Taking my first belt test tonight

yumiko14

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, tonight I'm testing for yellow belt. I'm really excited, but at the same time really nervous. I know I know everything I need to know, I just hope I don't forget it. I don't know how I'll do when my sensei is watching, as well as all of the other students. Well anyway, wish me luck..

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sir I will tell you the same thing I have been saying for over twenty five years, relax and have fun and everything will be fine. Your training will kick in and remember your sensei would not test you if you was not ready.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir I will tell you the same thing I have been saying for over twenty five years, relax and have fun and everything will be fine. Your training will kick in and remember your sensei would not test you if you was not ready.
RIGHT!

Just, when your name is called, YELL "Yes Sir!" (or whatever is customary at your school), and then run up to the area to test!

Johnny on the spot!

And then do the motions with meaning! You will then enjoy a good test! I hope that you tell us how it goes! Don't worry about it, the training has passed now. Now is testing!

Regards,

Robert

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Best of luck to you! Take a few deep breathes, answer loud, and do your best. You'll be fine. Let us know how it goes!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RIGHT!

Just, when your name is called, YELL "Yes Sir!" (or whatever is customary at your school), and then run up to the area to test!

Johnny on the spot!

And then do the motions with meaning! You will then enjoy a good test! I hope that you tell us how it goes! Don't worry about it, the training has passed now. Now is testing!

Regards,

Robert

Great advice!!
Good luck, let us know how it goes- we'll want all the juicy details!

OP
Y

yumiko14

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It went well and I got my yellow belt. Of course, last night we had the biggest class we've had in the past few months...just my luck. haha.
Oh, and by the way, I'm a woman, not a man. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It went well and I got my yellow belt. Of course, last night we had the biggest class we've had in the past few months...just my luck. haha.
Oh, and by the way, I'm a woman, not a man. :)

Well my lady well done and congrats

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many congratulations, milady :rei:.

It's all too late now (curse time differences and working for a living) but the key to taking tests is not to consider them as tests. As Terry very wisely said above, you wouldn't be going into the assessment if your sensei didn't already think you were ready. It's one of the beauties of martial arts that, unlike most things, if you're testing then you're considered good enough to pass - our sensei wouldn't waste both their time and ours if it wasn't so.

So, you've seen the elephant now; next time will be easier. The time it changes is if you know you're up for your first degree black belt. For some reason, probably because it is the sign that you've matured from basics to really learning, that's more nerve wracking.

I have to say that my shodan wasn't a test of nerve because admin changes had meant that I was delayed for about a year so I was very well prepared - that was right up until the point that sensei pulled me out of line and had me go and teach whilst he got on with the seminar :eek:. I loved it but I was quaking inside all the while :D.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Something to remember for the future: as an instructor, I won't let a student test if the student can't pass. That is by no means saying that if I clear a student to test, they are guaranteed to pass - just that they are able to pass; then they have to get up at testing and prove that they already are the next rank. If they do that successfully, then they pass.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Something to remember for the future: as an instructor, I won't let a student test if the student can't pass. That is by no means saying that if I clear a student to test, they are guaranteed to pass - just that they are able to pass; then they have to get up at testing and prove that they already are the next rank. If they do that successfully, then they pass.

That's an awesome philosophy - i know my instructor is the same and it fills me with confidence when he allows me to be tested...i know i'm capable and as long as i put in 100% i'll be fine.

AND CONGRATULATIONS >>>> Now get back on the mats....you got another belt to work toward....lol

Latest Discussions