To drop, or not to drop...Biden from the ticket...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the most recent gaffes by Biden careful staging for obama to have a reason to drop him from the ticket...and get hillary to join it...he has 22 days to make it happen...and apparently Biden did it again...

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-has-22-days-drop-biden_650014.html

President Barack Obama has slightly more than 22 days to drop Vice Presidential Joe Biden from the 2012 Democratic presidential ticket, according to lawyers familiar with the party nominating process. That is, Democrats have until September 6 to formally nominate their presidential ticket which will then be qualified for the 50 state ballots.

Renewed speculation that Biden could be dropped from the ticket comes on the heels of yet another gaffe by the vice president. "They gonna put y'all back in chains," Biden said of the Republican candidates for president and vice president yesterday at a campaign stop. CNN reported that a senior adviser called Biden's comments "not helpful," and that "they believe the vice president has knocked them off track."
Orrr...will they use the "health" reason or "spend more time with the family," reason?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't see how EITHER candidate can, at this late date drop their running mate and hope to win.
Which is not to say I can't understand why Obama wouldn't want to get the millstone named Biden from around his neck...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Orrr...will they use the "health" reason or "spend more time with the family," reason?

Orrrr....he was just doing what politician's do, and pandering to his audience? I mean, there's a lot about what he said, and a lot of reactions from the pundits, but the reaction to remember is that a room full of black people laughed and clapped.

Seriously, billi-it's interesting prognostication, getting Hillary on the ticket-a grab at the woman vote, a revitalization of the ticket, and a setup to kee[p the democrats in contol come 2016, but until it happens, you can't go grasping at everything the Electric City Amtrak Joetermouth says as.....well, anything but what usually comes out of politician's mouths, Democrat or Republican, and that's the same thing that comes out of the southbound end of a northbound steer.....:lfao:

And, I mean, sure, John McCain says that Obama "would be wise" to drop Biden and pick up Hillary, but would you take advidce from a guy on the other side, who actually picked Sarah Palin?????:lfao:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't see how EITHER candidate can, at this late date drop their running mate and hope to win.
Which is not to say I can't understand why Obama wouldn't want to get the millstone named Biden from around his neck...

LOL, he had not shot anybody in the face, so how bad can he really be!
(what made him pick the guy in the first place though...I mean, he's like the uncle you sit at the kiddy table on Thanksgiving!)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh, when I played in a band in the late 1980s, if we traced or photocopied bite of other people's work to use in our flyers, our manager would always laugh that we "Joe Biden'ed it".

Millstone...what a good illustration...LOL

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How bad can he be?
Really?
Really?
Really?
He's pretty friggin bad IMNSHO

Last edited by a moderator:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How bad can he be?
Really?
Really?
Really?
He's pretty friggin bad IMNSHO

Then again....the previous President did set a pretty low standard....

Like I said, I have the impression that Biden is the Uncle you don't allow on the grown up table at family gatherings, so the choice is perplexing in itself. But I don't think the VP ticket has ever been changed for reelections...

Last edited by a moderator:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Then again....the previous President did set a pretty low standard....

Like I said, I have the impression that Biden is the Uncle you don't allow on the grown up table at family gatherings, so the choice is perplexing in itself. But I don't think the VP ticket has ever been changed for reelections...

Roosevelt/Garner: 1933-41
Roosevelt/Wallace: 1941-45
Roosevelt/Truman: 1945.

Scrapped Wallace for being......weird, with communist sympathies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Roosevelt/Garner: 1933-41
Roosevelt/Wallace: 1941-45
Roosevelt/Truman: 1945.

Scrapped Wallace for being......weird, with communist sympathies.

so you had to go back over a half century....

I guess FDR was hard on his second chair...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
so you had to go back over a half century....

I guess FDR was hard on his second chair...

Ignored them, mostly, until he had to choose a likely successor because of declining health. Fourth term V.P pretty much meant "President," and so he wound up-under pressure-picking Truman.

Oh, and:

Lincoln/Hamlin
Lincoln/Johnson

Jefferson/Burr
Jefferson/Clinton

Grant/Colfax
Grant/Wilson

There are others.................. and don't forget JEOPARDY! Damn shame U.S. Presidents wasn't the final category...:lfao:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lincoln/Hamlin
Lincoln/Johnson

Jefferson/Burr
Jefferson/Clinton

Grant/Colfax
Grant/Wilson

There are others.................. and don't forget JEOPARDY! Damn shame U.S. Presidents wasn't the final category...:lfao:

roflmao! ok, now you are going even further back!

HELL, the first VPs were the runner-ups from the election! I am sure that made for a fun dinner conversation...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ignored them, mostly, until he had to choose a likely successor because of declining health. Fourth term V.P pretty much meant "President," and so he wound up-under pressure-picking Truman.

Oh, and:

Lincoln/Hamlin
Lincoln/Johnson

Jefferson/Burr
Jefferson/Clinton
Interesting, as in William Jefferson Clinton, you think?
Grant/Colfax
Grant/Wilson

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In any case, Biden wont' be dropped. He's a Catholic. As is Paul Ryan. Get it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...iden-a-tal_n_1785421.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

Both the Democrats and the Republicans have a lot of Catholic voters to woo. Neither one can risk having 'on the fence' Catholics bail because they can't find any other reason to vote for or against a candidate. The Catholic vote may no longer be a voting bloc, but Catholic voters are a big bunch of voters. Obama put Biden on the ticket originally to help deal with a perception that he was either a Muslim or that his brand of Christianity included 'God Damn America'. Now he's distanced himself from both accusations, but he's not particularly religious, and like it or not, America likes their leaders to be at least superficially religious (I'm not arguing that it should be that way, I'm just noting that it is that way). Each side finds advantages in having a Catholic in the #2 slot. And of course, 8 years later, the GOP would have a very viable candidate for President in Ryan Paul. Biden on the other hand, hasn't a snowball's chance in hell to become President, ever.