Traditional martial arts

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Traditional Martial Arts in my opinion are they original Known MA's
there are alot of people from styles I have never heard of on this forum claiming to be traditionalists.

My question's are :

1. are you a traditionalist? if so of what style?
2. What is your defination of a traditional style?

M

MartialArtist

I am a traditionalist.

Traditional - Old with a lot of history behind it... How you train really isn't the indicator on whether it's traditional... Boxing, TKD, jujitsu, muay thai, etc.

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by DAC..florida
Traditional Martial Arts in my opinion are they original Known MA's
there are alot of people from styles I have never heard of on this forum claiming to be traditionalists.

My question's are :

1. are you a traditionalist? if so of what style?
2. What is your defination of a traditional style?
What do you mean original?

I consider judo to be traditional, and it comes from jujitsu, which from my knowledge, really wasn't an art in its beginning, merely a term?

S

SteelShadow

Im not a tradional stylist but I do hold alot of the tradional Values.

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Martialartist,

your right judo is an off shoot of ju jitsu that is now considered by many to be a traditional style of martial arts.

I guess the question that I'm asking is what makes a style a traditional style in my opinion there is only a few original styles and everything after that is an off shoot, no one has reinvented the wheel just added to it?

Steelshadow,
In my opinion traditional values are important and should be aplicated in all dojo's, but what "traditional values" are you speaking Chinease, Japanese, korean or middle eastern ect.
Do your "traditional values" fit your style, or are you studying a korean style with Japanese based values ect.
:asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martialartist,

your right judo is an off shoot of ju jitsu that is now considered by many to be a traditional style of martial arts.

I guess the question that I'm asking is what makes a style a traditional style in my opinion there is only a few original styles and everything after that is an off shoot, no one has reinvented the wheel just added to it?

Steelshadow,
In my opinion traditional values are important and should be aplicated in all dojo's, but what "traditional values" are you speaking Chinease, Japanese, korean or middle eastern ect.
Do your "traditional values" fit your style, or are you studying a korean style with Japanese based values ect.

Technically by your analagy there no traditional styles because all styles today come from someone elses style. In your words off shoots.

And since there must be a standard definition of "traditional styles" that is being used by the traditional martial art world, it would be safe to say that you are wrong, "by their definition".:D

I may stand to be corrected but I don't think that there are any "original styles" in existance. Just using the name does not make it "original.":D

So my friend there really is no such thing as traditional styles, just traditional individual intangibles like morals, ethics, codes of honor, methods of practicing etc, but NOTHING traditional as a whole as far as "ORIGINALITY!" .:asian:

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
Technically by your analagy there no traditional styles because all styles today come from someone elses style. In your words off shoots.

And since there must be a standard definition of "traditional styles" that is being used by the traditional martial art world, it would be safe to say that you are wrong, "by their definition".:D

I may stand to be corrected but I don't think that there are any "original styles" in existance. Just using the name does not make it "original.":D

So my friend there really is no such thing as traditional styles, just traditional individual intangibles like morals, ethics, codes of honor, methods of practicing etc, but NOTHING traditional as a whole as far as "ORIGINALITY!" .:asian:

WOW,

I couldnt have said it better myself!

The question that I would like to know is why do people call themselfs traditionalists and what sets them aside from others?

S

SRyuFighter

WOW,

I couldnt have said it better myself!

The question that I would like to know is why do people call themselfs traditionalists and what sets them aside from others?

I think that most traditionalists believe that they are traditional because of codes of conduct, ethics, and that they practice a martial art that has been around for a very long time. SUch as Karate.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by akja

For this reason, I try to avoid using the word "traditional" at all when describing a martial art.

M

MartialArtist

The only key difference between traditionalists and the rest is morals, ethics, honor, a set of strict rules and regulations, and the unity of body and mind. The body can't perform at its best without the mind. Mind control, meditation, etc.

Meditation works for some people, others claim it doesn't do anything... It's just sitting around, doing nothing. One thing is that they are probably doing it wrong. Like a religious prayer, there are certain ways to do it right. In Christianity, there is kinda a way for prayer and there are guidelines such as forgiving and asking for forgiveness, etc. Meditation is the same way, only that it isn't religious or spiritual like many people make it out to be. That's just my opinion.

For instance, wrestling and boxing back then wasn't something to be considered lightly. Same with Eastern MA. Honor, principles, etc. were all placed on the combative arts. Judo, although isn't something entirely new (I really don't consider anything to be revolutionary in terms of technique), did have its unique philosophy.

R

RyuShiKan

Modern:
After 1945, emphasis was placed on karate as a sport; hence, Modern karate was developed. This is seen in many eclectic styles that develop new techniques only for use in sport.

Traditional:
Traditional Karate developed after the Meiji Restoration of 1868. A shift from the warrior philosophy was dictated by the Japanese government; therefore, emphasis was placed upon the spiritual and physical development gained by practicing the way of karate rather than actual life and death applications.

Classical:
Classical Karate developed before 1868, and uses actual fighting philosophy developed by the warrior class. Classical Karate is real karate technique used to stop opponents in actual life and death situations, not the controlled conditions of tournament play.

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
Modern:
After 1945, emphasis was placed on karate as a sport; hence, Modern karate was developed. This is seen in many eclectic styles that develop new techniques only for use in sport.

Traditional:
Traditional Karate developed after the Meiji Restoration of 1868. A shift from the warrior philosophy was dictated by the Japanese government; therefore, emphasis was placed upon the spiritual and physical development gained by practicing the way of karate rather than actual life and death applications.

Classical:
Classical Karate developed before 1868, and uses actual fighting philosophy developed by the warrior class. Classical Karate is real karate technique used to stop opponents in actual life and death situations, not the controlled conditions of tournament play.

Thank you thats the answer that I was looking for, I appreciate your input here. :asian:

R

RyuShiKan

That was actually taken from one of my seniors’ book on the art we practice.
It is what my teacher believes (as well as me) to be true,

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That was actually taken from one of my seniors’ book on the art we practice.
It is what my teacher believes (as well as me) to be true,

I agree with you 100% here and appreciate this info..:asian:

M

MartialArtsGuy

Some people catagorize certain styles as being traditional by what training methods are used to teach people within the style. I think the more sport focused MMA people tend to lean more in this direction. But there are others as well who feel this is one characteristic of a traditional martial art.

All martial arts have some things in common. One of those things is that we all move our bodies in an attempt to defend ourselves, or while learning how to in class. There are alot of styles, so i would guess that different styles reflect a different outlooks from a particular school of thought, rather than each style representing a new physical approach. We only have 2 arms 2 legs, 1 head no matter what style you come from. I know there are differences from person to person, and these differences should be considered while training, but when it comes down to it we are simmilar. I feel that style can reflect the technique one uses while executing a certain move.

Generally, I think people can have varying views on what a traditional style is.

I do feel there are a few other characteristics that make up a "traditional" style. Some have been mentioned, but i dont care to speculate on the rest. Besides, I found that a mix of a few different systems is what works best for me, with my base being in self defense oriented kickboxing. My 2 cents.
:D

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ben22
Some people catagorize certain styles as being traditional by what training methods are used to teach people within the style. I think the more sport focused MMA people tend to lean more in this direction. But there are others as well who feel this is one characteristic of a traditional martial art.

All martial arts have some things in common. One of those things is that we all move our bodies in an attempt to defend ourselves, or while learning how to in class. There are alot of styles, so i would guess that different styles reflect a different outlooks from a particular school of thought, rather than each style representing a new physical approach. We only have 2 arms 2 legs, 1 head no matter what style you come from. I know there are differences from person to person, and these differences should be considered while training, but when it comes down to it we are simmilar. I feel that style can reflect the technique one uses while executing a certain move.

Generally, I think people can have varying views on what a traditional style is.

I do feel there are a few other characteristics that make up a "traditional" style. Some have been mentioned, but i dont care to speculate on the rest. Besides, I found that a mix of a few different systems is what works best for me, with my base being in self defense oriented kickboxing. My 2 cents.
:D

I read through most of that think that was something that could of come out of my mouth!;)

What people seem to tell me ( if were to be the one that said that) is "it's nothing new, no need for it!"

In other words go to the same schools as everyone else, no need for anymore. I am not everyone else and I understand the differant outlooks from differant schools of thought, I am one of them!D

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This thread is turning out better than what I even imagined I can now at the word traditionalist under a whole new light.

great info.. keep it coming:asian:

A

A.R.K.

It would be very interesting to know what the original art/style/system was, who 'founded' it and the extent to which it was originally used. I've heard different theories, and have my own.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Traditional:

Classical:

Just wondering, would this, then define the difference between KARATE-DO and KARATE-JUTSU ?

This is kind of how I understand the different terms.
--Dave

Latest Discussions