Tony Dismukes, You were onto something: Car Jitsu

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Car Jitsu... a competition where you use your grappling skills in a car.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From my limited experience in playing with this, the point about space is key. If you can get someone collapsed and compressed in a corner, then it's much harder for them to escape or work counters than in a traditional pinning position on the mat. Think of how MMA fighters will push a downed opponent against the cage, only more so.

I really should get back to practicing this more. It's not really practical to do with a large class, but maybe I'll start throwing it into the mix when the weather warms up on those days when only 2-3 students show up for class.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I love to see this sort of thing. Generally, I think competition is the safest and most accessible form of application for most martial skills. A middle aged, white collar worker could, I suppose, get a job as a bouncer to gain practical experience applying martial arts skills. But it would be easier, safer, and probably more effective if he or she just competed. And I have said many times that, while every competitive ruleset will have limitations, the answer is to create more diverse rulesets and encourage participation in as many of them as possible.

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
All I can say is that in my car, I have a Phillips screwdriver within easy reach when I'm in the drivers seat. If I got in a real situation like this in my car, the attacker would be getting that screwdriver deep in an arterial area, temple or eye.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Several years ago a group of us were practicing this in a buddy's car. We broke the passenger seat. He's still a little bit pissed. So's his girlfriend.

We're still trying not to laugh.:)

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wait a few years and watch those guys claim that their techniques are too deadly for the octogon and that, statistically, 90% of fights end up in Twingos.

Latest Discussions