TKD Master

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a quick aside…

In the US, what percentage of TKD classes take place in dedicated gyms/schools and what percentage are taught “part time” in community centres, church halls and the like? In Spain it’s mainly the former (although very few gyms offer only MA), whereas in the UK I remember there was a lot more of the latter (although I’m talking about 15 years ago).

I think it's probably a lot of the latter, so far as the USA is concerned. My instructor and I teach in a rec center (with a phenomenal amount of space, the upside to the situation, whose negatives include the fact that we're limited in what we can do with the space on our own, e.g., we don't have the freedom to adapt the space for useful equipment such as heavy hanging bags, etc.) I think Iceman's in a similar situation, and there are a number of other MTers who train and/or teach in the kind of public spaces you mention. The big commercial outfits have their own big commercial schools, of course, but I suspect that a good chunk of MA training is kind of 'underground'... it goes on mostly invisibly, in the kinds of venues you mention, and probably not a lot of money changes hands in those situations.

Last edited:
OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always taught Taekwondo aside from working full time, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Even my instructor, a Korean-born 9th Dan, has endeavors outside of Taekwondo with which he uses to make income. As a result, I've never had the need to teach for money-although it produces side income. Therefore, I've always taught how I felt like, and never had the need to modify or change my traditional methods to get more students in the door. I'm sure there are plenty of instructors who've watered down what they taught to make it more acceptable to potential students and young children. I'm sure I'd have lots of 8-9 year old students if I did that. No thanks.

Young,am this thread was to say thamks for some people that have tought TKD for the love without anything and it has nothing to do with 8 and 9 years, please let keep this thread from going south and lets help it stay on course here. We have enough of the other threads going.

Thank you all for the input and remembering those that truely cares about the Art.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Great comments everyone...I have been blessed with the privilege to go from a full time job- part time instructor, to a full time multi school owner.
I can tell you the last two years hasn't been easy with the fuel prices, we experienced a staff split-just to mention a few challenges.

For me, if it were truly about the money, I would have quit a long time ago.

I haven't been on MT allot lately- I have been devoting 16 to 17 hours a day to projects to get done before the end of the year. 1. Our curriculum white through 4th degree Black on DVD, a new website just to mention a few.

I get to wear many hats, Marketing and design, enrollment director, chief executive officer of my company- Oh yeah, did I mention i am the head janitor.

The sweetness is teaching! The above is a necessary 'evil' of running a school.

I think, (for me) To run a successful school (this includes quality of the student technique-to bring out what God has given them) you have to run it as a business. Structure is a must!

My ultimate goal is to reach as many lives as I can through teaching the traditional aspect of my beloved art.

I recently told this to a young black belt regarding 'getting paid' to teach.
"If money is all you are worried about-then you are teaching for the wrong reasons. Teaching martial arts is a privilege and an honor, and it should come from your heart first."

In my opinion, you have to have learned to serve before you can lead effectively.

I have mentioned before- I tell my students when they look at my patch that says master instructor,I see the word master servant, but more importantly, I tell them to consider me a master student, I am still a student first. all too often I believe some 'masters' forget this basic tenet!

Finally, There is no success with out sacrifice!. (check my quote)

Last edited:

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry, thanks for trying to refocus the thread back to where you wanted it to be. I don't think it will work though, sorry. To many here think they are the answer and, well, .................................................

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, thanks for trying to refocus the thread back to where you wanted it to be. I don't think it will work though, sorry. To many here think they are the answer and, well, .................................................

Wade this is why you belong with these other great Master, thank you for the kinds word and for the record you are probaly right.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know I think think our countries would probably be in chaos if it weren't for the 'quiet' people who go about making a difference for so many people without making a fuss or shouting their own worth.

The instructors mentioned on here are typical examples of selflessness and hardwork done for others. There's similiar people in most sports, youth organisations, charities etc and thank G-d for it. They are the backbone of our societies.

When you see someone working for the good of others, in our cases it's the martial arts instructors who remain true to their values while passing on those same values you have some hope that this world isn't quite as bad as it seems!

Latest Discussions