To cup or not to cup?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by D.Cobb

you can end up with the problem, commonly referred to in Australia as, getting your freckle puckered.

Makes you walk funny too!
--Dave

I think I want to move to Australia just for the awesome sayings!!
Thats hillarious!

7sm

OP
C

c2kenpo

Our most recent belt test this Friday made me think of this thread.

6th Jr BlackBelt
2nd Jr Black Belt
Green Belt Adult
Blue Belt Adult
Two Yellow Belt Adults

and about 30 kids Testing

I was the primary PB (Punching Bag) for the group especially the adults and the black belts. it was a really great test night for the group the kids did great and the adults were crisp.
But had it not been for the Original Bannana Cup I wold be crushed and I really did take some hits to the groin. The worst of it was that on those shots the strike directed at the groin would slide left or right and strike me on the external groin muscle. Hurt like crazy but better then my cookies on the mat.

Just another reason I say the cup is a godsend, but designed for training where you "have to" let someone hit thier targets. Out on the street I'm not about to let someone get that close.

Train intelligently, Fight realisticly

Dave "C2" Gunzburg

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

Sometimes I wear one and sometimes I don't. What guidelines do you use when deciding to wear one or not?

When I signed up initially I thought I was told to wear a cup as part of the sparring gear so I interpreted that to mean we did not need it on non-sparring nights.

One night during techniques I got nailed and the instructor then took a survey and reminded everyone that the cup was part of your uniform. Wear it. All the time. Especially in Kenpo.

So now I wear it all the time and on occasion I remind students "It's insurance, not a Target." :)

:asian:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All of this talk about cupping and not cupping, and taking shots to the Nads is giving me the HEE BEE-GEE BEES, ouchy!!!
Just the taught of this makes a guy wanna puke his nuts out :barf:
I most definitely always make it a point to wear a cup whenever full contact sparring is involved. Now, after reading some of these painful posts I think I should CUP UP even when doing non-contact sparring. Ya just never know when some uncoordinated lower belt might let a kick slip and catch you in the cooters :waah:
Come to think about it, I should be wearing a cup 24-7...

OP
E

Elfan

I wear it whenever I'm practicing with other people. I consider it part of the uniform.

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by kenposcum

One of my instructor's favorite "attitude adjustments" was to pull the cup away and snap it on the "jewels." It hurt.
Another time I got kicked so hard in the cup that I was left with a bruise outlining my crotch.
Yeah, these incidents were painful. But how much worse would they have been cupless?

Man they used to kick guys out of school for snapping bras but we liked girls! Man i still cant think of a good reason to mess with someones junk especially when elastic is envolved!

:rofl:

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter

Man they used to kick guys out of school for snapping bras but we liked girls! Man i still cant think of a good reason to mess with someones junk especially when elastic is envolved!

:rofl:

This can be a common occurrence if you have an EPAK instructor with a penchant(sp?) for the scoop kick.:mad:

--Dave

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you have life insurance sometimes and sometimes not... or auto insurance sometimes and sometimes not? It's about what you are willing to risk on any given day.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Bill Parsons

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
You know, this is wearing scars to the most of the rest of the world.
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

I wear mine to the mall. And that's all I wear. Well except for my boots. I'm sexah!

Anyway, since we are talking about cups let me tell you a little story about the last time I didn't wear my cup to train martial arts. I was sparring with my brother in law who's been a student of mine for about 2 years now and still has really bad technique but insane power. He's wild but when he connects it's like a truck. So... we are sparring and I'm just going kind of easy trying to get him to learn some things and feel his groove when he decides to throw a full powered turning sidekick at me.... but because of his bad technique his knee is bent down and his foot aimed up so instead of kicking me in the gut he pounds right up into my groin.... full power, no holding back. So there's a little bit of good news, he missed my scrotum! Lucky me, instead he CRUSHED MY BIRDIE BETWEEN HIS HEEL AND MY PELVIC BONE. I thought I was going to barf and then I thought I was going to pass out, I lay on the floor shaking like a frightened child for about 10 minutes.

I got myself checked out and I was fine but the doctor told me I was lucky because some people have had to have reconstructive surgery from injuries like that because the tube gets ruptured. It was purple for a month though.... and unusable for almost as long.

This is the "scared straight" method of getting people to wear cups.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
S

Spud

We don't have established sparring nights, so people have gotten in the habit of not wearing a cup and either running into the locker room for quick install or going with out. Last night, one of the students decided to go without. He took a kick dead on, dropped hard and stayed curled up crying for 5 minutes (he's a tough 17-year old) it was another 5 minutes before he was walking. I've seen plenty of guys get hit without protection, but never like that. I hope he's o.k.

For me, it is part of the uniform, I don't bow in cupless. (XO athletic in a supporter, fairly comfy from karatedepot.com)

OP
S

SMP

I dont wear a cup on the street so I dont wear one when I am in class. And will usually not wear a cup unless required at a tournament. My instructor once crushed another mans testicle in a tourney down in SanFran, he recomends students wear them but we do not avoid contact if some one is not protected.

OP
T

tsunami

A good shot to the groin is not only painfull, but can also be expensive and or cause long term damage. I know, by how nervous I am when I forget my cup. There is no false sense of security. Cups allow you train hard with out injury. I think that Bike makes the best ones. It is just not worth the risk.

George

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
man...doing ukemi during judo and jujutsu would hurt a lot more with a cup...i never wear one for those arts....

and the only time i wear it for tkd is when i know i'm going to be full contact sparring...

i've managed to escape groin shot free so far....but every dog as its day...as the saying goes

kempojack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I always wear my cup you just never know. On the other hand the other night I didn't were my mouth gaurd and took a pretty good roundhouse kick to the face and all the bonding on one of my front teeth came off.

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
man...doing ukemi during judo and jujutsu would hurt a lot more with a cup...i never wear one for those arts....

and the only time i wear it for tkd is when i know i'm going to be full contact sparring...

i've managed to escape groin shot free so far....but every dog as its day...as the saying goes

just wondering why folks don't wear them during judo or grappling? i wear mine all the time when sparring or grappling. case in point, i was grappling with a blackbelt and performed ouchi gari, as he fell he drew his shins up parallel to the floor. i landed directly on a knee so hard it lifted my feet straight up off the mat. we both looked at each other and laughingly said, wow, that would have hurt. it did hurt, the cup pressed on the inguinal ligaments(recently had hernia surgery) but i don't want to think of what would have happened if i didn't have it on. ultimately, it's up to you, me? i will always wear it. :asian:

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not wear a cup for one reason only and that is that things happen and you have to know how to fight through the pain on the street

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
if ya got it then use it...protect those nuts lol. Seriously right now i am not using one cause i broke the strap...lol really...and i just havn't gotten a new one yet. theres nothing worng with proper precausions

Latest Discussions