on it in Japanese. The new BB has a page in a book of BB's from that school that they write in wisdom for other BB's in the school.

3) I've heard of new BB's throwing their 1st gup belt over their shoulder upon receiving their new rank. I've heard of masters giving their belts to a new BB. I've heard of schools giving a new dobok (BB trim) when giving the belt.

What do you do to comemorate this ocassion for your new BB's?

Are these traditions that were passed down from your instructor?

If you don't do anything unique, why not?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I beleive in the way it was for me after the test the head instructor lets the student know if they passed or falls and then gives them there belt and a assistance instructor ties it aounf there waist and then bow everyone out and the next day show back up for training.

I have seen school wait a week and theb hold a cememony to the new BB's to me that is a show and that should not be part of traditional MA. I'am just old fashion that ways.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
The owner of our school ties a new black belt on us and we shake hands/hug all the black belts that are present.

Sometimes you get duck taped to a tree afterwards too....

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I beleive in the way it was for me after the test the head instructor lets the student know if they passed or falls and then gives them there belt and a assistance instructor ties it aounf there waist and then bow everyone out and the next day show back up for training.

I have seen school wait a week and theb hold a cememony to the new BB's to me that is a show and that should not be part of traditional MA. I'am just old fashion that ways.
That's how our school does it. For any black belt testing, the results are said right then, there's not waiting. Also, a new thing that is done now is that all the students will then shake hands with that student, after the testing is dismissed. Haha -- you can then tell them, "Well, the real training starts now."

Later, in about a week or so, the Master Instructor will tie the belt on and everyone claps.

Everyone knows that the new black belt student is still a new black belt student, there is so much practice to do yet. It is not the ending, everyone knows, so no one thinks they are too much of a big shot.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black belt testing is done annually, during a summer camp, by the association. Instructors are advised if their students passed, and each school may have its own local practice for awarding it. The association holds an induction ceremony every three years to recognize everyone promoted to 1st level or higher black belt, as well.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We don't do anything elaborate. In addition to being presented with the belt and certificate, the GM also gives us a glass building block etched with name, rank earned, and the date. I think the building blocks are pretty cool and fitting for the occasion.

During the presentation the instructor usually says a few words about the BB recipient; maybe about hurdles overcome or whatever.

The presentation is done the same day of the testing.

e ship yuk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The worst part of my black belt test was waiting - the testing board went to a separate conference room to go over all of the test candidates, and we stood out on the floor in ready position for about 45 minutes. About 20 minutes in, a 5th dan candidate led us through basic forms just to relieve our feet.

When the panel came back down, announcements were made about how well the test had gone, etc; during this period, a couple of the instructors from the panel approached students and spoke briefly to them - these were the ones that did not pass, though we didn't know it at the time.

Names were called, and you would receive your belt from your instructor on the panel, and certificate from the head of our organization as your proceeded down the row of instructors shaking hands.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For the actual black belt test, all students who tested line up, and each black belt tester goes before the judges. Our Grandmaster then reads the scores and tells them pass or no pass.
However, at our organization testing (which is largely ceremonial), we have several tables set up and each Master who had students test stands behind the tables with their students in front of them single file. They then give each student their certificate and new belt.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
During the course of our BB tests, it is extremely common (as it is done on purpose) to have your dobok ripped completely to shreds by the other blackbelts. Pushups and situps (100 & 200) are done outside in the mud. All the Hapkido rolls, throws and such are done out in the concrete parking lot. When you get your new belt at the end, you get a new all black dobok as well. I have to say, there is quite a bit of 'hazing the freshmen' type shenanigans at these tests, and it does make the new BBs feel like they have arrived, and passed over a fair milestone. The tests start at 4:30AM, and generally end up around 3PM, so they aren't short tests.

At the first night of classes after the test, the new BB's come to all the colored belt classes in their new doboks and belts, and proudly display the old doboks they tested in, which are often bloody, mud covered and torn to bits. The faces on the little kids at these displays are priceless :lol: A little question and answer for the kids (without giving away too many of the 'secrets' of the test), and it's back to the usual grind. (Most don't wear the black doboks again, for whatever reasons, though the pants may make the occasional appearance in class ;) )

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have a big annual Black Belt test, and when the time comes the Master ties the belt on each student individually. When the belt is tied on he says, Congratulations on achieving 1st degree black belt Mr. (and then full name). We have a seperate test for kids and adults (kids know the same material as adults but their physical abilities aren't the same of course). At the kids test each child gets a red rose which they hand to their mother and thank their parents for supporting them through their color belts years and for allowing them to take martial arts. And then the parents each say something special about their child (how they have seen the child grow and how proud they are of them, etc). For the adult test the same thing is done, but the husband or wife or sometimes parents or best friend (someone!) will say similar words for the adult who just tested. This part is always really emotional and one of my favorite parts of the test.

After the test we all eat (our instructor pays for catered food for everyone) and that gives everyone a chance to say congrats and have some fun relaxation before going home (the new black belts never eat much though!)

Silv3r

White Belt
Reaction score
i don't know what my school does. you are not allowed to see the test until you are at least a red belt. :wah:

i do know that they find out right away if they passed or not. and then they take a picture :boing2:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Belts are frequently (but not always) awarded at the conclusion of the testing. I follow my instructor's tradition of tying belts on my students when they are promoted. Certificates are generally awarded at the next event (testing, tournament, seminar) that the student attends.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Different system and tradition, but the way it works here is pretty simple. I quote pretty much verbatim from the last time: "So-and-so has been with me for a long time. He understands the basic principles and can use them. I'm making him an instructor in xyzzy."

dleeret

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My school is owned by a husband/wife team and recently their son joined them. They are all 5th Degree belts and they conduct the 1st-3rd don tests. During belt presentation, the husband ties the new belt on his waist, removes it and hands it to his wife while bowing. She ties the belt to her waist, removes it and hands it to her son while bowing. The son repeats and hands the belt to the student who ties the belt him/herself. This is supposed to represent passing knowledge on the the new blackbelt.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do a formal ceremony after the testing and award the belt. The official rank certificate will usually arrive about a week later, and we make a big deal out of its presentation as well.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't teach TKD but the dojang I attended it depended on what level of promotions there were. I have multiple black belts in various styles so I was sitting on TKD promotion boards from 8th gup on, albeit wearing my other uniforms at my instructor's request.

For my brother's black belt promotion I was on the board and when it came time to tie on the newly promoted black belts, he tied everyone's belt personally except my brothers. He called me up and had me tie it on as a recognition of the special bond my brother and I have.

For every promotion though, there was always good food bbq'ed and served afterwards. :)

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You mean because you had black belts in other styles you were allowed to sit on a Taekwondo testing board? I would never agree with that.
Those who judge on a black belt testing are to be certified as Taekwondo 4th dan or above (KKW rules). The fact that you may have a black belt in another style would be completely irrelevant.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought I'd bump this thread since there are so many new folks since this was first discussed. Since I wrote the OP, I've seen many more ceremonies where black belts are awarded. Some, to my eye as an outsider to that dojang, really nice & meaningful. And some that were down right odd.

How is the BB awarded at your dojang?

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We do. 2 hour exam and my blackbelts/testing board meets in another room for about ten minutes to discuss the exam. I then let the students know how they did and tie the belts on personally, no waiting. I give them a bb dobok and they have to wait about 4-6 weeks for kkw certs.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you do to comemorate this ocassion for your new BB's?

No. I just hand them their new belt with a hand shake. When the certificate comes, I just hand them the certificate.

Are these traditions that were passed down from your instructor?

Sort of. Most of my instructors were generally low key about promotions. It wasn't a big deal.

If you don't do anything unique, why not?

I don't think it adds anything to make a big ceremony out of it. I also don't want students thinking that getting promoted is some sort of big deal, because it might warp their perceptions later.

Latest Discussions