To tide me over…

Gyakuto128 137

Grandmaster
Supporting Member
…until I can fetch my beautiful new katana from Edinburgh!

IMG_4911.webp


A early Edō period (1603-1868) wakizashi (that’s a waa-kaa-zaa -shee to you over the pond😉) The steel features a mix of wood grain and straight wood grain , while the hamon is a tight, fine-grained gokunome with visible ashi and yo. The name “Hoshu Ju Fujiwara Masayuki” is engraved on the nakago.

Masayuki was a swordsmith of the Takada school, founded by Tomoyuki, who was active in the early Edo period. According to records, the school produced masterpieces in the Takada region for three generations.

In November 1971, the Society for the Preservation of Japanese Art Swords certified this wakizashi as an authentic work by Masayuki and issued a Kicho certificate of authenticity, recognizing it as a valuable piece within the sword community.

This is a practical Takada-school wakizashi, renowned for its exceptional cutting edge.

  • Blade length: 44.6 cm
  • Curvature: 1.3 cm
  • Number of Mekugi hole: 1
  • Sakihaba (width at end) : 21.8 mm
  • Sakikasane (thickness at end) : 5.6 mm
  • Motohaba (width at proximal end): 31.4 mm
  • Motokasane (thickness at proximal end): 6.7 mm
  • Signature: Hoshu ju Fujiwara Masayuki(front)
  • Era: Shinto (1596-1780)
  • Structure (blade form) : Shinogi-zukuri (ridged), Iori-mune (peaked back of blade)
  • Jigane: Itame with Mokume (burl pattern) mixed in
  • Hamon: Ko-gunome
  • Boshi: Midarekonde Komaru ni Kaeru
  • Weight: 500 g(blade only)
  • Nakago: Ubu
  • Koshirae: Shirasaya
  • Original Registration No.: Yamaguchi 20781
 
…until I can fetch my beautiful new katana from Edinburgh!

View attachment 34017

A early Edō period (1603-1868) wakizashi (that’s a waa-kaa-zaa -shee to you over the pond😉) The steel features a mix of wood grain and straight wood grain , while the hamon is a tight, fine-grained gokunome with visible ashi and yo. The name “Hoshu Ju Fujiwara Masayuki” is engraved on the nakago.

Masayuki was a swordsmith of the Takada school, founded by Tomoyuki, who was active in the early Edo period. According to records, the school produced masterpieces in the Takada region for three generations.

In November 1971, the Society for the Preservation of Japanese Art Swords certified this wakizashi as an authentic work by Masayuki and issued a Kicho certificate of authenticity, recognizing it as a valuable piece within the sword community.

This is a practical Takada-school wakizashi, renowned for its exceptional cutting edge.

  • Blade length: 44.6 cm
  • Curvature: 1.3 cm
  • Number of Mekugi hole: 1
  • Sakihaba (width at end) : 21.8 mm
  • Sakikasane (thickness at end) : 5.6 mm
  • Motohaba (width at proximal end): 31.4 mm
  • Motokasane (thickness at proximal end): 6.7 mm
  • Signature: Hoshu ju Fujiwara Masayuki(front)
  • Era: Shinto (1596-1780)
  • Structure (blade form) : Shinogi-zukuri (ridged), Iori-mune (peaked back of blade)
  • Jigane: Itame with Mokume (burl pattern) mixed in
  • Hamon: Ko-gunome
  • Boshi: Midarekonde Komaru ni Kaeru
  • Weight: 500 g(blade only)
  • Nakago: Ubu
  • Koshirae: Shirasaya
  • Original Registration No.: Yamaguchi 20781

Another one?!
 
It’s difficult for me to get up there for the next 4-6 months for various reasons. UK couriers won’t touch sharp pointy things, I can’t fly with swords so that leaves driving (8hrs) which I couldn’t handle at the best of times, or the train, on which I’d need to go first class @ £500 for the sake of space, comfort and ‘discretion’.

It’s very frustrating 😢
 
…until I can fetch my beautiful new katana from Edinburgh!

View attachment 34017

A early Edō period (1603-1868) wakizashi (that’s a waa-kaa-zaa -shee to you over the pond😉) The steel features a mix of wood grain and straight wood grain , while the hamon is a tight, fine-grained gokunome with visible ashi and yo. The name “Hoshu Ju Fujiwara Masayuki” is engraved on the nakago.

Masayuki was a swordsmith of the Takada school, founded by Tomoyuki, who was active in the early Edo period. According to records, the school produced masterpieces in the Takada region for three generations.

In November 1971, the Society for the Preservation of Japanese Art Swords certified this wakizashi as an authentic work by Masayuki and issued a Kicho certificate of authenticity, recognizing it as a valuable piece within the sword community.

This is a practical Takada-school wakizashi, renowned for its exceptional cutting edge.

  • Blade length: 44.6 cm
  • Curvature: 1.3 cm
  • Number of Mekugi hole: 1
  • Sakihaba (width at end) : 21.8 mm
  • Sakikasane (thickness at end) : 5.6 mm
  • Motohaba (width at proximal end): 31.4 mm
  • Motokasane (thickness at proximal end): 6.7 mm
  • Signature: Hoshu ju Fujiwara Masayuki(front)
  • Era: Shinto (1596-1780)
  • Structure (blade form) : Shinogi-zukuri (ridged), Iori-mune (peaked back of blade)
  • Jigane: Itame with Mokume (burl pattern) mixed in
  • Hamon: Ko-gunome
  • Boshi: Midarekonde Komaru ni Kaeru
  • Weight: 500 g(blade only)
  • Nakago: Ubu
  • Koshirae: Shirasaya
  • Original Registration No.: Yamaguchi 20781
Wow!
 
It’s difficult for me to get up there for the next 4-6 months for various reasons. UK couriers won’t touch sharp pointy things, I can’t fly with swords so that leaves driving (8hrs) which I couldn’t handle at the best of times, or the train, on which I’d need to go first class @ £500 for the sake of space, comfort and ‘discretion’.

It’s very frustrating 😢
You can’t just hire a guy? I would do it just for the drive!;)
 
You can’t just hire a guy? I would do it just for the drive!;)
It’s an expensive sword…I’ve told you how much. Would you trust ‘a guy’ with no insurance?

Americans like driving because America is a beautiful, open country, but in the UK, it’s sheer hell. Slow traffic due to roadworks everywhere, awful, expensive service station facilities and currently elevated fuel prices (thanks, ‘orange fat twat’).

There’s a bloke in my gym who’s offered to get for me with his electric car so it’d be very cheap, but I can’t ask him to do that for me. He’s a right-wing, conspiracy-obsessed, misogynistic, racist, jealous man and if you chat to his lean, muscular wife, prone to violence (he used to be a club bouncer)! And yet, over the months he’s befriended me, we laugh about stuff, he seeks my council, I take the p*ss out of him and doesn’t mind me chatting and laughing with his wife (“..,well you’re no real threat” 🤨). It’s odd who becomes your friend…🤷🏾‍♂️

Anyway, by waiting, I get another sword 🤓
 
It’s an expensive sword…I’ve told you how much. Would you trust ‘a guy’ with no insurance?

Americans like driving because America is a beautiful, open country, but in the UK, it’s sheer hell. Slow traffic due to roadworks everywhere, awful, expensive service station facilities and currently elevated fuel prices (thanks, ‘orange fat twat’).

There’s a bloke in my gym who’s offered to get for me with his electric car so it’d be very cheap, but I can’t ask him to do that for me. He’s a right-wing, conspiracy-obsessed, misogynistic, racist, jealous man and if you chat to his lean, muscular wife, prone to violence (he used to be a club bouncer)! And yet, over the months he’s befriended me, we laugh about stuff, he seeks my council, I take the p*ss out of him and doesn’t mind me chatting and laughing with his wife (“..,well you’re no real threat” 🤨). It’s odd who becomes your friend…🤷🏾‍♂️

Anyway, by waiting, I get another sword 🤓
You have an absolutely gorgeous collection to be sure!
 
You have an absolutely gorgeous collection to be sure!
In my will, I’m leaving giving them back to the people I bought them from. I couldn’t think of who else to leave them to and who would look after them appropriately.
 
Don’t even put that heinous image in my head🤢 Neutral pH water on a 400 year old blade is a crime against humanity!
Long ago I was part of a multi-school demo and a Japanese Master was cutting the top off of empty long neck beer bottles with his long sword using the flick of his wrist. Not a swing.
I thought it was rather gimmicky until I picked one up and saw how clean the cut was. Impressive.
I have broken hundreds of bottles with a reverse chop but they are never a clean cut.
The cheaters put a little water in the bottle for ballast.
Sometimes, I can blow the bottom of a bottle out without water using a palm heel. It is also rather easy if you put some water in the bottle.
 
Back
Top