I went on a scooter ride this weekend

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had to give up my motorcycle a year ago - heart meds messing with my balance. But I found I was still able to ride a scooter - the center of gravity is lower and doesn't bother me as much.

So Sunday I went on a group ride with the "Michigan Scooter Geeks." It wasn't easy physically or mentally - I left my house at 7:30 AM and didn't get home until 3 PM, mostly time spent in the saddle. My therapist thought it would be good for me. She's probably right. Anyway, I'm in here a couple places.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I had to give up my motorcycle a year ago - heart meds messing with my balance. But I found I was still able to ride a scooter - the center of gravity is lower and doesn't bother me as much.

So Sunday I went on a group ride with the "Michigan Scooter Geeks." It wasn't easy physically or mentally - I left my house at 7:30 AM and didn't get home until 3 PM, mostly time spent in the saddle. My therapist thought it would be good for me. She's probably right. Anyway, I'm in here a couple places.

I love those scooters. Looks like fun. I hope you had a good time, in spite of the mental and physical challenges.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I regularly have wonderful dreams about riding motorcycles at high speed on deserted roads. But I’m too scared to try it having worked in A&E!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I look at it this way. If there's something you can enjoy in life then take time to enjoy it

Sometimes we just need to step out of our box and enjoy new things. Otherwise the world will pass us by.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I regularly have wonderful dreams about riding motorcycles at high speed on deserted roads. But I’m too scared to try it having worked in A&E!
I borrowed my former brother-in-law's Yamaha XS1100 once upon a time and let it run on a deserted road in the Mojave desert near Twentynine Palms, CA. At 140 MPH, I realized that if I came off the bike at that speed, I'd just be dead. Nothing could save me, no helmet, no protective gear. That was the first and last time.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I regularly read the news of local bikers killed by cars pulling out in front of them or turning left in front of them. It's so common that there are lawyers who specialize in 'left turn cage driver' lawsuits. I've locked eyes with people who then turned directly in front of me; they just do not see motorcycles. They 'see' us, but it doesn't register.

But the DMV urges motorcycles to be 'be more careful'.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I borrowed my former brother-in-law's Yamaha XS1100 once upon a time and let it run on a deserted road in the Mojave desert near Twentynine Palms, CA. At 140 MPH, I realized that if I came off the bike at that speed, I'd just be dead. Nothing could save me, no helmet, no protective gear. That was the first and last time.
I’m sure your skull is stronger than any helmet!😉
Oh, and for what it's worth, I regularly read the news of local bikers killed by cars pulling out in front of them or turning left in front of them. It's so common that there are lawyers who specialize in 'left turn cage driver' lawsuits. I've locked eyes with people who then turned directly in front of me; they just do not see motorcycles. They 'see' us, but it doesn't register.

Yes it’s usually cars that kill bikers, that’s why cars should only be allowed out on the road during the day and bikers at night.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m sure your skull is stronger than any helmet!😉

Yes it’s usually cars that kill bikers, that’s why cars should only be allowed out on the road during the day and bikers at night.
I read one study that suggested that it's not just that the motorcycle presents a smaller profile and is harder to see, but that people instinctively pay closer attention to stuff that they perceive to be threatening and dangerous. So drivers typically don't pay as close attention to bikes and motorcycles as they would to an oncoming semi.

I'm kinda backwards that way. I typically pay attention to bikes, but many years ago I did turn right in front of an oncoming truck pulling a back-hoe on a trailer. It hit me broadside and about knocked me and my little '81 Toyota 4X4 pick-up into orbit. Fortunately I was tightly belted in and, because my 4x4 rode high, the bottom edge of the of the truck that hit me just caught on my vehicle's frame bending it into a big U. Otherwise, the cops and firemen told me that it would have crushed the cab (and me) flat like a can.

As it was, I walked away with nothing more than seriously bruised ribs. Or maybe cracked. Man, for a couple of weeks whenever I sneezed it hurt sooo bad I thought I'd pass out!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

When I was in high school, I was sitting a bus stop and witnessed a gnarly accident. A guy was going about 40mph on a motorcycle and hit a car that pulled out to take a free right turn on red. It was at the corner of 15th and 80th in NE Seattle. He flew/rolled all the way into the next intersection (Lake City Way) and got run over. I don’t know what happened to that guy, but I am pretty sure his life was never the same.

This also reminds me of Summer in Germany. All the airmen would buy a shiny new motorcycle at the beginning of the Summer, and by the end they were all pretty much trashed due to accidents small and large.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read one study that suggested that it's not just that the motorcycle presents a smaller profile and is harder to see, but that people instinctively pay closer attention to stuff that they perceive to be threatening and dangerous. So drivers typically don't pay as close attention to bikes and motorcycles as they would to an oncoming semi.

I'm kinda backwards that way. I typically pay attention to bikes, but many years ago I did turn right in front of an oncoming truck pulling a back-hoe on a trailer. It hit me broadside and about knocked me and my little '81 Toyota 4X4 pick-up into orbit. Fortunately I was tightly belted in and, because my 4x4 rode high, the bottom edge of the of the truck that hit me just caught on my vehicle's frame bending it into a big U. Otherwise, the cops and firemen told me that it would have crushed the cab (and me) flat like a can.

As it was, I walked away with nothing more than seriously bruised ribs. Or maybe cracked. Man, for a couple of weeks whenever I sneezed it hurt sooo bad I thought I'd pass out!
You we’re very lucky. I carefully look out for bikes too as many of my friends are bikers!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Had a few motorcycles in my life, almost bought another one a couple months back.

Will buy one again in the future, but talking with friends who have ridden for years, it is worse now than it use to be for bikes. A lot more distracted drivers these days due to cell phones and all the automated stuff in cars theses days

I am actually considering a trike, its a bit bigger and slightly more noticeable

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I can’t watch the video yet, YouTube is blocked in China. But this is great Bill, enjoy the ride

There are literally thousands if scooters on the road in Beijing. Most of them are electric, none if them require a license. And most of them are delivery business being paid by the delivery. And all are just plain crazy, and apparently not subject to any vehicle and traffic law

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I’ve always liked scooters. I had a Honda scooter in my senior year of high school. Had to take a ferry across the sound in the morning, and would keep a little scooter on the Seattle side. Ride that to school and all over the city. So fun. some days I’d even make it to school.

I’ve wanted another one for years. Maybe something with a little more pep than the 80 cc 4 stroke engine that Honda Elite had. 😂

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I’ve always liked scooters. I had a Honda scooter in my senior year of high school. Had to take a ferry across the sound in the morning, and would keep a little scooter on the Seattle side. Ride that to school and all over the city. So fun. some days I’d even make it to school.

I’ve wanted another one for years. Maybe something with a little more pep than the 80 cc 4 stroke engine that Honda Elite had. 😂
Many moons ago i had a Yamaha seca 750 set up with a Kerker exhaust and a racing carb with associated tuning. I pulled on a back road, just behind a Honda scooter, I thought, no big deal, I’ll dust him easily. Much to my surprise, it was a lot harder than I thought. That little thing was quick

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Mine is a 2007 Piaggio BV250. It will do 70mph. Pretty quick overall.

Latest Discussions