Supplement training

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What other type of training do you do to supplement your Martial Art training and how has this helpyou with everything?

Me a ride a bike in the AM, for running just tears uo my knee's. I also like to kick while I'm in the pool it help me with power for my kicks.

I will also go and do some kind of lifting but not that much now a days.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lifting is good...I alternate it.. High reps low weights and then low reps and heavy weights..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lifting weights at least 3 times a week, as well as cardio. Having an increase in strength is certainly a plus for the Martial Arts, and the cardio is always an extra benefit, so you don't run out of gas. :)

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Because of my ankle issues I've been using a stationary bike and light swimming. When I was running I was using strap on weights on my legs. I also alternate push ups and sit ups in massive numbers.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Push up, sit ups, dips, stationary bike and Qigong

I do stance training as well but then that is, at least iin my case with CMA, martial arts training.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Running, Swimming, push ups, sit ups.....Every once in a while some lifting, but right now, I'm lucky to get in a work out at all!

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lifting- weightlifting for strength, and powerlifting for power.
Running- I cycle this, I'll go through stages with a lot, then stages with very little running sessions. I gotta agree with Terry though, my knees aren't that good, and running brings out the worst!!!

I'm thinking of using a rowing machine to mix up the cardio a little bit. Anybody else had experience with it?

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When I am not training for a tournament I see my strength and conditioning coach three times a week. Usually one day is general conditioning (prowler, side to side box, bike, all kinds of dreaded tabata stuff) and then we will work weights the other days. When I am gearing up for competition that goes to 4 or 5 days and we work a lot more sport specific exercises for explosiveness, grip and making sure my knees are in great shape.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to jump rope. Actually I hate it....but I have found it great for cardio.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to ask, hows it work for you? I'm looking for something new to mix into my rotation

Hehe, I love it. Now, I'm not really "in the scene" of yoga. I do not do any pranayama or study any Vedic scriptures. I simply do the static poses, and a small number of them.

If practiced regularly, they seem to give me quite a boost. The keyword is regularly, though. If you are interested in trying it, I would suggest downloading the free (registration required -- but I've never been spammed by these folks) pdf from this page:

http://www.combat-tkd.com/Ctkd1/home.php

Just click on the link labeled "DOWNLOAD FREE TRIAL ISSUE" at the bottom of the page. It has a good, well balanced series of poses.

NOTE: I take my time on the first one, the Sun Salutation. No need to hurry.

Namaste!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lifting weights
Running
Cycling classes
Yoga
Kickboxing classes(cardio-style)

I do these in addition to my martial training. Most of the classes mentioned are ones that I teach. I am a group fitness instructor and personal trainer, so it makes it easy to be involved with those activities.

Latest Discussions