San Antonio Antique Japanese Sword And Art Show

K

Kirk

May 23rd, 24th, 25th, 2003
Hosted by: Micheal Quigley

204 Alamo Plaza (next door to the Alamo)
San Antonio, TX 78205

Show Hours:

Friday: 2pm - 8pm
Saturday: 9am - 2pm
Sunday: 2pm - 8pm

Table Reservations & Show Information:

Michael A. Quigley
(210) 545-1673 or (210) 710-6807

[email protected]

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There will also be a sword oriented martial arts embu on that Saturday. Not sure who all is coming, but I know that John Ray is bringing a number of his Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu students down for it, myself included. If this year's embu is anything like the embu of a couple of years ago, this will be really something special in this part of te country.

OP
C

carl mcclafferty

Charles:

See you there. Dr. Mirro asked about me returning, said yes,
but haven't heard much more hmmm. Will have to write the Ladysamurai.

Carl McClafferty

See you and the Denton crew there.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here'se the detail on this event recently posted on Swordforum:

The 2003 San Antonio Japanese Sword and Art Show/Sale
I'd like to remind everyone that the show will be May 23-25--that's Friday through Sunday of the Memorial Day weekend.

This show features Japanese sword and art dealers from all over the U.S. selling antique blades, fittings, armor and related items. There will also be dealers with high quality martial arts clothing and equipment--past dealers have included Swordstore.com and BujinDesign. Bugei has already signed up for their tables this year.

In addition to the dealers' room, there will be displays of Bonsai, Ikebana and other Japanese arts. And on Saturday, there will be hours and hours of martial arts demonstrations featuring traditional Iaido, Iaijutsu, Kenjutsu, Tameshigiri, Aikido and other styles. I am the coordinator for this part of the show, and I am currently working on the times and lineup. Previous years' participants have included Dallas Kendo, River City Iaido, Rick Polland, Carl McClafferty, Damir Jamsek, Dave Drawdy, Daryl Craig, Kent Sugai, Bob Lange, Michael Fowler, David Ham, John Bollinger, Russell McCartney, John Ray, Scott Irey, Emily Egan and their students, many of whom have agreed to return this year. Also, I am happy to say that Tony Alvarez, James Williams and Paul Smith are among the 14 groups and individuals which have graciously agreed to provide demos this year. This will make for around seven hours of ooohing and aaahing. I will post this when it is finalized.

It all takes place at the 5-star Menger Hotel, 204 Alamo Plaza (next door to the Alamo), San Antonio, Texas, 78205. There will be a special room rate for participants of $109 per night good for May 21-27 if you make your reservations by April 22. Call 1-800-345-9285 for reservations. General hotel phone number is 210-223-4361 or fax 210-228-0022 .

The show hours run 2-8pm Friday, 8am-8pm Saturday and 9am-3pm Sunday. General admission is $5 per day. Early bird admission lets you in with the dealers at 10am Friday and is good all 3 days--that costs $30.

Tables are available for dealers for $125 in advance, $150 at the door. One person per table is allowed in on this price. For table reservations, call Mike at 210-545-1673 or 210-710-6807. He's pretty good at returning show-related messages if you keep it brief and say your phone number clearly.

If you have any questions about the demos for me, you can drop me a line at [email protected]. Please be aware that this is a goodwill demo made up of folks who have worked with Mike for many years before I came on the scene as well as those people I have been fortunate enough to meet through my own sword practice. The demos are intended to provide an opportunity to see and appreciate what your fellow artists are doing, as well as to give the general public an exposure to those of us involved in these arts.

I expect every participant to conduct him/herself in a friendly and non-egotistical manner--these are the ones that get invited back year after year. After all, if the public perceives us as approachable, highly disciplined and community-minded, they are less likely to develop apprehension that can lead to legislation limiting our practice. Remember--the very word "samurai" means "one who serves." Let's put that aspect of our training foremost and strive to be assets (instead of asses!) in our repective communities.

I have it on pretty good authority that Swordstore.com and Rick Polland will probably not make it this year. At least, that's what he told me via e-mail. He could still put in an appearance yet. I'm still hoping as I need to purchase one of his swords.

This is worth flying in for even if you just wish to watch the embu. It is a very rare gathering of a great many different sword styles.

Latest Discussions