Tournaments

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you compete what is the most events you will do in a year?

How many believe events are only for adults?

How many believe this is a greta tool for building childern self esteem?

How many beleive they are worthless?

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score

My current Association does not hold many tournaments, maybe 3 a year 4 tops. We do patters, breaking, sparring, and creative. I try and compete in all the events except creative, I've never been a fan of it. Because of my required lay off most likely I'm just going to be doing breaking for awhile.

Some events I think should have an age requirement. Mostly breaking.

How many believe this is a great tool for building children self esteem?

To a point yes, I like the ATA attitude of "Every kid is special" and "Every kid is a winner"

How many believe they are worthless?

Not at all. They are not required(I hope) so you are there if you want to be. It's all by choice.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Tournaments help with the fear factors and help build some adrenaline responses......one has to learn to control those factors..

JUST that: Point sparring teaches CAN BE A BAD HABIT....Because you will fight the way you train.....and if you tag someone on the mat! ...it is NOT the same on the "STREETS".....

Tagging is just a GAME.....Real fighting if full contact....NO one fights like tournaments on the streets....which is contiunious....NON-stopping..anything goes...

I read someone where it takes a few weeks to months to get the "TAG" system of fighting out of the natural reflexes of fighting back!

Tournaments help builds confidence in one sense....teaches bad habits of fighting back!

Aloha ( Bad habits can get you hurt) tournaments style of fighting can create bad habits.....(full contact is other world here)

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score

My organization holds one tournament a year.

I think these are great for kids and adults alike

How many believe this is a great tool for building children self esteem?

To me (an outside observer with no kids) it seems to be a great tool. More than half of the kids class at my dojo placed in the last tournament and the weeks afterwards they seemed to be training at the full potential.

Not me.

B

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

All of our students compete in tournaments our school hosts which is either 1 or 2 a year. In this tournament everyone gets a medal (we do divisions of 4, and give out two bronzes).
Students who are on our tournament team last year went to 2 additional tournaments, but it was our first year doing this so that number will go up this year.

Not I, in fact I tend to think that kids enjoy them more than adults.

How many believe this is a greta tool for building childern self esteem?

I think this is true to an extent. Of course a kid feels good if they win, but should also feel good if they did their own personal best (our job as the coach to stress this part). The hardest part of tournament participation is when you have to deal with biased judging or even when your kid doesn't understand why Johnny placed higher than them (and maybe you don't understand either). Sometimes it is hard for a kid to bounce back after feeling like they were robbed (regardless of if they actually were or not) or if a kid gets beat really bad and feels embarrassed that they let themselves/their team/you down (I HATE that one!). Tournament participation can be a great thing, but it can also really backfire. This is why we only take kids that are really "hard core" about competing and who (we hope) won't be discouraged by an occasional bad time.

nope, but I think they have to be one part of a balanced martial art training. Not the be all end all.