TKD kicks vs. traditional kicks

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting so I want to know more. There is a chance as you mentioned that when performing a round kick like peet chagui you can meet an elbow and this is very painful, bit this can occur with a peet chagui or dolyo chagui both of them aimed to the stomach/torso area. Why you wrote that only with peet chagui and not dolyo, can you be more specific? in both cases peet/dolyo chagui the instep is the part of the foot used to make contact no matter ribs for example or elbow.

The difference is that a 45 degree kick can impact the point of the elbow kicking upward which is very solid and has the length of the upper arm reinforcing it (along the line of travel).

The 90 degree roundhouse if it hits the elbow it hits the side of it, pushing the elbow in to the ribs. There's not the immediate stopping impact, but a cushioning effect and you're not hitting the point of the elbow.

That's why there's a much lower risk of injury to the instep...

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of people used do Peet Chagi to the body, but what happens is you don't get a good sound or contact on the hogu, and people bash their insteps on elbows kicking like that. If you turn your hips over properly, then you won't hurt your instep and you will make good contact on the hogu.

We still practice the peet chagi as our bread and butter kick. Personally I tend to use a round kick more often than a proper peet chagi and if it was my club I'd try to change everyone over to a more modern round kick, but it's not...

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
The difference is that a 45 degree kick can impact the point of the elbow kicking upward which is very solid and has the length of the upper arm reinforcing it (along the line of travel).

The 90 degree roundhouse if it hits the elbow it hits the side of it, pushing the elbow in to the ribs. There's not the immediate stopping impact, but a cushioning effect and you're not hitting the point of the elbow.

That's why there's a much lower risk of injury to the instep...

Ok the foot going upward at 45º can catch the tip of the elbow, the foot going paralel to the floor can catch the arm and pushit to the ribs, if this is the reason then it has some valid point.

Thanx.

Manny

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
in both cases peet/dolyo chagui the instep is the part of the foot used to make contact no matter ribs for example or elbow.

Actually I try not to strike with the instep. Rather, I aim for the area right below the ankle bone, directly above the instep, or what most Taekwondoin consider the instep. If I hit it, it makes for a better impact, and if they slide back or away, I still might be able to catch them, with my instep.

The area right below the ankle bone, directly above the instep is the part of the foot that is used to do a Hapkido roundhouse kick, Hapkido being the first to do roundhouse kick with the toes pointed. Traditionally, the roundhouse kick in Taekwondo was done with the ball of the foot; Hapkido uses that area directly below the ankle bone, the theory being that the roundhouse kick simulated a knife hand strike to the neck. The high Hapkido roundhouse kick is actually done at a downward angle, like a knifehand strike. The downward knifehand strike in Hapkido is done with that little protruding bone at the bottom of your hand, below your pinky finger. That's why I said in the Hapkido discussion area that I would consider the knife hand to be one of the key techniques of Hapkido, whether it is striking, joint locks (arm bar), throws, or kicks like roundhouse. But the discussion sort of died, so we never had a chance to discuss it fully.

Latest Discussions