Toyama-Ryu Iai-Jutsu

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello Goju Bujin,

I Train and teach Toyama Ryu and Shinkendo with Kaiso Obata Toshishiro. Toyama Ryu is considered as Gaiden Waza (borrowed techniqes) and taught as part of the Shinkendo curriculum. It is broken down into four parts:

1- Gunto Soho
2- Toyama Ryu Battojutsu
3- Toyama Ryu Battodo/Iaido
4- Toyama Ryu Jokyu(created by Mr. Obata)

Respectfully,

:asian:

OP
K

Kiz Bell

I've done a little Toyama. I quite liked it, as you say, a very neat style. I've moved since and no-one where I live now teaches it, so I've had to move on to something else.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenmpoka
1- Gunto Soho
2- Toyama Ryu Battojutsu
3- Toyama Ryu Battodo/Iaido
4- Toyama Ryu Jokyu(created by Mr. Obata)

Can you explain these terms for us?

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kizbell,

International Shinkendo Federation has affiliates/members in Australia. Most instructors are authorized to teach Toyama Ryu as well. For a school near you check out the dojo directory at:www.Shinkendo .com

OP
K

Kiz Bell

Hi Kenmpoka,

When I learnt Toyama it was just straight Toyama-ryu Battojutsu. It was not broken down into any parts, just taught as a ryu like any other.

What happens in Jokyu? How is it different from normal Toyama-ryu? What does it comprise of? I'm only asking 'cause I've never seen Toyama as part of the Shinkendo system, only taught as a ryu on it's own. I know it's done, I've just never seen it, that's all.
Thank you in advance,

Kiz

OP
K

Kiz Bell

International Shinkendo Federation has affiliates/members in Australia. Most instructors are authorized to teach Toyama Ryu as well. For a school near you check out the dojo directory at:www.Shinkendo .com

Thankyou for this, but I have already checked. Unfortunately, there are no qualified teachers of Toyama or Shinkendo even within an unreasonably long drive from where I live. Information from the official Shinkendo orginisation of Australia (sorry, I forget what they are called).

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Can you explain these terms for us?
Toyama Ryu, originally was a sub-system of sword drawing techniques created for the officers of the Japanese Imperial Army. Later on standardized (1925) and taught as a seperate RyuHa. These seven standardized (seitei) forms evolved over the years.Three major lineage of Toyama Ryu (Gunto Soho- Way of the military sword) were taught independently; Morinaga style, Yamaguchi style and Nakamura style. Nakamura Taizaburo was one of Obata Kaiso's main sword instructors.The original seven kata were called Gunto Soho. They contained small number of diagonal cuts (Kesa/naname giri) and longer enbusen. An eight kata was added to Toyama ryu Battojutsu (drawing techniques) plus more diagonal cuts. The name Battodo was adapted later and the number of steps were reduced in the Battodo kata. The name changes had some political reasons as well. Toyama Ryu Jokyu (advanced) kata were created by Obata sensei, and contain principles of "makuri"(ex.continuous diagonal cuts), Kaeshi (cutting in opposite direcion), and nagashi(flowing from one type of cut to another without stopping).

Please feel free to ask any other questions.

Respectfully,

Latest Discussions