Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Joe Biden’s just a barrel of gaffes

By Jonathan Chait
The LA Times
February 04, 2007 in print edition M-4
EXCERPT:

DELAWARE Sen. Joe Biden has been telling people for months that he’s going to run for president, as if nobody could actually believe it. Even when he formally announced last week, I still didn’t believe it. In fact, I’m not quite sure what it would take to make me believe it. If I turned on the television and watched Biden formally accepting the nomination at the Democratic National Convention, I might believe it then. (On the other hand, I’d probably figure I was suffering some hallucinatory episode and check myself into a hospital.)
I’m not saying Biden shouldn’t be president. I have tons of respect for him, and I think he’d do a terrific job if he could get it. I just find it amusing that he thinks there’s some chance he could actually become president. It’s a case study of that bizarre mental affliction that strikes so many senators. They see younger, less-experienced Senate colleagues – who are far less esteemed than they are – running for president, and they’re offended. If the 100 senators were the only ones who could vote, Biden would probably beat Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. Unfortunately for Biden, that’s not how it works.
(((SNIP)))
Biden looks as if he’s the product of a laboratory experiment designed to create the world’s worst presidential candidate. If the Obama gaffe doesn’t knock him out of the race, something else will. I doubt he makes it to Iowa.
Yes, Biden’s very knowledgeable and dedicated. But to win the presidency, you actually have to be good at mass politics. Why is Biden not smart enough to recognize that?
(((END EXCERPT)))
Interesting reading.
The laboratory experiment line is devastating.

Latest Discussions